P.w. Akkerman Garuda Rood

mac47

I'm not a terribly qualified reviewer, because I only owned about four bottles of ink prior to this latest "splurchase" of 3 colors from P.W. Akkerman in the Hague. I've tried to just imitate the others I've seen on the forums here, with a couple smear tests and a Q-tip sample as well as calligraphic and plain nib lettering.

Sadly, one of my colors, the Diep Duinwaterblauw came in a bottle that was missing its marble, so the top of the bottle doesn't fill up properly. I suppose I'll just get a marble or ball bearing to put in, and hope it works. The three bottles are very pretty, and were very nicely packaged and packed for shipping to the USA.

I've been unable to figure out the name of the color. Garuda is a Hindu god, about whom you can read a Wikipedia entry here. It's also the name of the national airline of Indonesia, and of an Indonesian restaurant in the Hague. Perhaps the last option is the most likely? I think I read that P.W. Akkerman named their inks after things in the Hague.

Anyway, enough chatter. Here's the sample for the Garuda Rood. It's on plain white (92 bright) copy paper from Wal*Mart. Surprisingly little bleeding for such unimpressive paper.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k408/mattcolvin47/GerudaRood.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the non-calligraphic writing was with a Parker 51 (Fine).

Edited by mac47

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mac47

• AnneM

• jips123

• Lothianjavert

Not big on the color, but that's an amazing review, whatever two other colors you've gotten, write reviews!

Great greek handwriting!!!!!!!!

I'm a teacher of ancient Greek (PhD, Cornell 2003) and have been writing the language since 1997, so I've had some practice -- enough that I should not be omitting breathing marks (ἀριστῆες) and accents (Παναχαίων)!!

Greek lettering is a minor hobby of mine. I've blogged about Georg Bocskay here and here, and about Ange Vergece, Greek calligraphy, and the development of Greek script here.

The name Garuda is probably linked to Indonesia. It is well known that many former Dutch Indies people live there.

• 3 months later...

I've been unable to figure out the name of the color. Garuda is a Hindu god, about whom you can read a Wikipedia entry here. It's also the name of the national airline of Indonesia, and of an Indonesian restaurant in the Hague. Perhaps the last option is the most likely? I think I read that P.W. Akkerman named their inks after things in the Hague.

You're right. The ink has been named after the Indonesian restaurant 'Garoeda' (as the Dutch write), which is famous in The Hague and surroundings for its history. Indonesia was a colony of The Netherlands until 1948. After the Indonesian National Revolution (1945-1948) around 300,000 people, pre-dominantly Indos, left Indonesia to settle in the Netherlands. This migration was called repatriation. The majority of this group had never set foot in the Netherlands before, and most of them found a home in The Hague. In the heart of this city, one of the repatriates opened the restaurant Garoeda in 1949. He decorated the interior of the restaurant with wood engravings from Bali, so the repatriates could feel comfortable. Nowadays a lot of elderly people still go there (the interior never changed) to have lunch or dinner and the restaurant is also frequented by politicians. One of the former Dutch cabinets overcame a moment of crisis during a meeting in Garoeda that lasted for 24 hours or so (correct me if I'm wrong, it was before my time). The restaurant is within walking distance from the working palace of the queen and the houses of parliament [ and the building where I happen to work... so I could even tell you about the food from experience ;-) ].

Lovely review! Your Greek lettering is gorgeous! What sources do you use for the Greek lettering styles?

AnneM, thanks for the historical info! The ink's name makes much more sense with the context.

The Haque is called the widow of the Indies. Every color refers to a Dutch street or occasion. The Duinwaterblue refers to the underground lakes of dune water that are used for drinking water. In fact a small creek of dune water runs all the way through the city to finally end at the heart of the buildings of parliament,the Binnenhof and called the Hofvijver.That is the exact place where The Hague was founded. The creek runs mostly below streetlevel.

Lovely review of an interesting color. Too bad you have lost your marbles ;-)

I posted n the Greek handwriting topic here. (Includes pictures and some links to fonts and historical manuscripts, as well as my blog post on the history of Greek lettering and printing.)

• 2 weeks later...

This was one of the inks I bought in my initial purchase and I love it. It is my everyday ink and when I order more from Akkerman I am going to pick up a couple more bottles of this ink.

This is the second time I've seen this brand of ink today. The first was on the pen and paraphernalia board regarding the bottle. Can you tell me where in the US you can purchase this ink?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png