Visconti Homo Sapiens Review

lewis

I know there are a few reviews for this pen already, but I thought I'd try to bring something different to the table. Forgive me if I don't manage to do that.

I had a very tough decision to make. I was down to two pens. A Conway Stewart Winston, and the Visconti Homo Sapiens. I felt that the CS was a more beautiful pen, but something drew me to the HS. So I decided to go for the HS and bought it home with me from Andys' Pens in Kent. I have no affiliation with Andy but I can say he was very helpful and did me a good deal on the pen.

First Impressions

I wouldn't say that this is the most attractive pen that I have, but it is just different. It's striking in its own way. The presentation box is nice, not wow, but as good as most non limited edition pens. Perhaps a little nicer because it has a tray insert that contains some paperwork and a DVD. A bit more imaginative than just under the pen slot. I still wasn't 100% sure I'd made the right choice when I got it home.

Filling System

This is part of the reason that attracted me to the pen. It's a 'Power Filler' which is effectively a plunger that comes out, you push it back and then the system draws ink into the pen. Something different from what I'm used to, so I like that. Although I do worry that I'll apply too much pressure pushing it back in one day and may bend it.

Construction

Everyone knows the facts about this pen. Bronze appointments, lava body. It feels great to hold. Lots of grip and control and yet really comfortable. I really like the feel of the pen in my hand. The cap is great too. It has an innovative system that holds it in place so you literally turn it about 5mm and the cap comes off. It's really secure too. Thumbs up here.

I also read a thread on FPN about someone dropping it down 10 flights of stairs and it survived - I don't know of many other pens that could survive that sort of fall, so a really high score here.

Value

This is an expensive pen. Probably too expensive really. But it is very different to other pens available and has some innovative features. I still think it's probably about 25% overpriced.

Nib

Now this is where this pen comes into it's own. I was really apprehensive considering some of the horror stories on FPN about nibs misbehaving. However I'm so glad I bought this. I would probably say this is the best nib on any of the pens I own, including my Leman, which is hard for me to say because I really love that pen. It's made of Palladium and is two tone. Yeah it's attractive, but the performance is stunning. I can whip this nib all around the paper and it doesn't skip a beat. It's not a flexible nib but has some spring and you can get some good line variation. It's FUN!

Conclusion

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people really like the look of this pen, others think it's dull. That's your choice. I quite like it for it's subtlety. It reminds me of one of those Volvo estate cars that are built as a hybrid between a car and an SUV. They have the big bumpers and the extra clearance under the chassis. It looks and feels like it's going to last.

It isn't "in your face" ostentatious, but attractive to those that want to take the time to study it and feel it. The nib is simply amazing, like I say the best nib I have.

I really like this pen and would encourage all of you to try it out. I wasn't sold on it in the store, but am really glad I got it in the end. I'm sure one day I'll have the Conway too, but I'm pleased with my purchase. I can see this becoming my daily writer because it's so comfortable and I know that it will be able to take a few knocks should the unfortunate happen.

I feel that this pen hides it's beauty for those who own it, not those who take a quick look and move on. Like a little secret shared between you and your pen.

Some photo's on my Flickr page

Visconti Homo Sapiens

Hope you all enjoy.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lewis

• JefferyS

• greencobra

• MikaLa

Excellent review! I got a HS for myself recently, but the nib (1,3mm stub) was dry and hardly wrote a line. :crybaby: I've sent it to Visconti to sort it out. Can hardly wait to get it back and in rotation. :puddle: M.

<p style="text-align: right;">

Rom 7:15

</p>

Hi Mika, there are lots of similar stories to yours and I was really quite worried about this. I felt it was a bit of a gamble. This particular pen has only been in the shop for about a week and I wonder if the nibs have been changed at all by Visconti? Either way, this is a dream. It's only the M nib but it's so great. It works perfectly. I'm really pleased with this pen and I know that I'll grow to like it more and more. I hope that you get yours back soon and it is as great as it should be. L

I want one SOooOoOOOo bad!

I think if i actually wrote with one it'd be all over. The credit cards would be out in a flash.

