Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Pilot Vanishing Point In Matte Black

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 hudsong

hudsong

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 18:46

FEDEX Dropped off an awfully large box today... for a pen. Pilot has chose some curious packaging for this newest addition to their VP line

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pen is actually sandwiched between two pieces of plastic, and the top of the box has a magnetic closure. I'll be using it for a 6x6 (120mm, medium format) picture frame :thumbup:

The pen is just like the other Gunmetal Gray Rhodium VP I have, though it seems a tad lighter, and it is also a drier writer. This is due to the difference in nibs: 14k gold on the regular Gunmetal, and 18k rhodium plated on the Matte Black.

It's a very fine writer, in both senses of the word. The ink used is Noodler's Walnut, my favorite and only ink.

Posted Image
The bottom-most row of vertical lines was done with the Gunmetal 14k nibbed VP. You can see some width difference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
A fine pen

Posted Image

Posted Image

10/10. The perfect pen for me. Soon, I'll be selling the other. Thanks for reading!

#2 Dripp

Dripp

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:39

Awesome Pen! love the matte look, now if only I could get this in a decimo.

#3 macumba

macumba

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:38

I like your Namiki pen, it's beautiful.

Best Regards,

Carlos.

#4 bjcmatthews

bjcmatthews

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:58

Wow, what a great pen. I'm not a fan of vanishing points (sold my first and last one) but that matte finish makes the pen look fantastic. I'm not a fan of super glossy metal pen bodies. that finish is almost good enough to make me want to try another vp. almost...:)

#5 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 13:08

Nice, first time I've seen a photo even. I like it a lot. Thanks for the review.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#6 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:45

Yes, nice review. I've been often tempted by a VP and this matte black one just might do it.

#7 JMP

JMP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 19:13

Thanks for the review and photos. Which nib size did you get? Do the VP's sit well in a shirt pocket? I may have to pick one of these up.

#8 ralfstc

ralfstc

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 19:59

Sorry, bad post.

Edited by ralfstc, 08 April 2011 - 19:59.

#9 hudsong

hudsong

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:18

Thanks for the review and photos. Which nib size did you get? Do the VP's sit well in a shirt pocket? I may have to pick one of these up.

Hey,

I haven't tried it out in a shirt pocket, as I own no shirts with pockets :/
It is a Fine nib.

#10 MadAmos

MadAmos

Radioactive

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:24

I have carried a Pilot Vanishing Point almost every day for 5+ years I find them to be the perfect pocket pen. My Two 1 fine and 1 medium for my wife just arrived yesterday from Pam Braun and they are already in use. :happyberet:
Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.
Albert Einstein

#11 mcg1355

mcg1355

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 18:48

Just got the same pen in the mail yesterday! I absolutely love it. So far I'm using the case / box to hold the pen, it just looks so cool how the pen appears to float. The picture frame idea is great I'll have to try it out. I got the medium nib and so far I'm really happy with the choice; it gives a line just large enough to properly show off your ink and I've been flipping it over to get a super fine line when I need to do sub and super scripts, which is quite often for me. I was surprised by how well the nib works when flipped, it's just so smooth. Also, this is my first higher quality fp so that may be why I am so impressed by this pen.

— Nick

#12 Mrsal

Mrsal

No Doubt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2011 - 21:31

i like, hopefully i can deal with the clip there, i might get one in a few days

#13 paperskater

paperskater

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:46

Beautiful! I placed an order for mine a few days ago. Can't wait!
Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

#14 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2011 - 23:29

Oh how funny! I was looking at this pen on Todd Nussbaum's site last night :roflmho: I was thinking "Should I get it?" and then I said...."neh"....but then I said "yes I should" and then I said "no, I'll wait for a review!". And now, here it is. Is there any way you could get the 14k nib instead of the 18k? I like wet writers.
Posted Image

#15 bridgettt

bridgettt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2011 - 23:45

My matte black writes fairly wet. It isn't dry. The nib is nice and springy. I like it much better than the 14K VP nibs that I have.
"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

#16 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:56

WOW, you mean it comes with a picture frame too! :ltcapd:

Nice pen. I wonder if I should indenture the kids into slavery or just sell them outright. :hmm1:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#17 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,519 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:05

Thanks for the nice review! I've been looking at this, as I already have two VPs and love them. Not sure I like the matte black as much as others do. I'm much more drawn to the new white model. But, I'm glad you enjoy yours :)
Tamara

#18 Dino71

Dino71

Witless & Wasted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 19:23

+1!

