Review Platinum Sepia (Pigmented)

SamCapote

I have had this Platinum Pigmented Sepia ink for at least 3-4 months undisturbed, and thought I would do a review and a couple of comparisons. Visually the bottle had absolutely no sign of a sediment on the bottom, so that was reassuring. I can see that there is a wide variety of what people think real Sepia should look like. I have some other versions I could look up for comparisons, but this is mainly a review of the one ink for now. Of course the immediate concern with any pigmented ink is that it might be a higher risk of precipitating out inside of your fountain pen. However, this is another of the Platinum nano-size pigment particles that are so fine, they are not sedimenting out at all, and after using it for these reviews in more conservative dip and dollar pens, I am not worried about using it in decent quality pens....like Waterman Phileas, Sailor 1911, Lamy Safari types.

It was very well behaved. No smell, a predominantly brown shade. I did a sample and scanned on Rhodia Dot Pad and also on Staples Eco paper tablet for comparisons. It was exceptionally waterproof. I did not see one speck wash off after constant stream of 30 seconds. I scanned these on my Epson V600 using Vue Scan software and IP8 color image calibration. These look pretty true to originals.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Sailor/Platinum-Sepia1s.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Sailor/Platinum-Sepia2s.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Uncial

• NicolausPiscator

• GreenMountain

Hi,

Many thanks!

This one strikes me as a slightly warm & convivial Brown.

Does this ink (or other Platinum particle inks) have a prohibition against mixing?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Does this ink (or other Platinum particle inks) have a prohibition against mixing?

Yeah, I'm curious, too. I've been thinking about getting some red and blue to make a permanent purple, and maybe some black to make a blue-black. I'm not sure I'll succeed, but if the project is doomed before I start, may as well save the money.

Thanks for doing this review. I've been curious about this ink. It looks like a nice, waterproof brown.

I'm so glad you reviewed this ink. I've been eyeing it, even though I have lots of browns already. It's a nice looking shade, and being waterproof makes it even better. I may have to add some to my next ink order. Thanks!

I think you could mix this with the other Platinum Pigmented. I have all of them, and none show any sedimentation. I suspect they are all made the same way, and likely with the same liquid they are suspended in. They all smell the same, and hard to smell anything with almost no odor.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the thorough review.

Got a sampler of the sepia recently. It's much too (light) brown to be the 'old world' sepia I want for my drawing. But the prospect of a true waterproof FP ink compels me to try mixing it with the carbon black to see if I can get close to the true cottlefish ink based sepia. Very pricey ink, but both black and sepia will be ordered today.

I've loaded up a Pilot Penmanship EF with the last of the sampler and am letting it sit for a couple weeks to see what I can get away with.

• 6 years later...

Has anyone mixed these or any Platinum Pigmented Inks ? I'm thinking about this as well, the red and black, red and blue, etc.. Could be really cool!

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your useful and serious review of this interesting sepia / brown. It is in my impression a very modest colour unlike the more sensual brown inks with more red. At the moment I am looking for "the perfect" brown ink and Platinum's Sepia is one of my candidates in the elimination stage.

I've seen a complete colour chart for missing all of them, showing you all of the different shades you can get and the exact proportions for mixes. I'm afraid I can't remember where I saw it, but it looked like it was official and from Platinum themselves. I've tried a few of them (unmixed) and while I didn't really like the colours I had the lubrication on the nib was really something very special.

• 2 years later...

Some pics of the sepia color look reddish, not what I'm looking for. However nibs.com has ink cartridges (2 for a dollar), which seems like a bargain for testing. Plan to get black and brown to come up with a darker brown.

Its a kind of pinkish brown. I like this ink in high concentrations. Poor fading resistance with exposure to light.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”