Dave

Edited by Nitesiter07

Pilot VP 'Stealth', .8mm Stub - Waterman Florida Blue

TWSBI, F Nib - Noodlers Habanero * Online, M Nib - Waterman Florida Blue

Mont Blanc 144 Platinum, F Nib - Waterman Florida Blue * Lamy 2000, XF Nib - Nano Black

Lamy Safari, 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 mm Italic Nibs - Baystate Blue

Seti At Home Member since 2006 - setiathome.berkeley.edu - www.NiteSiters.com

Do you find that the thread thingys on the section catch lint and fuzz? I played with one of these at a pen show recently and was surprised at how much fuzz was stuff to the points of these thread things. Maybe it's been played with a lot, but this fuzzy stuff wouldn't come off with even vigorous picking.

Hmm..

Ha Dave! It was a review on YouTube that did it for me.

plus of course the writing samples by Bry of PenTime.com

It's great, so different.

@Watch-art - you're not wrong there. I filled mine today and used some tissue paper to wipe the section and it certainly caught and held onto some of it. However I went clock-wise, against the notches, I'll go anti-clockwise next time and hopefully avoid the problem!

This is a good review pointing out the aesthetic direction is quite a bit different from the traditionally classic fountain pen like the MB 149 or modern Duofold. I like that the trim is bronze and will never brass, and that the nib is of a material not used IIRC since the Sheaffer Pd nibs of the 1960s or so in Triumphs, Masterpieces and PFMs. Thanks, this was enlightening.

Great review. I too just picked up a HS recently. This is far and away the most expensive pen I've ever purchased, but I don't regret it for a second. The unique look, which you touch on, is what first drew my attention. Far too many pens look like MB pens at first glance (much like the Submariner lookalikes in the watch world). It's refreshing to see such an atypical design, though I agree it won't be for everyone.

I may have missed it in your review, but what nib size did you go with?

Edited by bassplayrr

Another well thought out addition to your stable :happyberet:

Isn't YouTube great for getting an initial impression of these things we love in action?

Very informative video for the HS :thumbup: Bry's writing is extraordinary!

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Great review. I too just picked up a HS recently. This is far and away the most expensive pen I've ever purchased, but I don't regret it for a second. The unique look, which you touch on, is what first drew my attention. Far too many pens look like MB pens at first glance (much like the Submariner lookalikes in the watch world). It's refreshing to see such an atypical design, though I agree it won't be for everyone.

I may have missed it in your review, but what nib size did you go with?

I got the stock M nib which suits me fine. A stub nib may be ordered in a few months, but I like the fact that there is some line variation depending on the pressure applied.

It's a great pen. I always like things that are different. I'm drawn towards the 149 but have had 3 opportunities to buy one since last year and have opted for something a little different every time.

Enjoy your HS.

Thanks for the review. A lot of people seem to like this model. I agree with you that the feel of the nib is so much more important than the appearance (and what would we expect for a pen made from lava?)

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Very good review. I've been intrigued with this pen for a while and wanted one but I recently chose the Winston. I'm glad of my choice but this Visconti is the only pen on my To Get list now. I try not to maintain such a list but once in a while something comes along... Again, nice job on the review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I agree. In a sea of pens many of which look like a MontBlanc Meisterstück, a pen made of lava and bronze is like a breath of different air.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I agree. In a sea of pens many of which look like a MontBlanc Meisterstück, a pen made of lava and bronze is like a breath of different air.

+1

+1

+2. Nice words!

lewis, I can't stray too far from your review here. As I said, this is the only pen on my "want" list at the moment and every time I scroll through your gallery, I'm that much closer to pulling the trigger on one. Maybe in the coming weeks I can report back that I have one. BTW, gonna try that Visconti stub on mine.

lewis, I can't stray too far from your review here. As I said, this is the only pen on my "want" list at the moment and every time I scroll through your gallery, I'm that much closer to pulling the trigger on one. Maybe in the coming weeks I can report back that I have one. BTW, gonna try that Visconti stub on mine.

Go for it GC! It's a great pen and I think you'll love it.

I sat in a meeting with work colleagues this morning and I said I'd bought a new pen, made of Lava. Some people chuckled and rolled their eyes so I left it in the middle of the table - the next thing it was being passed around the table. They couldn't resist!

If you're in the states, pentime.com seem to have some good deals on it.

I'd be interested to hear what you think if and when you do buy it!

I'd be interested to hear what you think if and when you do buy it!

I will certainly report back when I get one although it might be several weeks from now.

Lewis, my friend, I feel your hand on my back pushing me over the edge. I don't mind it at all.