I like the Capless concept but the Decimo is a better fit for me. A Stealth in that size would be perfect!
“It's not the last blow of the axe that fells the tree.”

#19 Penache

Penache

Driven to Abstraction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 19:33

+1!

I like the Capless concept but the Decimo is a better fit for me. A Stealth in that size would be perfect!

My thoughts exactly. If Decimos came in this look I would buy one in a heartbeat. My husband would probably want one too.
~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

#20 djpyle

djpyle

Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 20:27

Thanks for the review. This pen just made my short list.

#21 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:28

Stealth is the right word for this pen. I almost didn't notice it sitting on the top portion of the box!

Nice review hudsong...now you've got me hankering for another pen!

#22 thaugen

thaugen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:10

Great review of a stealthy pen! I just ordered one from Richard Binder that should arrive on Monday!
"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

#23 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 16:01

I have tried more than once to get Pilot USA to bring the décimo into the U.S., but they won't do it.

The explanation I got was that it's plastic, not metal, and that makes it cheap cheap. I pointed out that U.S. customers are buying it from Japan because it's lighter, sleeker, and -- for some people -- easier to handle. The next explanation was that it simply wouldn't sell for the price they'd have to put on it. I showed them the numbers, i.e., that at their required 80% of MSRP it would be priced low enough that it would cost less than people are paying to get it from Japan.. That didn't move them, either. So I asked how many I'd have to order to get them to bring in a special lot just for me. At that point, the answer changed to "We're not going to do it, period." Grrrrr!
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#24 thaugen

thaugen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 19:27

My Vanishing Point Matte Black arrived today...thanks for the quick shipping Richard Binder. This pen looks really nice in person and the fine point writes like a dream!
"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

#25 davenukem91

davenukem91

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 19:48

This is a great looking pen, I would just feel weird with a fountain pen you can click like a normal pen. Do you guys feel the clicking adds to the experience or detracts from it? I like to feel like i'm using a fountain pen when writing with one. But regardless, it's a really clever idea and I think eventually I will HAVE to try one.
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden

#26 thaugen

thaugen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 19:52

This is a great looking pen, I would just feel weird with a fountain pen you can click like a normal pen. Do you guys feel the clicking adds to the experience or detracts from it? I like to feel like i'm using a fountain pen when writing with one. But regardless, it's a really clever idea and I think eventually I will HAVE to try one.

I think the "click" is cool, but I won't go so far as to say it adds or detracts from the fountain pen experience. The VP is still all fountain pen in how it writes. I don't think you'll regret it if you try one.

#27 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 23:07

I have tried more than once to get Pilot USA to bring the décimo into the U.S., but they won't do it.

The explanation I got was that it's plastic, not metal, and that makes it cheap cheap. I pointed out that U.S. customers are buying it from Japan because it's lighter, sleeker, and -- for some people -- easier to handle. The next explanation was that it simply wouldn't sell for the price they'd have to put on it. I showed them the numbers, i.e., that at their required 80% of MSRP it would be priced low enough that it would cost less than people are paying to get it from Japan.. That didn't move them, either. So I asked how many I'd have to order to get them to bring in a special lot just for me. At that point, the answer changed to "We're not going to do it, period." Grrrrr!

Was this before we started making them lots of money with that ink we also wouldn't buy or after that?

Boy, they need to listen to their retailers some time.

#28 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,602 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 22:32

Mine arrived today... Sexy as heck... Matching watch should be here any day now!
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Hemingway M, BP; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

#29 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• 2,939 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 00:06

I've been using this pen all day today, and I really like how it feels in my hand. The satin finish isn't as slick as the other VP finishes and it feels warmer somehow. Plus it's all stealth and stuff. This is totally my new undercover-agent-assassin-taking-over-the-world pen!

#30 TMLee

TMLee

464 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,522 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:18

A very good looking pen.

What is the specs on the matte black finish?
A more scratch resistant paint?
Can't seem to find any info on this.