Medical Dyes

rockspyder

I took a couple of commonly used dyes, in the office and around the house, and dipped a nib into them. These were the results of the first 6...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/rockspyder7/img131.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/rockspyder7/img133.jpg

:hmm1: :hmm1: :hmm1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rockspyder

• Lovesink

• WanderingAuthor

• yachtsilverswan

Rock, I'm looking forward to seeing your trial of Rose Bengal.

You should retitle this clever little thread "Eye Dyes" - not to be confused with the grammatically questionable line in a Georgia high school production of Romeo & Juliette - "I dies."

P.S. I wonder if using Pilocarpine 4% in a pen would shrink the nib size.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Hmmm why does gentian violet seem familiar.... *looks it up* (also known as crystal violet) oh that's why. Chemistry lab.

Pelikan m200 F nib - Noodler's Midway Blue

TWSBI Diamond 530 EF nib - Noodler's X-Feather

Pilot Decimo F nib - Noodler's North African Violet

This is what happens when you even think of FPs and ink during work, right? I like the fluorescein.

I really wouldn't dare to dip any nib in mercurochrome.... especially not if they were gold. ( "Don't try this at home....?")

Edited by Lovesink

Passions need to be followed and shared

Rock, I'm looking forward to seeing your trial of Rose Bengal.

You should retitle this clever little thread "Eye Dyes" - not to be confused with the grammatically questionable line in a Georgia high school production of Romeo & Juliette - "I dies."

P.S. I wonder if using Pilocarpine 4% in a pen would shrink the nib size.

Haha yes, the pilocarpine, may shrink the air hole, and make the nib sweat a bit... :roflmho:

Rose bengal is definitely on the list. Cetrimide, chlorhexidine, and most notably, silver nitrate too. :thumbup:

This is what happens when you even think of FPs and ink during work, right? I like the fluorescein.

I really wouldn't dare to dip any nib in mercurochrome.... especially not if they were gold. ( "Don't try this at home....?")

The fluorescein is beautiful, and changes from a near coral red in high concentration, to this orange, to a yellow - green more diluted. I should do samples of the different concentrations, and try to take a picture in blue light as well, hmmm...

The dip nib is steel, and looks unharmed. For now, at least!

The fluorescein is beautiful, and changes from a near coral red in high concentration, to this orange, to a yellow - green more diluted. I should do samples of the different concentrations, and try to take a picture in blue light as well, hmmm...

The dip nib is steel, and looks unharmed. For now, at least!

Have you tried to see what it looks like with blue light?Let us know what happens...

Edited by Lovesink

Have you tried to see what it looks like with blue light?Let us know what happens...

Quite spectacular! I must just try to get it photographed right, so you can see how beautiful the green fluorescence is.

Edited by rockspyder

You can create an interesting shade of brown with phenolphthalein, but I wouldn't put THAT in a pen, either! lol :roflmho:

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

Mercurochrome vs. Noodler's Dragon's Napalm!

Edited by phr4nkr4wk5

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

I want an ink that looks just like the Flourescein Sodium sample, a nice, pure, strong orange. Anyone know of one that's a good match?

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

I want an ink that looks just like the Flourescein Sodium sample, a nice, pure, strong orange. Anyone know of one that's a good match?

Montblanc's Gandhi Saffron ink is a close match to the Flourescein dye - all except for the flourescence under ultraviolet blue light. Be warned - this ink is not cheap.

Here's a review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/183446-mb-gandhi-saffron-ink/page__view__findpost__p__1849143

Other oranges: http://inkophile.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/orange-you-glad-its-fall/

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

- Operation Overlord Orange is quite close to the lighter sections, but it tends to be a bit... feathery...

- Diamine Orange is just in your face and VERY bright, but susceptible to nib crud

- Blaze orange matches some of the profile, but it required a medium nib or thicker to look decent

- CdA Saffron is pretty close

- Irosizuku Yu-Yake is also close, against the darker areas

I'd say OOO, but its not the best in terms of properties.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Mercurochrome vs. Noodler's Dragon's Napalm!

I actually think that is what dragon's napalm was based off of:

"This unusual ink is the result of a long quest for a replica color to 1970s era mercurochrome antiseptic, which was famous for its distinctively bright orange/pink/red fire like tones. An artist testing the ink discovered that when used with a brush, the heavier applications of the ink would dry to develop into sepia shaded highlights within the brush strokes of the fire like color shades. No other carmine ink has been found to have this feature ...and any unique ink deserves to be among our palette of inks based upon the hope somebody might gain pleasure through its use!"

http://noodlersink.com/dragonsNapalm.html

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Hmmm. Dunno yet. Seems to be a shade somewhere in between Herbin's Ambre de Birmanie and Caran D'ache Saffron.

I always feel this urge to mix different inks to see what comes out.... Oh well, too busy right now actually for this kind of fun..... Someone got a better match?

Fluorescein starts out quite dark, this is a 10% solution, diluted with water by dipping the nib at each arrow. In its darker orange state, it does not fluoresce under blue light, it rather appears dark red, then starts glowing suddenly at a certain level of dilution.

Here it is in white and blue light:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/rockspyder7/compare.jpg

Just swirling the needle of a syringe filled with 10% solution:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/rockspyder7/05032011070.jpg

And 1cc of 10% in the pool:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/rockspyder7/05032011083.jpg

Potent stuff.

Edited by rockspyder