Lamy Nexx M

strawtarget

I've had many fountain pens over the years, but I've never had one that I loved as much as my Safari. In fact, after buying it in 1997, I stopped trying / buying other pens. I've written with my trusty charcoal Safari pretty much every day since. So, this NEXX review is obviously written from the point of view of a Safari fanboy.

My opinion of the NEXX M is divided sharply between the uncapped pen that I write with and the cap itself. So, where appropriate, I am splitting my review accordingly.

Appearance & Design (PEN): 10/10

The pen is sexy. The barrel is round where it meets the grip, and tapers to a triangular shape (kinda like a wankel engine rotor) at the other end. The taper kinda matches that of the grip section, and it's an attractive shape.

Appearance & Design (CAP): 4/10

Meh. The cap looks kinda big and bulbous to me. I also dislike the way the clip protrudes from the top of the cap (for the lanyard hole).

Construction & Quality (PEN): 10/10

Very high quality! Excellent fit and finish. Excellent materials. The aluminum, plastic, and rubber all come together to make a surprisingly cohesive unit. The pen feels great in your hand. The rubberized grip felt a bit tacky/sticky to me at first. I stopped noticing that before the end of the first day, so either I just got used to it or some manufacturing residue needed to be rubbed off.

Construction & Quality (CAP): 5/10

The cap is made from quality plastic with the same pleasant texture familiar to many Safari users. You get a solid, satisfying "click" when you cap the pen. The cap seals well and the nib does not dry out. The pocket clip, on the other hand, is kind of a bummer. It appears solid from the top, but it is actually made from a thin piece of metal, stamped and pressed to shape. This makes it look kinda cheap from the back. It also doesn't produce a perfectly straight edge on the "ring" part that circles the cap, so the fit is a bit sloppy where the metal meets the plastic.

http://boxybutgood.com/~jeff/priv/cap_stamped_1.JPG

http://boxybutgood.com/~jeff/priv/cap_stamped_2.JPG

http://boxybutgood.com/~jeff/priv/cap_stamped_3.JPG

Weight & Dimensions: 10/10

The weight is absolutely perfect if you like lightweight pens. I write uncapped (not posted). It's just slightly heavier than a Safari, but still a very lightweight pen for its size. The grip section is slightly fatter than that of the Safari, and the grip's shape is less severe. The Safari has 2 very deep, angular indentations for your thumb and index finger. The NEXX has 3 shallower, rounder indentations (the third one being on the bottom). The result is a grip that feels familiar, but even more comfortable than the Safari I'm used to. The combination of the grip's shape and the rubber surface make a great non-slip grip. So awesome!

Nib & Performance: 10/10

This pen writes just like my Safari does. Which is to say, I love it.

Filling System & Maintenance: 10/10

I use the Lamy Z24 twisty-piston converter. It's a $5 extra, not included with the pen. The one in my Safari has been rocking for 14 years and has never leaked. No problems with this new one, either.

Cost & Value: 8/10

It cost less than $30 online! I feel it's an incredible bargain. I've used pens that cost 3 times that and not liked them as much. The cheap price doesn't show up at all in the quality of the pen itself. It really does show in the pocket clip, though. Kind of a bummer, since I feel the clip on the Safari is probably cheaper to manufacture but also looks and feels higher quality than the NEXX clip.

Conclusion (PEN): 10/10

Slam-dunk, home-run.

Conclusion (CAP): 4/10

Meh.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phormula

• Namo

• pelikan500

• unfilterd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, a fantastic pen, for me even more comfortable than the Safari. ;)

The cap is a love/hate affair. I have absolutely no problem with it, actually I love the design, but it is not everybody's cup of tea.

The one with the plastic cap here is even cheaper than the Safari and the M one is just a couple of Euro more.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

tongue.gif this is gonna be my nexx ...sorry couldn't resist it ...penn with a 1.1 nib ....cheerswink.gif

So it is: we are not given a short life but we make it short, and we are not ill-supplied but wasteful of it ...wasted in heedless luxury and spent on no good activity ..."On the Shortness of Life: Life is Long If You Know How to Use It" - Seneca

Any chance of some pictures of the three-sided section you were describing? All your photos seem to be focused on the cap! :lol:

After seeing your review, I'm now hesitating between this and the Studio for use with my italic nibs. The Studio does seem like it might be too bottom heavy for my liking.

“Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily.” - Thomas Szasz

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Any chance of some pictures of the three-sided section you were describing? All your photos seem to be focused on the cap! :lol:

After seeing your review, I'm now hesitating between this and the Studio for use with my italic nibs. The Studio does seem like it might be too bottom heavy for my liking.

I have reviewed the same pen.

Maybe the pictures in my review can hel pyou.

Edited by Phormula

I have reviewed the same pen.

Maybe the pictures in my review can hel pyou.

Ah, thanks!

“Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily.” - Thomas Szasz

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The section is from what I can tell the Safari section with a nice grippy texture. I'd describe it as almost a Safari section that feels like a Parker Frontier because it's rubberized.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The section is from what I can tell the Safari section with a nice grippy texture. I'd describe it as almost a Safari section that feels like a Parker Frontier because it's rubberized.

I agree- the grip is similar to the Safari grip in several ways. I think that's key to why I love it so much. But it definitely isn't just a rubberized version of the Safari grip. The NEXX grip section is shorter, fatter, and rounder. The size, shape, depth, and number of finger cut-outs is different as well.

