Noodler's Kung Te Cheng

kiavonne

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j111/kiavonne/Pens/Z%20Other%20Stuff/KungTeCheng.jpg

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yoda4561

• kiavonne

• CatBookMom

• amyx231

purple-y!

nice color... interesting name. never heard of it before. is it new?

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

No, not new, but a limited edition color. I think I bought out the supply from Swishers. It may be available from other retailers, though.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

No, not new, but a limited edition color. I think I bought out the supply from Swishers. It may be available from other retailers, though.

The strong odor seems tied to a certain property of KTC and Blue heron, I think it may be shared with some of the other inks folks report as having a strong chemical odor (like many of the overseas exclusive inks). Unlike the "normal" smelling bulletproofs, which can sit dried on a surface for weeks and then wash right off with running tap water, these strong smelling inks when dry aren't washable no matter how long you soak them in water. They need some ammonia or other strong cleaner to be cleaned if they ever dry out in the pen. They seem well behaved until they've been in the pen for a week or so. If your cap doesn't seal perfectly you might start running into hard starting issues until the ink starts to flow and redissolve the buildup that was clogging it.

True enough, Yoda.

I decided a few years ago that I would be using Noodler's exclusively. When I made that decision, I also realized that I had to respect my pens and respect the nature of these inks. Letting a pen dry out is very much taboo for me. I realize the special nature of many of Noodler's inks, and I willingly take them on. Hence my "ink happens" and I accept the consequences that may happen if I do not take care of my pens. I like my Noodler's, and I'm kicking myself for not using Kung Te Cheng earlier (I've had that first bottle for at least a year).

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

The strong odor seems tied to a certain property of KTC and Blue heron, I think it may be shared with some of the other inks folks report as having a strong chemical odor (like many of the overseas exclusive inks). Unlike the "normal" smelling bulletproofs, which can sit dried on a surface for weeks and then wash right off with running tap water, these strong smelling inks when dry aren't washable no matter how long you soak them in water. They need some ammonia or other strong cleaner to be cleaned if they ever dry out in the pen. They seem well behaved until they've been in the pen for a week or so. If your cap doesn't seal perfectly you might start running into hard starting issues until the ink starts to flow and redissolve the buildup that was clogging it.

KTC is one of my favorite ink colors, but in too many pens it drys up in a day or two so that the pen won't start. It may require a relatively wide nib slit and a very tightly sealed cap.

True enough, Yoda.

I decided a few years ago that I would be using Noodler's exclusively. When I made that decision, I also realized that I had to respect my pens and respect the nature of these inks. Letting a pen dry out is very much taboo for me. I realize the special nature of many of Noodler's inks, and I willingly take them on. Hence my "ink happens" and I accept the consequences that may happen if I do not take care of my pens. I like my Noodler's, and I'm kicking myself for not using Kung Te Cheng earlier (I've had that first bottle for at least a year).

I agree, but it's good to make note of the non-water flushable inks, previously I thought the only ink like this was KTC, which has the warning on the label so I accepted it as a non-issue. I use ktc and Blue Heron without reservation as I'm confident that any issues are a quick flush with ammonia away. Unfortunately not everyone is equipped to deal with these issues. One person recently had a double vacuum chamber visconti which was accidentally put away inked with one of the UK series inks. While that wouldn't be a big deal if you have some ammonia to flush with, it's apparently hard to come by in the UK. It's also a celluloid pen with a relatively complex mechanism, so it's difficult to recommend alternative cleaners. If it were bulletproof black, or the polar inks, or many other "regular" bulletproofs this wouldn't be an issue since water alone is enough.

That is my experiance also, but I find it worth the extra work. Now I keep it in a Noodlers ebonite pen, easy to maintain that way.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Hmmm, I got the usual chalky BP look with my sample of KTC. Your color looks much more vibrant than mine. Maybe I will give it another try.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

True enough, Yoda.

I agree, but it's good to make note of the non-water flushable inks, previously I thought the only ink like this was KTC, which has the warning on the label so I accepted it as a non-issue. I use ktc and Blue Heron without reservation as I'm confident that any issues are a quick flush with ammonia away. Unfortunately not everyone is equipped to deal with these issues. One person recently had a double vacuum chamber visconti which was accidentally put away inked with one of the UK series inks. While that wouldn't be a big deal if you have some ammonia to flush with, it's apparently hard to come by in the UK. It's also a celluloid pen with a relatively complex mechanism, so it's difficult to recommend alternative cleaners. If it were bulletproof black, or the polar inks, or many other "regular" bulletproofs this wouldn't be an issue since water alone is enough.

Newbie here, so please forgive me if this has been answered before/elsewhere. I fell hard for Noodler's La Reine Mauve, which is apparently part of their Eternal series, and I have a bottle on its way.

Is LRM another color that is not water-flushable, similar to the Keung Te Chung? If so, would it be best to use it in a simple pen, like a Lamy Safari with a refilled cartridge (I prefer them over converters) so that if ammonia cleansing is needed there would be less chance of damaging the pen? I had been thinking about putting it in my Pelikan Mxxx but now I'm thinking that a piston pen like that could be damaged by ammonia.

So much to learn about all the new inks! So much fun! :rolleyes:

True enough, Yoda.

Newbie here, so please forgive me if this has been answered before/elsewhere. I fell hard for Noodler's La Reine Mauve, which is apparently part of their Eternal series, and I have a bottle on its way.

Is LRM another color that is not water-flushable, similar to the Keung Te Chung? If so, would it be best to use it in a simple pen, like a Lamy Safari with a refilled cartridge (I prefer them over converters) so that if ammonia cleansing is needed there would be less chance of damaging the pen? I had been thinking about putting it in my Pelikan Mxxx but now I'm thinking that a piston pen like that could be damaged by ammonia.

So much to learn about all the new inks! So much fun! :rolleyes:

Ammonia won't hurt a thing with the concentrations used for cleaning pens, it's the preferred and safest way to flush anything short of vintage celluloid. I recommend a pass of it whenever switching ink colors if you're concerned about cross contamination. It helps dissolve alot of ink that you may have never realized was still in the feed. I've flushed my noodler's piston fillers (made of stuff far more chemically delicate than a Pelikan) and it doesn't bother them at all. The smell on the other hand :sick: You'll want to be doing the ammonia thing in a well ventilated area. (edit: Don't replace with windex just because it contains ammonia, I've done it, it works, but it also contains alcohol and other non-pen friendly things)

I haven't used LRM, but I have no reason to believe it's not water flushable. Easiest way to tell is to just take 1 drop and smear it on a piece of plastic, plastic wrap, a drinking glass, whatever's handy that won't absorb the ink, let it dry overnight and then run it under the tap, if 90% of the ink comes off after a few seconds there's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Yoda4561

Thank you, Master Yoda! What ratio of ammonia to water ought to be used for this?

4:1 water to clear household ammonia for a quick flush. 10:1 water to ammonia for long soaks. Exact ratios aren't too important. Even at full concentration you're unlikely to damage a pen with the short time it's in contact with the solution.

Edited by Yoda4561