Noodler's Eats Pens?

Takeshi

My employer prefers me to use black ink, although this is more a convention than a rule. So one can use a FP with a reasonable indulgence in conservative inks but the salient point is permanency. My local pen shop stocks Noodler's but they express some reservation on using this ink, specifically the bulletproof variety. Reason given is apparent damage to the pen by the ink. They even mentioned my humble Lamy Safari as one of the victims!

Can anyone on FPN provide some first hand experience with Noodler's and either verify or refute this alleged habit of the ink?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• Possum Hill

• KCat

• Takeshi

Top Posters In This Topic

Often these people are full of it. I've used Noodlers for years in new and vintage pens. Never a single problem, save for BSB's staining.

I have had absolutely no issues with Bulletproof Black in my pens. I've used it in a vintage Parker 45 from 1967, a Pentel Excalibur, and a Pilot 78G.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Oh wow. This has been discussed several times before. A quick search should bring up the threads. As far as I remember, it was a Lamy feed defect that made the feeds dissolve or some such. I just can't stop but feel bad for Nathan who constantly has to live up with this bad reputation for his inks when it wasn't even his fault. This just creates fear around one brand of ink as if it were battery acid. wacko.gif

I've used Noodler's bulletproof inks on my two lamy al-stars, my safari and 2k without any problems.

Edit: Corrected a word.

Edited by Delphideo

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Why on earth would Noodler's make an ink to destroy pens? I fail to understand why this company is always under attack. Those who continue to bombard Noodler's must be in the pay of their competitors.

I use Noodler's in all my vintage pens. A 1940s Sheaffer unused for about a month, and already filled with Noodler's Manhattan Blue started up as soon as the nib touched the writing pad.

Kind regards to Noodler's, may they long reign in the ink world!

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

It will eat your soul but your pen will be just fine.

true true. I use it in a lamy, for quite some time as the only ink, and it's like new still.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

All my Lamy Safaris have been inked with Noodler's inks! Including the notorious/infamous Baystate Blue!

All I can say....is that the Lamy Safari LOVES and WORKS great with Noodler's inks.

Thanks to all for the replies to my query. I must admit I was a tad sceptical when the staff at the pen shop made this claim. Wierd also that they have a large selection of Noodler's inks yet so little store by it. So, a leap of faith and will try this brand. Currently using Visconti Blue (love it, almost a joy to use!) and Dupont Purple (a difficult one to categorize but very nice). Black up to now has been Sheaffer Skrip which I like but the Noodler's brand intrigues me. Watch this space...

I use almost exclusively Noodlers. I use Baystate Blue in my cheap Hero 329 and every other color in my other pens, include two Montblancs. It does not eat pans.

You must ask yourself: why would a fountain pen ink company make ink that eats pens? Wouldn't that be bad for business? It doesn't It is great ink at a lower price because the owner simply believes in delivering a product at a fair price.

Noodler's Black is the only one I use, and I have had no issues. It is an excellent ink. As has been said, the Noodler's question has come up a number of times and is the source of much discussion. Use the search function and you'll find all kinds of information (and a fair amount of misinformation).

I suspect that KCat (our moderator) will lock this thread before too long.

Use what you want, they are your pens.

There have been reports of bad things happening with pens filled with Noodlers inks.

There have been testimonials of only good results with Noodlers inks.

BSB did bad things to my Lamy 27.

That is the only time I have had a pen damaged by an ink.

They are your pens. Use what you want and live with the results.

I've already used bulletproof black in a Lamy Safari.

If they really believe that, why do they keep selling Noodler's, bulletproof particularly, or any at all? Or why do they sell Safaris if they don't stand up to ink? Do they make more money selling you other brands of ink?

the only way it will eat a pen is if you give it a nice chianti and some fava beens to go with it. :P

I've already used bulletproof black in a Lamy Safari.

If they really believe that, why do they keep selling Noodler's, bulletproof particularly, or any at all? Or why do they sell Safaris if they don't stand up to ink? Do they make more money selling you other brands of ink?

They sell them to make money. That is what store do.

They probably make less money selling other ink, considering Noodler's ink sell at $12.5. Just because Noodler is cheaper per ml, doesn't mean stores are getting more money off it. Most store make money base on the sale price.

On the other hand, why doesn't the store promote product that it sells?

Fountain Pen Travel/display Case out of stock now. Found new materials. People in the wait list will be contacted, slowly. Thank you!

Noodler's ink won't hurt your pens. Some people have had problems with mixing incompatible inks inside the pen either intentionally or accidentally, perhaps as a result of a leaking piston seal. It can result in serious clogging and the easy thing to do is blame the ink. No one has ever been able to duplicate any alleged damaging effect of Noodler's ink.

There has also been some intentional malicious libel of Noodler's inks spread by PM. Don't pay too much attention to "information" that can't stand the light of day.

On page 44 of Pen Repair - Second Edition by Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfield the authors recommend "Do not mix inks. Find an ink that you like and stay with it. If you wish to change make sure that you flush the pen out before transferring to the different ink."

Since many of us here are constitutionally incapable of sticking with just one ink in a pen it's a good idea to pay attention to their admonition to flush the the pen thoroughly when changing inks. Many inks are compatible and many recipes have been posted. Obviously you don't have to worry when mixing those, except for the mad scientist jokes from spouse and friends.

Oh wow. This has been discussed several times before. A quick search should bring up the threads. As far as I remember, it was a Lamy feed defect that made the feeds dissolve or some such. I just can't stop but feel bad for Nathan who constantly has to live up with this bad reputation for his inks when it wasn't even his fault. This just creates fear around one brand of ink as if it were battery acid. wacko.gif

I've used Noodler's bulletproof inks on my two lamy al-stars, my safari and 2k without any problems.

Edit: Corrected a word.

Yes it was an issue with a certain batch of Lamy feeds. I have a pink safari that hadn't seen a drop of Noodler's ink and the feed went "soft" on it and pieces would fall off, but it got a new one and it uses Noodler's inks without a problem.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

All my Lamy Safaris have been inked with Noodler's inks! Including the notorious/infamous Baystate Blue!

All I can say....is that the Lamy Safari LOVES and WORKS great with Noodler's inks.

Yes, Noodler's is great in mine as well.

Well Noodler's usurped my Quink and I almost think the Quink's ego was hurt. To compromise I have a mixture of Quink washable blue, Noodlers Heart of Darkness and Bulletproof Black in my Varuna Vishal and they are all quite happy.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

My employer prefers me to use black ink, although this is more a convention than a rule. So one can use a FP with a reasonable indulgence in conservative inks but the salient point is permanency. My local pen shop stocks Noodler's but they express some reservation on using this ink, specifically the bulletproof variety. Reason given is apparent damage to the pen by the ink. They even mentioned my humble Lamy Safari as one of the victims!

Can anyone on FPN provide some first hand experience with Noodler's and either verify or refute this alleged habit of the ink?

Noodler's Black in a Safari rocks. Many years of use. No worries.