Montblanc Writer's Edition F. Scott Fitzgerald

elderberry

Hi all,

this is my first review on FPN so please don't expect too much. :D It's about the MB Fitzgerald pen which recently moved in with me.

INTRODUCTION: I can't decline that I was drawn to the pen because I like Fitzgerald. I do like Kafka too though and the pen does nothing for me. "Fitz" comes in the usual Writer's Edition "I'm a book! Oh, wait..."-packaging which I don't like because it looks like the cheapish editions of Pearl S. Buck you find at every garage sale.

Appearance & Design (9/10) – The design is meant to talk about the roaring twenties and to me it does. I find it easy to imagine a pen like this one in "The Great Gatsby". The barrel is made of "mother of pearl resin", though it reminds me more of folds in a satin sheet because the material seems to have a considerable depth dimension. Piston knob and cap are black and set with sterling silver rings and clip. The shape reminds of a zeppelin. It doesn't get the full 10 points because it's not a design I've been overwhelmed by but I do like it a lot.

post-53884-0-08948100-1297590090.jpg

Construction & Quality (8/10) – I haven't owned the pen for a terribly long time yet, but don't have any reasons for complaints. The piston filling mechanism works smoothly and efficiently, the clip slides into place without having to be lifted manually. One point off because I sometimes don't manage to "hit" the threads of the cap at the first attempt when screwing it on - which might be my fault of course. :P Another point off because it doesn't have an ink window which could be inconvenient at times.

Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – "Fitz" is a lightweight pen, though it doesn't look like it on the pictures. The overall length of barely 14 cms doesn't make it particularly large either. I find it nicely balanced though it could be a tad heavier for my taste.

Nib & Performance (10/10) – It came with the standard M nib which I had exchanged for an OB, a choice I am quite happy with. The picture shows a writing sample (please don't mind the hand, I'm working on that) with Caran d'Ache Saffron ink on Clairefontaine 90g paper. Although the edition is quite old - it came out in 2002 - there wasn't a problem to get the desired nib. The nib is 18k bicolor which adds even more to the "roaring twenties" feel and has an "urban skyline" carved into it. It writes very smooth but with an edge to it which gives nice feedback to the hand. Unlike some other Montblancs I own this one doesn't have the slightest starting problems even on very smooth paper. Nothing to improve here.

post-53884-0-20140700-1297590595.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (8/10) - "Fitz" is a classic piston filler which holds a considerable amount of ink. As stated above, there is no ink window. As a Montblanc it wishes to be sent to a service center for maintenance or nib swap.

Cost & Value (10/10) – I bought this pen at half the price at a shop's closing-down sale since so cost/value relation for me is nothing but excellent. :-D Shortly after I've heard that MB put the retail price for these up to € 980,- (approx. $ 1300,-).

Conclusion (9) - A pen which I like equally for its looks and its nib and which is frequently used.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elderberry

• Sidestreaker

• roger3

• Tom Kellie

Great review!!!!!!!!

Yep +1 :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

beautiful pen, would have loved a close up of the nib, but still great snaps.

i dont know how you managed to get such clear snaps, i am sure that i will fail miserably if i try myself.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Thanks for the review. This pen had been on my "wish list" for some time(years really) before I was blessed with a gracious FPN seller who had one just as I wanted it and at a fair price. A "win-win" I think. The F.Scott is indeed one of my favorite MBs :thumbup: :thumbup:

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Elderberry, thank you for the review and I've been looking to this since I saw your post on the latest MB purchase. I needed more assurance that this is a good buy in the Writers Edition series before making any commitments to purchase it. Clearly, this is one of the more tastefully done WE out there. I hope to obtain it and perhaps contribute to another review.

Congrats on your buy again, great review and I just love the pics!

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Thanks for your feedback! I would have liked to provide a close-up from the nib as well but couldn't make the camera do it. I'll give it some more tries in the next few days and post one if I succeed.

I have a Fitz with an OB that was made into a cursive italic OB, and it is my favorite pen! The line variation is as much as my 149 with OBB :thumbup:

Edited by Adrian Collins

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

great pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

You can't be serious, Tony. ;)

As promised I tried again for a nib close-up, with some better success this time. Here it is (+ fingerprint on the section :rolleyes:) :

post-53884-0-56574700-1297781322.jpg

great shot, just love the nib. Fingerprint adds more character to the pen too! :)

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Very nice review, love my Fitz.

don

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on not only acquiring this beauty but on getting it at such a great price! Thanks for the wonderful review. I agree with you: Fitzgerald is an amazing writer (present tense because superior art stays perpetual) . Terrific photos too!

Nice pics and great review. A Beautiful pen, I hope you have lots of enjoyment from it.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Another great review and pics that I've read today! Fitz is beautiful! And your writing sample doesn't need any apologies! I have never tried an OB nib; looking at your sample, I may try one sooner than later. Thank you for the info! :thumbup:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)