Pilot Parallel Pen (1.0 mm nib)

fiberdrunk

I make homemade inks (iron gall and black walnut inks). They're not typically safe for fountain pen use, though I've tried them in Platinum Preppys and the Platinum Carbon Pen. The pigments in the inks clogged the pens and inhibited flow. I was really glad to learn about the Pilot Parallel Pen, which was designed to take all manner of inks (fountain pen, acrylic, walnut, even watercolor and gouache). I thought I'd try it with my inks.

I barely got any flow from my Jane Austen iron gall ink or my black walnut inks. But it did work beautifully with my pomegranate (iron gall) ink! Why this one worked and not the other iron gall ink, I'm not sure. But I'm so happy, I could chase down an airplane!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5535404280_e2622f82f5_b.jpg

When I rub my fingers over the dried writing, I do feel grit here and there. This is typical of all my homemade inks, and probably the reason they won't work in most pens (i.e. they clog).

Paper & Ink Arts sells sizes of this pen not available elsewhere, including the 1.0 mm size. They have someone in-house who custom cuts the nibs. This was my first Parallel Pen. The nib didn't appear to be sanded after it was cut and was very rough, catching on the paper. I've since sanded it and it's a bit smoother now.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5534825551_7188300ca6_b.jpg

You can see the rough cut of the nib, even after sanding:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5535391252_bc44b70084_b.jpg

But the roughness aside, the ink feed works marvelously. I am thrilled that I found a fountain pen that works with at least one of my inks! I recommend getting Parallel Pen Wizardry by Brenda Broadbent with it, especially if you want to use the pen with more challenging inks. It has more instructions on how to do this than the instructions that came with the pen. I use the pen as an eyedropper, filling the entire barrel (which is plastic) with ink. An o-ring doesn't work with this pen because the screw-top lid interferes with it, but I did put silicone grease on the threads. I haven't had any problems with leaking yet. Also, when I picked up the pen the next day, the ink still flowed well without start-up hassles. The nib feed is really two metal plates on top of each other. The pen comes with a thin piece of plastic film that slides between these two plates for cleaning. You can write on the edge of the nib for a thick line, or even on the side of the nib for hairlines... the ink will be there. It remains to be seen whether my acidic inks will corrode the nib, but so far I see no damage (with Speedball dip pens, I could see some corrosion almost immediately).

I'm very glad to have this pen. And for the other homemade ink makers on the list, this fountain pen has the best chance of working with your inks.

eta: typos

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• CatBookMom

• Miranda

• ethernautrix

Oh, nice. I have the 1.5, but it's really too wide for me to use for any kind of normal writing; interesting that someone is grinding them down.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

That is very cool, fiberdrunk! The homemade ink! The modified Parallel nib!

Also, I like your handwriting.

Thank you! You're really kind!

Great review; I've wondered what the nibs looked like on these pens. Nice handwriting sample, too.

Thanks for that review

Though not pleased at the link you provided. Now I need to buy those new sizes and the book. I've the standard ones already and they are fun.

Thanks for that review

Though not pleased at the link you provided. Now I need to buy those new sizes and the book. I've the standard ones already and they are fun.

FWIW, I think Jetpens has a better price for those pens. Says I who's been thinking about how to justify buying a couple.... :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks for that review

FWIW, I think Jetpens has a better price for those pens. Says I who's been thinking about how to justify buying a couple.... :embarrassed_smile:

Yes, you probably can get them cheaper at Jetpens, but only Paper & Ink Arts sells the custom sizes, such as the 1.1 mm.

Thanks for that review

Yes, you probably can get them cheaper at Jetpens, but only Paper & Ink Arts sells the custom sizes, such as the 1.1 mm.

That'll teach me to read the not-so-fine print(ing). :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks for that review

There are better deals on the site linked to here. buying a set brings each individual pen down to $9.95.

And Jet pens don't do the custom ground sizes.

Thanks for that review

There are better deals on the site linked to here. buying a set brings each individual pen down to $9.95.

And Jet pens don't do the custom ground sizes.

Thanks for clarifying; sorry for the confuse-ment.

Wow! What a frenzy of replies! Perhaps we do get a little obsessed.... Still, worrying about the price of these pens is a less scary than worrier about The World, isn't it?

I assume you have taken it all in good humour, CatBookMum!

I've also blogged about this pen, if you'd like a little more info. Click here.

• 1 month later...

Picked one of these up today for around 8$ at a hobby store. I have plans to modify the "cleaning converter" with some sugru. Its also of note that this pen (besides the special nib)is comparable to Pilots other cheapy the Plumix; However the converter doesn't fit the Plumix either

Anyway will post results of the modification.

• 1 month later...

I tested out another homemade iron gall ink recipe in the Pilot Parallel Pen and it worked! I just love finding ways to use this ancient ink in modern writing tools.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5160/5839380893_30cf4469f5_b.jpg

I blogged a little more about this pen here if you want to read more: Aleppo Iron Gall Ink Meets Pilot Parallel Pen.

Edited by fiberdrunk

• 4 weeks later...

I was told these parallel pens are not longer in production. I tried to get them in Singapore, and end up getting Lamy Joy and even the ZIGG

I wonder how these are compared to Lamy Joy

thanks for the review !

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

I was told these parallel pens are not longer in production. I tried to get them in Singapore, and end up getting Lamy Joy and even the ZIGG

I wonder how these are compared to Lamy Joy

thanks for the review !

Oh man, I hope that's not true! Paper & Ink Arts and Jetpens are still selling them (only Paper & Ink Arts sells the custom sizes, like 1.0 mm). I may have to stock up if that's the case.

I've never tried the Lamy Joy, so I can't comment. Has anyone else compared them?

I hope that isn't true, either! I have a Pilot Parallel pen with a 6.0mm nib which I love. It gives a sort of crispness to my calligraphy that I can't get using Lamy stub nibs.

• 6 months later...
John Neal Bookseller has begun selling the Pilot Parallel Pens in custom sizes now, too. So now there are 2 places where you can get the 1.0 mm size (the other is Paper & Ink Arts).