Photos Of A Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen(Circa 1967) Is This A First Edition? Do You Have Any Information?

roygbiv

Here are photos of a Vintage Lamy 2000 EF - "Extra Fine" Fountain Pen that I bought used this year.

This pen model says "LAMY 2000" around the bottom of the pen cap. There is no "W. GERMANY" marking, which I believe was issued on later models? There is no markings on the stainless steel clip. The clip has a polished round ball on the end bottom of the pen clip that rest against the pen, unlike the newer model curved tip. The bold Lamy "L" appears on the end opposite of the nib.

The story behind the pen is that it purchased in Germany by a US soldier while stationed/traveling in Germany around 1967.

Do you have any knowledge of this model?

Unfortunately, The nib isn't in fine condition. I sent this pen to Bob Nurin at Filofax(LAMY USA) for adjustments to the nib, which I feel is scratchier than it should be. He sent it back saying he used very fine sand paper(6000vgrit?) on the nib. He also mentioned I may consider a nib replacement.

A great looking pen!

Thank you and ok!

post-1074-0-70914900-1295799847.jpg post-1074-0-66507500-1295799748.jpg post-1074-0-92402000-1295799755.jpg post-1074-0-37220200-1295799764.jpg

post-1074-0-29661700-1295799817.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roygbiv

• beluga

• Silvermink

• KellyMcJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a beautiful specimen. It is definitely one of the earlier models.

The "ball" on the clip bottom is definitely of note, and the bold L is a

clear sign of the earlier Lamy days. Nibs are cheap! Get a replacement

of the nib and maybe even the feed, for no more than 40 bucks!

The pen clearly illustrates Lamy ingenuity and design excellence. Even

today, this exact (nearly) same design can have it's parts removed,

replaced at will. :thumbup:

Edited by nicholasyeo

Sorry I can't help with info about the pen or what not but I have to chime in and say, that is one good looking pen. Those Lamy 2000's age really nicely.

The above is MY opinion. Would you expect it to be from someone else?

Send a note to Karl Barndt on the Marketplace forum. He has NOS nibs for sale. The steel ones that will fit a 2000 are around 10 bucks :)

What is "NOS"? Thanks for your replies!

Cool! I'd love to pick up a vintage 2000 sometime myself.

"NOS" is New Old Stock, i.e., items that were never sold and have not been used, but were manufactured long ago.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

One idea is to look at Lamuy 27s - which typically come up for auction more cheaply than Lamy 2000s.

Nibs from the square-ended Lamy 27s will fit the 2000s - and might well come from the same general era as your 2000.

One idea is to look at Lamuy 27s - which typically come up for auction more cheaply than Lamy 2000s.

Nibs from the square-ended Lamy 27s will fit the 2000s - and might well come from the same general era as your 2000.

The Lamy 27 looks like an interesting pen; I had no idea! You are right about them being cheaper. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you for the tip.

As the classic Lamy 2000 design is based on a black/silver contrast, fitting a gold nib from a Lamy 27 may technically work, but I would not consider it aesthetically pleasing.

I also fail to understand why one would want to fit a steel nib when Lamy 2000 nibs are known as exceptionally smooth writers.

Dealing with Lamy in Germany directly, I've found that if I need to replace a gold nib on one of my Lamys, Lamy will charger a lower price for a nib exchange than for an outright spare nib purchase. If you were to buy a nib from somewhere else, you may not have that advantage.

If I had to make this choice, I would ask Lamy to exchange the nib and fit a Lamy 2000 nib (at which time the service centre could also lubricate the piston, if necessary).

You will have your Lamy back in your hands sooner and it will look and write as it was meant to.

Just my 2 cts worth.....

B.

Edited by beluga

Thanks for your comments. I sent the pen off to Bob at Filofax yesterday. A new nib, ink feed, gaskets and S/H are $65; well worth it, I think. I have requested that he send the old parts back with the pen(why not?).

I opted not for the steel nib.

I always preferred writing with my previous Lamy 2000 over my Pilot Vanishing Point and Shaffear Legacy 2(This year thinned down my collection to these core three pens). It always just felt right, held the right amount of ink, great nib flex, and grand flow. Throw in a bottle of Noodler's Black and I'd call it a desert island pen.

A lotus flower to you,

Edited by xburninmystarsx

Thanks for your comments. I sent the pen off to Bob at Filofax yesterday. A new nib, ink feed, gaskets and S/H are $65; well worth it, I think. I have requested that he send the old parts back with the pen(why not?).

The price is indeed quite reasonable.

As mentioned before, buying a new nib and asking for the old one back may be more expensive than a nib exchange.

If you have no further use for the old nib, an exchange may be cheaper and hence preferable

B.

Wait, Bob Nurin (the vintage pen dealer at the NYC show) is part of Filofax?

Awesome

I vote, just get the existing nib tuned

Seems to be a decent piece of tipping left

I just received great news in an e-mail confirmation from

Stephen Proctor at http://lamy.sproctor.com/:

...As for your beautiful Lamy 2000, it is indeed the very first official

production model, produced in 1966 or early 1967. The very first models did

not have the West Germany reference underneath the clip. ...

[insert ecstatic smiley face here]

Edited by xburninmystarsx

who would have made steel nibs for a 2000? was there a bottom-end model at one point or something?

The stainless steel nibs were NOT made for the 2000, but for the Ratio line.

But, they happen to fit the 2000 perfectly and are a lot cheaper than gold (and they match the color of the platinum-plated nibs once installed). These vintage stainless nibs also tend to have the tiniest bit of flex, making them more responsive than today's gold nibs from Lamy.

Also, I'd like to reiterate the comment about using Lamy 27 (and 99) gold nibs in a 2000. Only use the nibs from the pens with squared-off barrel ends. The earlier models (with rounded barrel ends) used a different nib design that won't fit and could damage the 2000's hood or feed if you try to force it.

--Karl

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

I just had to buy a new nib for my brand new Lamy 2000 pen. There was an accident and it hit the floor bending the nib. I had the pen less than 30 minutes. Lamy U.S.A. charged me $56.00 for a new nib when I sent it in. Lamy will not cover accidents. Bob at Lamy repair made sure the nib was smooth and a good XF.

Lesson learned about making sure cap is secure on pen. Why couldn't one of my safaris have dropped on the nib?

As the classic Lamy 2000 design is based on a black/silver contrast, fitting a gold nib from a Lamy 27 may technically work, but I would not consider it aesthetically pleasing.

I'm using a Lamy 99 gold nib in mine right now and while it isn't aesthetically-pleasing, man is it nice to write with. I've not-entirely-unseriously considered having one of these Lamy 99 M nibs rhodium-plated to match the 2000.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for the tip on replacing the feed -- I didn't think about that.

Yeah, since they have been in production for so long, nearly everything

is replaceable! :thumbup: :thumbup: That's what makes this a legend.