Montblanc 3-42G With An Ob Nib

Malcy

This is my second MB after the MB 234½. I was poking around ebay.de when I saw it. I did not think that I would win this pen but to my surprise I did. :)

DSC01886.jpg

The MB 3-42G (that's how it is stamped on the pen) is near the bottom of the order of Montblancs in the 1950's. Below it is the 342 with a steel nib and below that lie the Monte Rosa school pens. That said, it is a lovely pen and a great writer and has a place in my small collection.

DSC01899.jpg

Appearance & Design 7/10

If you look at this pen it seems to be a fairly sober design but there are some nice details to it. By this time in the 50's the World was embracing the age of air travel and aerodynamic design notes were seen everywhere from car tail fins to fountain pens. Montblanc has dropped the flat top like styling that took them through the 1930's and 1940's and has introduced a more streamlined shape.

DSC01889.jpg

The white snowflake is very much in evidence at the top of the cap as is the traditional black with gold trim metalwork. The clip on this pen is unusual. The seller was not sure if it is original but I have seen one other 3-42G with this clip on sale at Penboard.de, so I am sure that it is. Dating the pen, I think that it is from around 1953/54 manufacture because the curved section is replaced by a straight section on mid 50's pens but the feed design is one that seems to appear on 342s made after the early 50's.

Construction & Quality 7/10

My initial thought on picking the pen up was disappointment, simply because it is very light at 15g. Further inspection allayed my fears and the weight of a tank of ink works wonders with the feel. Early versions of this model were made from celluloid but this one is made of a more modern plastic (precious resin?). The plastic has stood up to years of use well and only has the usual micro scratches. The gold plating on the clip is complete but the cap band has suffered somewhat. I expect that it is thinner than that on the higher models. Overall the pen is still solid and should last many years yet.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01896.jpg

Weight & Dimensions 6/10

As I have said above, the pen is lightweight at 15g. It is 127mm long capped and 142mm long posted, so a mid size pen. The section is fairly thin but not uncomfortably so.

Nib & Performance 10/10

When I first filled the pen, I was very disappointed. I could see that there was flex in the nib but the ink flow was too low to deal with the flex. However, I disassembled the nib unit and gave it a good cleaning out. It is not surprising that the flow was so poor, there was so much gunk in the feed. Once cleared and reassembled it became a different pen. The flow is fairly wet as I like it and is easily able to keep up with the demands of the flex nib.

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

The nib is a No2 size 14K gold OB width with a good degree of flex. It is a lovely nib to write with, another winner. It's one bad habit is that it is squeaky, though I am not sure why.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/342.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance 10/10

This pen features a reliable and high capacity piston filling system. The mechanism is smooth, being actuated by twisting the end cap. Capacity is good with the pen easily holding enough ink to last a day at school. I doubt that the filler mechanism is the telescopic design that features in my MB 234½ but it seems to work well and the cork piston seal has given way to a synthetic plastic seal.

Cost & Value 10/10

I am happy with the cost. It cost me £35 and most of this model of pen seem to go for at least twice that, so I can't complain about the value.

Conclusion 50/60

Another winner. Seen in isolation, the pen is on the small side for me but the nib makes up for everything. Another flexy oblique nib to play with. This is pen that will be staying with me for a long time and will get regular use. I could get addicted to Montblancs. :blink:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lowks

• Malcy

• piembi

• breaker

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review! I have one of this this also and while it is a bit smallish for my hands I still make it a point of dusting it off every now and then (2 twice monthly) to feel it's smooth ink flow!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It is probably what would be considered a small-mid sized pen in the 50s. It is a little longer than my Pelikan M400. I think that I find it small because I have been using some much larger pens recently.

The nib of my 342 had been a pleasent surprise.

The first one came with an OB nib, the second one with a M nib. Both are some of the best nibs I have!

• 2 weeks later...

Did mont blanc make a version of this pen with a black snow flake?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png