Noodler's Polar Blue

The Classicist

IMG_20110316_185207.jpg

I recently finished a full review of this ink which I use for pretty much everything. I'm a college student and have had very few problems with it. The only major problem that I can think of is when the modified Preppy eyedropper that it came with doesn't have enough ink in it and the heat from my fingers makes the ink expand and drip on the page. Every time it has happened it has been predictable and hasn't caused any major problems either.

IMG_20110316_185156.jpg

"I've gotten much use out of Noodler's Polar Blue in the past few months, but the review that I did a while ago was lacking the more rigorous of the ink evaluations that are sometimes needed. Well, I figured I would do this full review of the qualities of the ink for those of you who are looking for a nice blue to use. I'm continually on the search for blue inks and I don't often find myself bored by them, which led me to purchase Noodler's Baystate Blue, which has blown my mind in every way. That's a post for another time though. I bought the 4.5 ounce bottle online and it came with a free fountain pen (a modified Platinum Preppy .3)

From the written review:

"Noodler's Polar Blue is pretty standard in color, but can seem washed out at times. It almost seems to be chalky, especially when compared to other blues, specifically Baystate Blue. After months of usage, I have not found this ink to feather, even on cheaper paper. the included fountain pen has gotten a lot of usage and has performed like a champ. The 'bulletproof' qualities of this ink are true after a bleach test. I have not tried this ink in any other pens because of the warning that it might stain pens (which others can attest is true). If I remember correctly, this ink has often been compared to luxury blue in the Noodler's line, but I don't own it and can't make the comparison. I highly recommend this ink."

Comments and questions are always welcomed!

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Classicist

• psfred

• Inka

• mhphoto

I use Polar Blue every day at work. Doesn't look so washed out on my paper with my pens, although the current one is writing a bit dark due to the residual BB in it (left over from the melted diaphragm incident, phase 1).

Bleeds terribly on the cheapo copy paper we use, but that doesn't matter since it's only one sided.

Best of all, it will write on WET bottle labels!

Peter

I gotta say, that the way this ink looks on my screen, that it's a dead ringer for Lamy Blue. A little pale for my taste, but flows nice and wet from my "51".

I have both Polar Blue and Luxury Blue and can attest that they do indeed look very much alike, some would call them "chalky"., depending on the pen/ nib used.

The thing I like most about Polar Blue is that it's slick to write with, having the Eel qualities found in Noodler's Eel line of inks, plus the fact it doesn't freeze is nice in the wintertime.

I bought mine in the 4.5oz size with the Preppy eyedropper too, so I can say that it's typical of those pens to dribble when not filled and with hand-warming expanding the ink in barrel.

I'd say that your second scan more accurately portrays the real color of Polar Blue, as viewed on my monitor, has that semi-washed out quality that I often see with mine [all my Polar inks look this way, the blue/ black/ brown & the green].

I've mixed Polar Blue with small amounts of Polar Black and get a really sweet Blue/ Black, or mix Polar Green with small amount of Polar Black and get a sweet Green/ Black, they mix well.

Nice review, and very nice handwriting, thank you!

@ psfred [Peter]:

You've written on WET bottle labels using Polar Blue?

Now that's cool, I've never tried it and had no idea, have only been able to do so previously by using a Fischer Space Pen!

Thanks for the tip, gonna have to try it for myself now.

Very interesting.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I really need to get on making a Polar Blue/Black mix. I bet it would be pretty awesome! What was your ratio for it? 1:1?

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

I really need to get on making a Polar Blue/Black mix. I bet it would be pretty awesome! What was your ratio for it? 1:1?

Here are the posts I made a couple of years back, on how I made my own Polar Blue/ Black.

The first attempt was just adding some Polar Black into a cartridge nearly filled with Polar Blue.

Once I got a graduated syringe I was able to fine-tune the amounts actually used of each color, [starting with drops counted & recorded].

I call the final resulting Blue/ Black blend "Polar Nights".

They're both found in Ink Recipes, the first is #147 and the final and best results found at post #148.

The quick answer is a 7:1 ratio of Polar Blue to Polar Black.

Enjoy!

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Yup, all the "bulletproof" inks will write on wet paper. Blot off the excess water first, it will spread all over if there is free water on the paper, but if it's only wetted, the ink will stick just like on dry paper.

Obviously, the labels are quite soft, so use no pressure, and it will feather a bit more than normal, but that's nothing compared to being able to use a fountain pen on labels.

Doesn't work on thermal labels, though -- the coating prevents the ink from reaching celluose, and it won't stick at all.

Peter

IMG_20110316_185207.jpg

Comments and questions are always welcomed!

Thanks for helping to sort out all the shades of blue from Noodlers; this one won't come here since I don't need the Polar qualities in the LA area and I have other tastier blues. But this is a thorough review, good photos, and very nice, legible handwriting; are you sure you're a college student? :rolleyes:

I don't like my Polar Blue ink, cause it feathers like crazy!! Also too much bleeding through!! :crybaby: However, I like that color. I think Nathan has changed the recipe. Many people have said it doesn't feather; other, it does! :hmm1:

Edited: I feathers even on Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Also on cheap paper!

Edited by fabrimedeiros

I don't like my Polar Blue ink, cause it feathers like crazy!! Also too much bleeding through!! :crybaby: However, I like that color. I think Nathan has changed the recipe. Many people have said it doesn't feather; other, it does! :hmm1:

Edited: I feathers even on Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Also on cheap paper!

This bottle is post "recipe" change, so it behaves much much better than before! Thanks for noticing my handwriting guys, it means a lot!

Thanks for this review. A good review with good comparisons.

Still, I don't like this ink even if just for its colour. For me, it is too gray, too chalky. I need a more authentic blue.

Hugh http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/Cry.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 1 year later...

I heard someone suggest these inks have been re-formulated because people have wildly varying experiences with feathering.

Anyone know if the Polar Green recipe has been re-formulated?

I'm planning to pick it up for making notes at school (which must dry fast). It's not likely that the cold resistance will matter in my backpack in the winter, but the added security will give some peace of mind.

Edited by Amity45

I like Visconti Blue and Polar Blue mixed. Easy to use and doesn't fade.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I love this color, and I'm a fan of these kind of "dusty" medium blues. My current favorite in this category is Diamine China Blue, which I seem to have constantly at my disposal as a standard blue for writing in my journal. Another favorite is Parker Quink Washable Blue - incredibly well behaved and lovely, but its stability over time is suspect.

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

Great review! I've never tried this ink, but I've always loved how soft and flat it appears in writing samples. Sometimes that's just all I need. The color of your pictures looks similar to Parker Washable Blue.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

The color is nice in person, a bit flat yes, that's mostly due to the additives in it that make it more freeze resistant. At very cold temperatures it actually shades and writes nicely, at warmer temps it flows and gets absorbed into most papers very quickly, leading to the flat look and bleedthrough. I recommend a sample before going for a whole bottle of it. Polar green behaves the same way, I adore the color and wish a non-polar version was still available (swisher verdun). I can use them here in florida, but fine lines and using both sides of most paper is impossible.

After seeing this review I think I will order a bottle for use at work - thanks.

Chuck

Thanks for the review. I was looking at this color for a while but the chalky purple-ness of it. It steering me away from it. Thanks again.

“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker