Bulletproof From Now On !

Rafael Macia

A bottle of water opened in the bag I was carrying my checkbook recorder in. I do my taxes, recording deductions.with my checkbook record as my main reference.

I changed from Noodler's Old Manhattan Black( made for the Fountain Pen Hospital), to Waterman's black on March 15 look .....

Edited by Rafael Macia

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• PJohnP

• Rafael Macia

• Possum Hill

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough break! It looks like the Waterman ink may still be legible enough to discern what was written (since you are the writer). I hope so and that you are able to recover all of your information. Good Luck.

Lucky for me it was. But the wash off of the Waterman's was pretty dramatic.

R

Kant

That's startling. I did some quick testing with Noodler's when I got it. Non-waterproof inks seem to just run off the page. I wish everything was at least a bit waterproof. There are some beautiful inks that don't write anything important in because I know it's not going to last through even a drizzle of rain.

Wow. Thanks for this reminder! Just as I was thinking, "What do I care about bulletproof or waterproof anyway?"

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Completely off topic.. But what is that beautiful pen?

I think of my FPs as my children.

Completely off topic.. But what is that beautiful pen?

Pelikan 100N ca. 1940

Kant

Nothing against Bulletproofs but there are plenty of non-Bulletproof inks that are either water resistant or have very water-resistant components. For instance, Pilot Blue is very water resistant, PR Chocolat has a water resistant red component, Bay State Blue is not Bulletproof but is very water resistant, all iron gall inks are water resistant, Noodlers Habanero isn't Bulletproof but is very legible after a watery attack, Noodlers RedBlack and BlueBlack have the black component as Bulletproof , MB Sepia and Racing Green (both discontinued) have good water resistance, ...Unless you work in a lab, you should test your non-Bulletproof inks to see if they're adequate for you before rushing out to buy an ink designed to fight off attacks by all chemicals.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Chequing, contracts, credit card receipts, and all suchlike things are only bulletproof or similar inks for me for about two years for similar reasons. I still like to use various shading inks that can be lost with water exposure, but no "serious" writing is done with anything that runs.

John P.

Very dramatic (involuntary) demonstration!

Lately, I've been trying to do my "serious" writing with more durable inks. This just gives me more motivation.

Lol, prove I'm right when I use bulletproof or minimally waterproof ink and not a BIC!

Messmer

I had written pages of notes in a long, narrow Rhodia-type notepad -- an afternoon spent in a museum notes -- and the notebook was lying on my desk at work, next to the water bottle I use on bike rides. When I accidentally tipped the water bottle, I didn't think to stop it, because the top was on it.

Except that the top wasn't screwed on, because I had been pouring water into a glass, sigh.

Splash goes the water over my little desktop scanner and invoices and the notepad.

No one does this sort of thing on purpose. No one plans for accidents. That's why they're called accidents.

Luckily, I'd used my Edison Pearl with Platinum Carbon Black for those notes, because I couldn't even think about saving the notepad until I had saved the scanner and invoices.

I suppose if I had used a non-waterproof or a non-water-resistant ink, I could have returned to the museum and tried to recreate my notes... but, really, who has the time for that when there's so much new or other stuff to enjoy?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to convince anyone else to use waterproof inks. I prefer them, but I'm not confusing me for (impersonal) you.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Now don't get me wrong -- anybody out there -- but I use practically no waterproof or near waterproof or even bulletproof inks -- under "bulletproof" I know what they mean to say (I think) but what the heck...

Any pouring of water ... or red wine --- or white wine, even Orange Crush etc etc onto the page is for me nothing else than "an act of God", so that I don't worry about this. If it cums, it cums...

Of course, if I write my wife a testament, and she can't read it, again,... what the heck?...

All of my bank transactions, loans or mortgages are already in the data bank of me and the bank, anyways, main thing is that my pen and ink are still there...

Cher http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Yawn.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Accidents happen, sure, and I'll roll with the punches, but... the waterproof inks are out there, and they're dark and saturated, and I love using them, so why not? I've written PLENTY of dreck that I should go drown in a bathtub but will have to feed a bonfire instead, so it isn't really about what I've written... except that sometimes it is.

I don't use ONLY waterproof inks. The reds I like, for instance, are not waterproof. I'm not an absolutist. I'm willing to change if the reasons fit my needs or wants. But I don't understand the not-understanding why some folks prefer using waterproof inks. I don't understand the not-understanding that we don't all love the very same thing as much as I do (whoever the "I" is who says or thinks it).

etherX in To Miasto

I don't understand the not-understanding that we don't all love the very same thing as much as I do (whoever the "I" is who says or thinks it).

When these discussions come up in person, with someone strongly insisting I should like/desire/covet/lust-after the item that they endorse, I point to my well-worn boots and remark to the other person, "These boots are really comfortable - I can walk twenty miles in them. They should be perfect for you, too."

This is usually followed by a widely incredulous look, especially when their feet aren't anywhere near the same proportion as mine. So, I follow up with, "Yeah, and the <fill-in-the-blank> that you're suggesting may be just as good a fit..."

It's just ink after all, and free advice can be worth at least as much as it costs, but sometimes not a bit more than that.

John P.

I don't understand the not-understanding that we don't all love the very same thing as much as I do (whoever the "I" is who says or thinks it).

When these discussions come up in person, with someone strongly insisting I should like/desire/covet/lust-after the item that they endorse, I point to my well-worn boots and remark to the other person, "These boots are really comfortable - I can walk twenty miles in them. They should be perfect for you, too."

I don't doubt that it is far easier to dissuade people from pushing their opinions on me in person. Heh.

Not that I believe any of these opinions are directed at me. I'm just sayin'....

etherX in To Miasto

I don't doubt that it is far easier to dissuade people from pushing their opinions on me in person. Heh.

Not that I believe any of these opinions are directed at me. I'm just sayin'....

We're wasting time with with repeated discussions of whether anyone needs waterproof or bulletproof ink. It's time we faced the more important question, does anyone really need black ink?

Surprisingly, that happened to me yesterday as well…enough water leaked out of my bottle to soak through 2 layers of leather and right through the compartment where I keep my Moleskine, 2 FPs and 1 lead holder. Very fortunately, only about 1/10th of every page got wet — around the spine area on the bottom. The elastic band on the Moleskine prevented rubbing and further damage.

Sorry to see you've come off far worse than I have. I'm also seriously considering ordering bulletproof ink online now, after just one experience (too many).

I sympathize -- I have had hardier inks save my bacon already, and swear by them (Noodler's and the various iron gall inks). Yet I do still find a place in my ink rotation for my Diamine, J. Herbin, et.al -- mostly because I like them. At work I have altered my working area (i.e. my desk) to ensure that a beverage spill does not ruin my documentation. For anything remotely official, I use Iron Gall in or better.

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

I too have finally succumbed to using a "bulletproof" ink for addressing envelopes. I use the black ink with a glass dip pen. Someday I may consider loading it in a Lamy Vista I keep on my desk for grading. I certainly understand the attraction, especially after an accident such as the one described. I have learned from my own experiences with my own pens, however. If my pens were modern cc fillers, I'm sure I'd be on the bandwagon. Other than that...

Your produce alone was worth the trip...