Waterman's 515

Opel

Waterman’s 515

A large bodied fountain pen that I believe was marketed as an “Executive” model in the late 1940s through to the 1950s. It is very light in weight and I would guess that it is made out of some kind of plastic. It is lever filled with gold plated trim and a wide band at the base of the cap. The nib is a large Waterman’s number five and I would suggest that it is a firm fine to medium. It writes with the slightest hint of flex and therefore it produces a very mild and understated line variation. With its size and weight I prefer to post the cap and thus my grip naturally moves to above the threaded area. Incidentally, I post caps only when desirable and necessary to my liking.

I enjoy using this pen immensely and find the dark green body of this particular model a sight to behold. I forgot to mention that the body imprint states “Made in England”.

I bought it off ebay a few months back for about £18 (GB Pounds) and it would appear that I received a bargain because I’ve noticed others being sold for rather more that I paid.

I score this pen as follows:

Appearance & design: 9/10

Conservative “Executive” design, not to mention the lovely glossy “bottle green” colour that is hard to discern until you study the body close up.

Construction & quality: 7/10

I think it is plastic which has resulted in a myriad of tiny scratches in the finish, I forgive it though considering its age. Very light in weight but I wouldn’t worry too much if I dropped it capped at least, but that goes for most everyday pens doesn’t it?

Weight & dimensions: 9/10

Weight – very light

Capped length – 130mm

Uncapped length – 123mm

Posted – 160mm

Diameter – barrel just above section (hard to tell) approximately 11mm

Nib & performance: 7/10

Waterman’s Number 5, 14 carat gold. Firm wide fine to medium, performs reliably always starting without any issues, but may be considered scratchy and coarse by today’s standards. I like it very much though.

Filling & maintenance: 9/10

Lever filled, no real maintenance to speak of.

Cost & value: 9/10

Cost me about £18 (GBP) a few months ago off ebay, value… well that’s subjective but to me I think it was a good buy. I would certainly value it immensely higher than my new Sheaffer SS Prelude which was purchased for the exact same amount of money.

Conclusions:

Well the score is 50/60 which I think is a fair reflection of this pen.

A lovely vintage Waterman’s with a usable nib. I believe the 515 is similar but less fancy than a W5. I would use it everyday for note taking at university, but I leave it at home because it is too precious to me, the thought of loosing it is upsetting!

Be warned if this example is representative, by today’s standards the nib would not be liked by many I suppose, but I love the feel and the very slight flex provides a nice responsive feedback.

post-34927-0-31727600-1297961993.jpg

post-34927-0-52581200-1297962014.jpg

post-34927-0-00755100-1297962032.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImperialSheaffer

• Opel

• Sidestreaker

• hillbillywriter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simple and classy looking vintage waterman, I like it.

Thank you for the review :)

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi

I agree with your choice :).

I have 3 of them, one in the same color. I need to change their sacs. Would you know the size of them [sac]?

Thanks

Never Write Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly

• 2 years later...

Indeed a nice pen. Bought a brown one with the intent to restore it. Does anybody know how to take it apart?