I completely agree with strawtarget. The grip sections look similar, but are two different animals, actually. The safari has a thinner and longer grip with sharp bends which literaly forces you to hold the pen in the way it is designed to, otherwise it will become very uncomfortable. The Nexx is rubberized, broader, shorter and has broader bends. It reminds me of the Schneider Base and of other German pens. It is much more comfortable if you have larger hands and because of the broader bends it is also more forgiving if you are holding the pen not exactly in the proper position.

Since I have the Nexx, my Vista is sitting unused, I find the Nexx much more comfortable to me and (strawtarget, please forgive me) I like the cap design. I ended buying an Orange M with the F nib. The only real drawback of the Lamy are the proprietary cartridges, which limit my possibilities because I have issues using bottled ink and converters while on the move and, specifically to the Nexx, the aluminium barrel, which is quite sensitive to scratches if the pen is carried in a pouch together with other pens.

This is an incredible pen. Even if it's not the best looker IMO, the design is sound and very comfortable. The pen is light, the grip is large enough (unlike so many pens that are large with a thin[er] section), and even if I don't like it, the shape of the grip works well and I can certainly live with it (I can't with the Safari's). My Nexx is fitted with a EF14k nib at the moment: awsome!!!

Thank you for the review! although you REALLY hate that cap!!

Phormula: yes, Lamy pens are propretary, but their cartridges are not... ok, Lamy's inks are not the sexiest in the world, but they are very well behaved.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I LOVE my two Nexx pens. I have the regular old Nexx(es), not the M's, but this pen is all about that fabulous grip! The rubbery grip is great if your grip tends to slip (or your hands sweat), and that bottom indentation is PERFECT for me. I rest my pen on my fourth (ring) finger rather than my middle finger, I always have. The way my finger is shaped right where my pen sits and the way the grip on the Nexx is... it's like a match made in Heaven!

The cap is a bit garish, but it's not anything that I feel like most Safari fans couldn't get over for the sake of that wonderful grip section.

I run 1.1 nibs on both of my Nexx pens, and couldn't be happier with the performance and feel. I doubt I'll buy another Safari, I'd just opt for another Nexx. I hope these pens catch on, and that they start offering more colors, and perhaps a more modest cap design. Wouldn't a black aluminum body, black cap, and black nib be a cool "stealth" option???

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Phormula: yes, Lamy pens are propretary, but their cartridges are not... ok, Lamy's inks are not the sexiest in the world, but they are very well behaved.

As far as I know, Lamy cartridges are proprietary, they fit only Lamy FPs, they do not accept standard (international) cartridges, i.e. if you have a Lamy FP and you want to use cartridges, you have only two choices, either Lamy or Online Kombipatronen. Of course, you can always install a converter and move to bottled ink from Lamy and other brands. This is a serious limitation for people like me, which prefer to use cartriges when using pens on the move. I simply do not want to bring a bottle of ink with me when travelling or to keep one on my desk at the office (personal choice, no flames please).

With international cartridges I have far more choices of brands, inks and ink colors, even when blue is considered. For example I am using blue/black and prussian blue cartridges in two of my FPs, both from Diamine. I don't like the Lamy blue/black, hence if I use my Nexx for travelling I am stuck with standard blue. This is the reason why I gave a lower rank on this aspect in my review of the Nexx. In fact I am considering to purchase a converter, fill the Nexx with Waterman blue/black or Diamine Midnight and use it at home, keeping other pens for office and travel use. Which is a pity, considering the lightness and the very comfortable grip of the Nexx, which account for an ideal travel pen.

post-33151-0-18538100-1301805242.jpg

So it is: we are not given a short life but we make it short, and we are not ill-supplied but wasteful of it ...wasted in heedless luxury and spent on no good activity ..."On the Shortness of Life: Life is Long If You Know How to Use It" - Seneca

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fantastic idea, I should give a try!

Thanks!!!

As far as I know, Lamy cartridges are proprietary, they fit only Lamy FPs, they do not accept standard (international) cartridges, i.e. if you have a Lamy FP and you want to use cartridges, you have only two choices, either Lamy or Online Kombipatronen. Of course, you can always install a converter and move to bottled ink from Lamy and other brands. This is a serious limitation for people like me, which prefer to use cartriges when using pens on the move. I simply do not want to bring a bottle of ink with me when travelling or to keep one on my desk at the office (personal choice, no flames please).

With international cartridges I have far more choices of brands, inks and ink colors, even when blue is considered. For example I am using blue/black and prussian blue cartridges in two of my FPs, both from Diamine. I don't like the Lamy blue/black, hence if I use my Nexx for travelling I am stuck with standard blue. This is the reason why I gave a lower rank on this aspect in my review of the Nexx. In fact I am considering to purchase a converter, fill the Nexx with Waterman blue/black or Diamine Midnight and use it at home, keeping other pens for office and travel use. Which is a pity, considering the lightness and the very comfortable grip of the Nexx, which account for an ideal travel pen.

Actually, you can use Lamy cartridges both sides. I have now a Lamy orange loaded in a chinese Acura Serpent and another one in my good old Waterman Maestro.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

I just purchased one of these pens this weekend and had the nib replaced with a 1.5mm. So far, I really like the look and feel of this pen.

François (Frank) P.

Currently inked: Parker 51/Quink Blue-Black; TWSBI 580 1.1mm/Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

You should also take a look at this. It looked helpful to me.

Edited by englishchese

• 2 weeks later...

My Nexx is fitted with a EF14k nib at the moment: awsome!!!

That sounds a wonderful combination. Where can I find a EF 14K for sale? I did a little bit search but couldn't find any.

The combination is really nice! My nib comes from a SE Studio, but I think Lamy USA sells these nibs. Have a look around the site, not sure where the nibs are listed.

amonjak.com