• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• KCat

• SamCapote

• USMCMom

Thanks for your reivew, Signum. I've really enjoyed Violet Vote (formerly Iraqi Indigo), which was one of my inks of choice to bring during my brief visit to Baghdad, Iraq. Truly a wonderful ink, and only available through the good folks at Pendemonium (I bought it from their table at the DC Supershow).

Great review! Thanks!!

First thing I thought of before scrolling down was "My gosh, that looks almost like my Concord Grape"!!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

KCat's continual raving about this particular ink caused me to buy a bottle. It's a very nice color, although the color in your writing sample is much more intense than I saw out of my pen. My exeperience was more like GreenVelvet's. I'll have to try it in some different pens to see how the look changes.

Thanks for the great review! I've been wanting to get this ink. It'll be my next purple.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

KCat's continual raving about this particular ink caused me to buy a bottle. It's a very nice color, although the color in your writing sample is much more intense than I saw out of my pen. My exeperience was more like GreenVelvet's. I'll have to try it in some different pens to see how the look changes.

Hmph! Ravings! I Never!

One must step back a few posts and look at Mr. Tony Belding's Ravings for it is he who led me down this dangerous path and yes, my version of VV is not nearly so intense a shade as what I am seeing in the above scan. Beautiful, but not that color of purple.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Signum, wonderful review. You got me motivated to take out various Noodlers' and do a comparison. This is pretty close to what I see in person on this. (click for larger size)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/VioletVotes.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Hi, Signum1,

Great review -- glad to see you working on quadratta textura. Difficult hand but a lot of fun to do. Might want to look into Blackletter and German vulgar hands a bit. Interesting contrasts to textura.

Guess I will have to try out Violet Vote one of these days. For right now, I will stick with my (almost full) bottle of Montblanc Lavender Violet. Really love a good shading ink in purple/violet.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

What a beautiful color!!

Is Noodler's Violet Vote available or perhaps I'm not looking in the right places?

What a beautiful color!!

Is Noodler's Violet Vote available or perhaps I'm not looking in the right places?

Violet Vote is only available from Pendemonium, it is one of their three exclusive colors.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

SamCapote's scan is a good representation of how Violet Vote looks in the pens I've tried so far.

It looks a little bit chalky when dry. I don't normally like that effect, but I think it looks good with this color.

SamCapote's scan is a good representation of how Violet Vote looks in the pens I've tried so far.

It looks a little bit chalky when dry. I don't normally like that effect, but I think it looks good with this color.

Ditto on everything you just said. Violet Vote is a great ink in my experience. I had it in a Stipula Vedo for almost two weeks and did not experience any staining to the large ink window. Pretty impressive for an eternal purple ink.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

What a beautiful color!!

Violet Vote is only available from Pendemonium, it is one of their three exclusive colors.

Thank you

SamCapote,

Thanks for the extra comparisons.

I just want add a couple of things. First, the scanner was not able capture the ink shade for Baystate Concord Grape and La Reine Mauve too well. Secondly, my Lamy 1.9 mm nib is wetter than SamCapote's Lamy 1.9 mm nib.

Randal6393,

I think the next hands after quadrata textura are Schweabacher (easy transition), Bastarde (the name of this hand suggests a child out of wedlock from purebred quadrata textura parents), and Fraktur (fancy).

SamCapote,

Thanks for the extra comparisons.

I just want add a couple of things. First, the scanner was not able capture the ink shade for Baystate Concord Grape and La Reine Mauve too well. Secondly, my Lamy 1.9 mm nib is wetter than SamCapote's Lamy 1.9 mm nib.

Randal6393,

I think the next hands after quadrata textura are Schweabacher (easy transition), Bastarde (the name of this hand suggests a child out of wedlock from purebred quadrata textura parents), and Fraktur (fancy).

Something I'm seeing in these two scans that i think makes a big difference and does indeed have a lot to do with wetness of the nib. If you look at the darkest parts of Sam's scans (the 5) for example, you'll see a similar shade to the general shade in Signum's lettering. Still, in the lighter areas, the squiggles written with a fine nib, you can see the way VV looks most of the time in a standard nib. I bought the ink after seeing it several times in a friend's letters and thinking that this aspect of the ink was cool then Tonybelding said something good about it and all was lost. Anyway - like all inks, the pen and nib decide its fate to a great degree. Also the paper. Sam's scan is what most of us will see in the average pen. But if you've got a broad and wet nib, you might get what Signum gets.

Finally - if anyone buys the ink and doesn't care for it - there are plenty of us who will take it off your hands for a reasonable dollar amount.

:meow:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Further investigation on 20lb paper, I noticed the Violet Vote is less intense in colour to the 32lb paper I used for this review. The lesson: upgrade to better paper and your Violet Vote would look better with a broad nib.

Further investigation on 20lb paper, I noticed the Violet Vote is less intense in colour to the 32lb paper I used for this review. The lesson: upgrade to better paper and your Violet Vote would look better with a broad nib.

Indeed, I just checked that again on HP Laserjet 32# and it is darker with the Brause dips. I should also add that I just swapped that 1.9 nib onto a stock medium nib on a new Lamy, and only dipped the 1.9 end in the VV, so the nib is not well used, and ink was not drawn into feed with converter. I was trying to minimuze my clean-up time, and figured the drop-smear would convey the darker aspects of it.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of this iraqi Indigo/Violet Vote. It was my go to permanent purple for quite awhile. However, be careful when using it in clear demo pens. I was never able to get the stains out of my clear Pelikan M250. Obviously, Noodler's isn't joking around when they call something bulletproof.

Lately, I've been using La Reine Mauve as it is more saturated and vibrant, but they're both nice inks. Just my two cents...