Parker Penman: Emerald Green

Inka

It's been awhile since doing any written ink reviews, my heart just hasn't been into it of late.

A good friend had sent me some old recently, a discontinued type being Parker Penman ink cartridges to try.

Some of the water had evaporated out through the plastic carts, but never actually leaked, so I feel pretty confident the remaining is just a concentrate of the original.

Plastic being somewhat porous it's not surprising that an ink having been discontinued @ 11 years ago could dry out a bit, especially not knowing when the carts were originally filled.

Each cart held exactly 1.3ml of water to the nipple top, once I'd syringe-pulled out the remaining ink concentrate I filled and measured it, so that would leave approximately a .1ml area of air space in the original fill.

Measuring the amount of concentrated ink carefully when taken out of each cart, I then added the remainder in pure filtered water into a glass vial as to rehydrate it back to its original volume of @ 1.2ml per cartridge.

Enough said; I'm feeling a bit under the weather today and very tired, so for now it's onto my hand-written review of...

Parker Penman Emerald Green ink;

NOS still in original OEM boxes and withdrawn carefully from their carts...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/ParkerPenmanEmeraldGreenReview.jpg

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• SamCapote

• Sandy1

• cocoliso22

Yo I have still about 20 ml. that wonderful green ink stored in an inkwell, unfortunately out of print for some time, and the role the color green is more pure and brighter than what I can see on my monitor in this review. Perhaps the most similar green tone of which I have proved, and are at least a dozen green, the Irish Green is Montblanc. Greetings to everyone.

@cocoliso22:

When I used a 1.5mm Italic nib in my Lamy Safari with this Emerald Green it does indeed take on a much brighter and more vivid green color.

The Pelikan M1000 Medium nib used for the review actually makes just about any ink I use in it look thicker and darker, not the best review pen/ nib combo to use but it's size is much easier on my hands.

I'll put some of this Parker Penman Emerald Green in my Charcoal Safari later, write on some Rhodia or B n' R paper, scan and post the results in a few days, so you can see just how brilliant this green can be.

I've been curious about the new MB Irish Green, having used their now discontinued British Racing Green and really liking it, but Racing Green looks nearly black.

I had some Parker Quink Green sent to me a couple of years ago by the same good friend that sent me this Penman Emerald Green and as I recall the Quick Green was very close to this one.

Alas the Parker Quink Green was also discontinued some time ago and I've long since run out of it, so it was a pleasant surprise to have something to replace it with.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Great review. Great ink. Great color.

Having also gotten "a slew" of those cartridges from the Greek Ebay seller in various colors, I found it kind of fun to add a little less water to make the color richer, while not losing any of the flow/lubricity of normal bottle.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Hello,

Many thanks for your Review of this ink. It does bring back some memories - I distinctly recall that I gifted the ink after about a doz. fills. :blush:

Alas the Parker Quink Green was also discontinued some time ago ...

At time of writing, a permanent Quink Green is listed at The Battersea Pen Home and The Writing Desk sites.

I hope you are feeling better soonest!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

This ink may have indeed come from the same Bay-side source.

As I was doing my best to rehydrate it to as close to original as possible, and as rich as the color is, looks to me like I have room to add more water.

I didn't even consider trying the ink straight from the cart, without adding water for a top-off, but I'd almost bet it's so concentrated to almost look black if I do.

I've several carts left that have not been opened, so when the time comes to try re-hydrating a few more I'll give it a try straight-up just to see what we shall see.

Thanks.

Permanent green is intriguing to me, as I ran out of Hunter Green Eternal awhile ago, cannot afford to buy more and really do miss it now.

Hunter Green had other special qualities other than permanence, but considering the cost for a single ounce of Hunter Green the Quink Green sounds inviting!

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

The ink might well have worked better on Laser paper rather than the ink jet paper used.

Sandy brought up in one of her threads that some inks do work better with ink jet paper...so I have to think of that too. Perhaps tests should use both.

Sigh...now to find out the 'best' ink jet paper.

It was/is hard enough finding out the best laser paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Had a bottle of this ink but was a nightmare, always clogged my modern Duofold and was a real pain in the ass to clean

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 years later...

Just wrested the top off a very old bottle of this. It smelled a bit funny and the viscosity of the contents dissuaded me from trying it in a fountain pen. In a dip pen on Tomoe River, I got a strange purple-black shading colour, with an insanitary-looking green peeking out where the ink was thinner. Pond-slime on a moonless night. It has a dull sheen in some lights, which I expected from the unhealthy glimmer of purple around the neck of the bottle.