Photo

Sheaffer 330 Fine Or Extra Fine? (Or Imperial Deluxe?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chasy_price

chasy_price

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:42

Hi everybody I am new to this forum however I have been reading a lot of insightful posts here and learned a lot from you guys... Kudos!

I want to buy a vintage Sheaffer pen and think 330 and Imperial Deluxe are two great choices. I know there have been several reviews on 330, however I still have doubts. Can anybody provide some insights on how these two compare to each other?

Also I need some suggestions on the size of the 330 nib, if I were to buy one. Although I normally like 0.4mm-0.5mm range tip for writing, I read a couple reviews saying 330 has a super super fine tip, and can be sometimes scratchy. I currently have a Pilot Penmanship extra fine which has very tiny nib...Is there anyone who has used both 330 and Pilot Penmanship (I know it is a low grade cheap pen and at first it was scratchy but after 1 hour of writing it is now getting surprisingly better)?

Thanks ahead everybody.

#2 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:21

First, welcome aboard. This is one of the most enjoyable and informative places you will ever find. Be sure to learn how to use the search function and check out the fountain pen reviews and you will find answers to many of your questions.

Now, to your specific questions:

Since you mentioned Teri I am going to assume you meant the Imperial II Deluxe and if so you will also notice that the Imperial II has a Touchdown filling system while the 330 is a cartridge/converter system. The Touchdown system allows easy filling from a bottle but you can also refill carts with a syringe.

As for the nibs, there may be some difference in the size of the Fine nibs on the pens but not much. I do not have the XF in the Sheaffer's and the only Pilot on which I do have the XF is not the Penmanship, but the Pilot XF is certainly smaller, or 'finer' than the Sheaffer F nibs.

Capped the 330 is a little lighter than the Imperial II but uncapped and unposted they are very similar. The 330 may be a millimeter thicker where the section meets the barrel and the pens are almost exactly the same length unposted or capped. Posted the Imperial is a little longer by a few millimeters.

The Deluxe cap is heavier than the 330 cap but both balance well posted or not.

If you prefer the 'finer' nibs,choose the pen with the EF option. If only Fine nibs are available either is a good choice.

I like them both and would be hard pressed to name a favorite.

PS:Terim is a well respected member here.

#3 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:27

Of the mentioned I'd lean to the Imperial II Deluxe, just on the cap. Another one Terri sells is the 444X, this is one you should look at, a better pen all round .

Regards
Hugh

#4 chasy_price

chasy_price

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:55

Thanks for the replies!! Teri convinced me to get a Imperial Deluxe II, and I think that is a great choice. 444X is also a great pen, however Teri mentioned the Fine point is more like a Medium-Fine, and that is about the only reason why I stayed away from it. I am big on thin lines ~~ However I would like to hear more about how they perform - if it really so much better I would not mind getting one to try it out!!