-:| A " Custom " Edison Pen |:-

Aslan

Even Brian's "off the shelf" pens are custom. To add to the litany of Brian's praises on this board seems a little anti-climatic to me. If he has something you like (or something close to what you like), and you can afford it, call him.

I had the privilege of getting my first Edison pen from Brian when all he had to sell was the Herald. As I have told him numerous times, "Your work keeps getting better and better." It's true.

Now to the present. I've been in the market for a new pen (aren't we all?!) and have been trolling Brian's website for ideas. I always feel like a small child in a candy store when I do that. The drooling is embarrassing. One of the pens that caught my eye was the 76... but, it wasn't quite what I wanted. Also, I had decided that I wanted something in the dark tortoise celluloid (love the subtle tones, and, well, it's celluloid) but wasn't sure what body to put it in. Brian, in his consultative fashion, helped me "design" my pen. It began as a 76 and after several discussions the rough draft came out like this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5383682310_d030b5e67c.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5383682368_faf65d2d8b.jpg

The final product looks like this:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5383682260_0381119ae0.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5383078595_2163cc1459.jpg

Brian's photo skills exceed mine, but even his photo skills cannot capture the beautiful, rich, deep subtlety of the dark tortoise celluloid. A quick glance suggests black. A longer gaze calls that into question. The right light and a slightly different angle reveal a deep brown with whispers of green and amber. This pen speaks in hushed tones. I have some that shout, but not this one. It is comfortable in it's subtlety; content to know that it is individual and, at least for now, unique.

It has the "feel" and aroma of celluloid... smooth to the point of feeling almost wet, and in the air, a hint of camphor. As far as the fit and finish are concerned, you don't notice them as much as you sense them... the smoothness, the gloss, the lack of flaws, the way the threads mate, the balance, the nib and how it writes. As a finishing touch, the rhodium trim provides a quiet juxtaposition to the deep brown.

In my mind's eye this pen was intended to be a classic. It was designed accordingly. It was built by a master according to that design. It has become thus.

To Brian, it is probably "a highly modified 76." To me, it is a "Collier." (<-- my son's name)

John

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aslan

• Brian C

• kiavonne

• watch_art

Beautiful review. As beautiful as the pen, which is might beautiful. Thank you.

I too own a few Edisons. Brian's work is unsupassed. My Edisons are my best writers, even when stacked up against Omas, Visconti, Delta and Danitrio. If you are on the fence for one of Brian's pens, jump.

Fantastic! This modified 76 shape would be the perfect canvas for an urushi project.

Thanks for posting, Aslan.

After making this pen, I decided that I also really love the shape. Maybe more than the production model #76.

I may be asking Aslan's permission to utilize this shape (since he was largely responsible for it) on future pens.

But don't worry, the original 76 won't be going anywhere.

Thanks.

That is very elegant, well done. The original 76 always looked a bit clunky to me (sorry, Brian), but I really like the way the tapered form on this version flows. I hope that you agree to let Brian use your modifications on future pens.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but what mods did you ask for? Is that a slight taper to the barrel end?

The changes were subtle (a lot like the pen). If anything, this project proves to me that little things mean a lot. A small modification here, another there, and it becomes something else. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. It's important to note that this was a "team effort." I knew what I wanted and Brian, the master craftsman, delivered. The #76 was the closest match so that's where we started. As I told Brian earlier, he captured exactly what my mind's eye was seeing. Kudos to him!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5414042487_39839fab97.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5383682260_0381119ae0.jpg

The picture on the left is a "stock" #76 from Brian's website. Start at the top of the cap. The dome of the cap is smaller (a lower profile) and less "severe" on my pen. The cap on the stock pen is characterized by straight lines. My pen has a subtle (there's that word again) "shaping" to the cap. The bottom of the cap on the stock pen is blocked or somewhat blunt. My pen has more of a rounded edge at the base of the cap.

On to the barrel. The stock pen is larger at the base than at the nib. It has a gentle taper from the section out to the (larger) end. My pen is just the opposite. The taper is gradual, very slightly curved and, you guessed it, subtle. The barrel is also slightly longer (don't know the exact measurements). I wanted a curved section so the section is the same on both pens.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5414653946_cb68c1cdd1.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5167/5383078595_2163cc1459.jpg

If you find the "mods" difficult to see, that's to be expected. They're subtle. wink.gif

Edited by Aslan

John

After making this pen, I decided that I also really love the shape. Maybe more than the production model #76.

I may be asking Aslan's permission to utilize this shape (since he was largely responsible for it) on future pens.

Thanks.

Of course. It's yours to use. tongue.gif

Edited by Aslan

John

I really like this, a lot. I like the whole "subtleness" of it, and it is sort of more streamlined. I was wondering how a slightly longer barrel might look, and now I know.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Guest Subvet642

Thanks.

Of course. It's yours to use. tongue.gif

Sweet! I guess it's time to start saving or selling, 'cause I want one!

My list keeps growing: Mina (on order), Herald Grande (on order), soon to be award winning Huron, Glenmont, Collier. While taking nothing from the 76, this is a great design.

Very handsome pen in that gorgeous dark tortoise celluloid!

Congratulations.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi