Deccan M1000

watch_art

Every now and then I see something on FPN that I think would be too cool to have. Then reality kicks me in the... face. :P

Yeah, that thing costs too much. It's a limited edition. Etc etc.

But when I saw a pen that was a one of a kind, I didn't even pretend to entertain thoughts of owning it.

FPNer Hari317 had made a custom Deccan eyedropper that can take a Pelikan M1000 nib unit. I think there's a few of em out there now, but still, I never

pretended I'd ever get my hands on one.

No hope. No chance. Don't even bother.

About a month ago I got an email from one of my FPN buddies, literally out of nowhere, asking me if I'd like to borrow and write a review of this magnificent beast.

WHAT?? Of course! How could I turn such an offer down? I couldn't of course.

So within a few weeks I had this thing in my hands. I was writing and drawing with it. And I hated it.

It's not mine and I know there's no point in warming up to it because I'll never have it. Then he tells me he's planning on selling it, and that the review was going to help.

Cool. I love to help folks out. So then the little wheels in my head started grinding and turning about. (They really need to be oiled)

So I offer him something for trade. No way. But I did receive a TWSBI from him for an old painting I did in college. I hope he likes it. My wife wanted a clear pen, and now she has one. She loves it, too.

But he still doesn't want to make any kind of trade of pens or art or combinations for this Deccan.

So he says "Why don't you just sell the pen you're offering to me as trade? That'll cover it." DUH! Why didn't I think of that? Done and sold and now this baby is MINE!

So now that it is mine, I can give it the love and affection it needs (I know, I'm being silly). :roflmho:

And a review...

gallery_41188_9_37483.jpg

INITIAL IMPRESSION

There was no fancy box. Just a clear plastic tube and this amazing pen stuffed inside. I've got a couple of pens that are bigger, but this thing is still quite imposing.

It's not so big that it's hard to hold or uncomfortable to use, but it is better suited for use at the desk or table. Working with this thing in bed is just awkward. I like to write and doodle at night before I turn out the lights, and I don't bring this one with me to bed at all.

QUALITY AND CONSTRUCTION

gallery_41188_9_60776.jpg

gallery_41188_9_32180.jpg

gallery_41188_9_12016.jpg

I'd say that this thing is really well made. You can see the hand of the person who made it in the stray scratches here and there on the polished portions of the ebonite. It's a heavy and sturdy pen and feels very solid in the hand. The only place where it looses points is with the cap. It takes 8 full turns to thread the thing on and off. Yikes. Not something you'll pull out for quick notes here and there. The clip is nice and sturdy, too. It's not just decorative at all.

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN

I really like the looks of it. I love the contrast created with the polished and textured areas. This pen with this big honkin nib is just gorgeous.

FILLING

Eyedropper!! Woot woot!! I think this is one of my favorite types of filler ever.

NIB

Here's where it really shines. This Pel nib is fantastic. It is just a big silky smooth SOFT and springy M nib. And I love it. I love to write with this thing. And it's REALLY flexible. Too bad it's not an XF though.

Cheers.

gallery_41188_9_68058.jpg

gallery_41188_9_18935.jpg

gallery_41188_9_100213.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• 79spitfire

• kcunvong

• floydee1

Whoa! It looks like a WWII torpedo! :happyberet:

Betcha it's bigger than the DaniTrio Mikado I once tried (felt like writing with a bottle of wine).

I am really glad you are enjoying it because you are so dexterous with your hands and this one will keep you busy w/out worrying to run out of ink!:thumbup:

Enjoy!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Nice pictures! I always thought the Deccans were ugly till I saw your photos! Now I am thinking of getting one...But gee, EIGHT turns?!

the modern pel1000 nibs are that flexy?

Yeah, I'm afraid they do have a decent amount of flex (or "spring," if you think "flex" is a special term) of give to them. Much more than any other modern Pelikan nib (though I haven't tried the new 101n).

I bought an XXF from a member shortly after receiving a couple of tempting writing samples

Like this one. (Hope he doesn't mind the link, but it is available to the public and I think he took the snapshot for me.)

Of course, there are many, many flexible pens (particularly vintage) you could get for less than the cost of an M1000. You could get 3 Waterman 52s in great condition with flexier nibs for the cost of an aftermarket M1000.

But if the M1000 is of interest anyway, as it was for me, then you might want to try one. They do write appreciably wetter than the other Pelikan models, so keep that in mind. Get a writing sample from the seller.

8 turns! :yikes: taking too long to un-cap is why I'm not fond of my Taccia Merit! (otherwise a great pen!)

Love the looks of this pen though. The combo of rough and smooth finish in ebonite is very appealing.

*8 T-U-R-N-S!*

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

*sigh* :puddle:

*8 turns!*

Wanna trade???? :roflmho:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

No way. This is one of those pens that I wanted the second that I saw it, and the fact that I actually got it must mean something. There must be some divine intervention here, or Karma or something. I can't believe I got this and I feel so lucky to have it. :D

LOL, I figured you would say that! I just love the way the ink was flowing onto the paper in the video. Congrats!

Wow, I never knew the flex potential of the 18C M1000. Makes me think twice about looking for an M800 with a 14C nib. Congratulations.

So, all Hari did was unscrew the nib unit off a Deccan Masterpiece and replace it with an M1000 nib unit? The threads are perfectly matched?

Edited by kcunvong

Shawn, nice writing and amazing flourish your nib has. BTW which ink have you used in the writing samples?

So, all Hari did was unscrew the nib unit off a Deccan Masterpiece and replace it with an M1000 nib unit? The threads are perfectly matched?

:headsmack:

The Deccan masterpiece has a friction fit nib and feed. A new section has to be manufactured with slightly increased diameter to accomodate the M1000 nib unit, cut threads inside it and design an end stop inside. This means a new barrel and cap to be designed too.

I had called this pen the M1000ED. Shawn's pen is one of a kind, the only one made with the brushed finish. I retained one gloss finished pen. Only 5 pens were made in all. talk of LEs.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Hari! Yeah it is special. I like using parts of both names, hence Deccan M1000. :P

I'm using Noodler's black in it right now. I've got some borealis and pelikan black on the way. I'm going to play with some black inks to see what I enjoy most. I've got a feeling I'm really going to enjoy the Pelikan black b/c of how much I like their blue black.

And I never knew how flexy this thing would be either. I was totally surprised when I started writing with it. I always thought 18K nibs were poorly suited to this type of work, which is why the nib guys mostly/only modify 14k nibs for flex, and all the vintage flex nibs seem to be 14k. I know I read that somewhere....

Shawn, nice writing and amazing flourish your nib has. BTW which ink have you used in the writing samples?

:headsmack:

The Deccan masterpiece has a friction fit nib and feed. A new section has to be manufactured with slightly increased diameter to accomodate the M1000 nib unit, cut threads inside it and design an end stop inside. This means a new barrel and cap to be designed too.

I had called this pen the M1000ED. Shawn's pen is one of a kind, the only one made with the brushed finish. I retained one gloss finished pen. Only 5 pens were made in all. talk of LEs.

Wish I had one. I have a couple of M1000 nibs, but just one M1000. The idea of having a relatively inexpensive body to host an M1000 nib appeals to me. Sort of like the Noodler's ebonite pens that can use a wide array of #2 nibs.

• 5 months later...

Added a video to the original post.

Changed my mind about that xf though - would love a broad or double broad.

Edited by watch_art

looks very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time