Mb Violet Review

saskia_madding

I bought an almost full bottle of this from a FPNer and even though it had leaked all over the place when it arrived, there was still plenty left. And I've very grateful for that, because I was surprised to see that I actually really like this colour.

Full review:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Montblanc/DSC08180.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Montblanc/DSC08183.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Montblanc/DSC08185.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Montblanc/DSC08184.jpg

More pictures here.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• saskia_madding

• Blade Runner

• Pen Nut

Have some of this myself and seldom use it. Your review has reminded me that, like you, I rather like this and will bring it back into 'play' soon. :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Great colour and one of the best lubricating inks ever.

But it has one big default: it smears. When I manipulate the pages written with this ink in my notebook, it smears even wit a rather dry skin.

That's why I don't use it anymore.

Orval

I just went back to my journal I wrote yesterday and another entry several days ago to test this. I had absolutely no smearing with my hands or fingers. It's a Clairefontaine notebook, but I haven't tried the smear test on any other paper.

Love this colour - it's gorgeous. I haven't had a smearing problem with it either and have been using it for several years, mainly on fairly cheap paper that isn't super coated or smooth. Also haven't had a problem with it on Rhodia paper since I discovered that. I'd be interested to know what paper Orval is using (so I can avoid it).

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Thanks for the review! I love this ink (it is my signature :) ), but it does bleed on Moleskine paper and I did have a case of smearing once. I should add too that it is not discontinued but is now under the name of "Lavender Purple".

Edited by Lacrimosa
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/firevappor7/signaturesmall.png

I never saw myself as a purpley guy, but can I tell you I get sad when my pens run dry of MB Violet. :crybaby: I've been hoarding bottles of this ink after the whole I-love-MB-Racing-Green-so-of-course-Montblanc-is-going-to-discontinue-it thing.

Love this ink too and had started to hoard it till I got a bottle of MB Lavender which is exactly the same. I always use it in a Pel m150 coupled with a visconti inkpot full of it. Beautiful and I havent any bleed or other problems even on moleskine.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

Glad to hear the modern is the same as I adore this color. Had mine from a fellow FPNer as well and loving it. :cloud9:

I've got a cartridge of this in my Yard o' Led Viceroy Pocket.

The interesting thing is that it's neither a true violet nor is it anything like lavender. Rather it's a wonderfully dark berry purple.

But regardless of what they call it, the best thing about this ink is that the colour is believeable natural. You could almost be writing with freshly pressed grape juice.

So if it's true that the lavender is the same ink under a different name I'm certain to buy a bottle in the near future.

Chris B.

I love the photos in your review!

I love the ink too. It was in my daily carry pen for a while. Very well behaved and a great color. If soaked, most of the color washes away but a faint dark line remains, enough to still be readable.

I switched to using La Reine Mauve just because it's completely waterproof. LRM tends to dry out a little more over time, so I found the pen needs to be flushed occasionally. Whereas, MBV in the same pen would just keep on writing flawlessly, week after week.

This ink looks great with broad and wider nibs which show off the ink's shading properties to best advantage.