Sheaffer Valor Review

Calbei

Sheaffer Valor Review

I'll start by saying I'm a big fan of modern pens, though perhaps it's best qualified with 'contemporary production pens'. Lamy fits the bill excellently, but so does Waterman with its ability to mix traditional and elegant touches onto its very modern designs. It's perhaps no surprise then that I've had my eye on the Sheaffer Valor for a few years now, but I couldn't justify the cost. (In the UK it's £145 at TWD, or about £185 elsewhere.) Needless to say, when I saw it for £102.12, my mind was as good as made up. (At time of writing it is still on sale for £102.12 with free UK delivery at www.penfountain.co.uk, but I suspect it's for a limited time.)

Gold does nothing for me––like I said, I'm a fan of contemporary––so I opted for the black with palladium trim.

It's already well known that the presentation of the Valor is excellent, but perhaps a couple of photos will illustrate for those who haven't looked before.

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0373/web.jpg?ver=12989121630001

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0375/web.jpg?ver=12989123440001

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0376/web.jpg?ver=12989122490001

When the lid is taken off of the black box, the front panel is cut away from the other three sides and falls flat, allowing you to easily get the lovely cherrywood(?) presentation box out. The wood is glossy and really quite stunning for something so disposable as a box (though I wouldn't dream of throwing this away while I still have the pen), and the inside is well padded. The base of the case is a non-slip black felt material – a pleasant detail.

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0381/web.jpg?ver=12989124220001

The pen itself is incredibly impressive; it commands your attention but not offensively so. The lines are clean and contemporary, but it has a feel about it similar to all other great modern Sheaffers, probably in part due to the excellent nib (which I'll come to).

There are some excellent touches, like the framing of the white dot and engraving on the cap band ('Sheaffer' on the front, 'Italy' on the back to reflect its Italian manufacture). The clip loops around the back of the pen, running at an angle parallel to the slope of the cap top.

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0385/web.jpg?ver=12989124590001

How is it to use? A complete pleasure. The pen is long enough that it's unnecessary to post the cap; unposted it has a very balanced feel and comfortable in the hand. It's not particularly heavy. While I don't have scales, I suspect it's just lighter than a Waterman Carene. It's about the same size too, unless you factor in the Valor's God of caps. For me though, writing unposted, the pens feel about the same.

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0388/web.jpg?ver=12989117990001

I bought a fine nib because I expected the medium to be much wetter and wider than my handwriting would allow. Obviously this is hugely dependent on inks and I don't tend to fill pens with the same ink at the same time, so the below sample is unscientific. The Carene is running a little wider than it otherwise would because Legal Lapis is a very wet ink. I'd say the Valor is a true Western fine along with the Carene and M200.

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0393/web.jpg?ver=12989127250002

The nib (14 ct gold with palladium plating) is smooth but a little firmer than I expected. It's softer than a Carene's nib but doesn't have the same spring or suppleness that earlier inlaid Sheaffers. Saying that, it does not let the family down by any stretch and has a lovely feel on paper. I'd put wetness at around 7/10.

Filling system is standard C/C. This is a non-issue for me because it's exactly what I was looking for (I have two piston-fillers with another on its way, so I don't need another). Everyone needs a classy black cartridge filler... so this is mine. It's one of the better pens to fill from a bottle though, because wiping the nib is a piece of cake (unlike traditional nibs where the ink gets in nooks and areas under and around the section).

A convertor is supplied along with four cartridges (2 blue, 2 black). Compared to other convertors I've used (both Parker variants, Waterman, Lamy) the Sheaffer one appears to be quite generous. It appears to be quite wide and chunky: while that could be just my eyes playing tricks on me, I'm sure I'll find out how it fares this week!

http://gallery.me.com/calb/100025/IMG_0387/web.jpg?ver=12989122750001

In sum, it's a wonderful contemporary pen in keeping with its roots. I'm thrilled to have been able to buy it at this price and I look forward to getting my use out of it (and two new inks arriving this week that I can play with!). If I've missed anything out or you'd like to know something else about the pen, feel free to ask away.

Edit: No I don't write in capitals, but I did for the sample in the interests of legibility. :roflmho:

Edited by Calbei

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• seymour

• trent

• breaker

a very informative review with excellent photos.

i am glad that sheaffer came out with a good pen, i have heard only good things about valor.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Great review. I have the same pen in burgundy and it is one of my favorites. I will have to ink it up tomorrow :)

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

It seems a nice pen but I heard they arent selling too well. I ve seen many sell for a lot less than RP.

Nice review BTW

Great review.

I've wanted onr of these since they were introduced.

I really must get round to buying one when funds allow...

• 4 months later...

Hi all ! First post for me on the forum, and it's for the Valor !

I just got one of these for my birthday recently. My wife did notice, after all, the comments I was making about the Valor after reading several of the reviews on this forum and elsewhere !

I've used FP since the 60' (Parker 75, Waterman, Sheaffer "School pen" and recently a Parker Latitude stainless steel and a Parker Prelude). Wow, the Valor (fine nib) is such a delight to write with, that I can't even compare with the others. I'm still interested for a "carry everywhere" pen, such as a NOS 444, while the Valor remains at home (it would be sad to loose it indeed).

As a museum curator, I have the luck to write and read a lot (notes, research papers etc.) and, as far as I can remember, I've always used a FP for my job.

I also have the luck to be able to read different cursive styles from ancient documents - writing myself in this style being of some help - something that several of my younger colleagues find difficult. Some of these old letters and diaries are so beautifully written that I can't call it work anymore : for me it's pure pleasure. The writing I got from the Valor fabulous inlaid nib, is on a par with the most delicate writing of the early 1900' I've recently read. I find it especially amusing to be taking notes in the same cursive as the guy who wrote back in 1904. It's a real Time machine. :-)

JP

Edited by chifeuse

Hi all ! First post for me on the forum, and it's for the Valor !

I just got one of these for my birthday recently. My wife did notice, after all, the comments I was making about the Valor after reading several of the reviews on this forum and elsewhere !

I've used FP since the 60' (Parker 75, Waterman, Sheaffer "School pen" and recently a Parker Latitude stainless steel and a Parker Prelude). Wow, the Valor (fine nib) is such a delight to write with, that I can't even compare with the others. I'm still interested for a "carry everywhere" pen, such as a NOS 444, while the Valor remains at home (it would be sad to loose it indeed).

As a museum curator, I have the luck to write and read a lot (notes, research papers etc.) and, as far as I can remember, I've always used a FP for my job.

I also have the luck to be able to read different cursive styles from ancient documents - writing myself in this style being of some help - something that several of my younger colleagues find difficult. Some of these old letters and diaries are so beautifully written that I can't call it work anymore : for me it's pure pleasure. The writing I got from the Valor fabulous inlaid nib, is on a par with the most delicate writing of the early 1900' I've recently read. I find it especially amusing to be taking notes in the same cursive as the guy who wrote back in 1904. It's a real Time machine. :-)

JP

:W2FPN:

It's another interesting pen but unfortunately is no longer available in anything but medium and fine nibs I fear.

My Website

nice detailed review!!

I always fascinated for inlaid nibs.The Valor itself is in my wish list. I hope I will get it someday before it gets vintage :vbg:

Edited by bk123

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

Are these manufactured in Italy, or Croatia?

Are the nibs the last of the Madison-made inlaid nibs?

mine says: italy. it's all i know, but i'm guessing the nibs are not US made...

Hi

I have the identical pen, but with a medium nib. I am using it at the moment. I was lucky to pick it up second hand after very light use for 100 sterling.

I still don't understand why the original owner sold it. It really is a pleasure to write with it.

I just have two things which bothered me. I asked Sheaffer about continuing the guarantee and they were very nasty about, it, informing me that if I hadn't bought the pen from a recognized dealer it was not insured. The days of good after sale Sheaffer service seem to have passed.

I also have a minor not exactly problem with the pen itself. When I screw the cap on, its only one turn. It feels less than most screw-on pens. I always find myself checking if it is secure.

Wow, what a good pen!

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

• 8 months later...