New Parkers Made Where? And Mistakes In The Packaging?

ReverendPen

OK so I went to Office Max, just looking around and found some interesting things.

First thing that I noticed was that most of the Parkers on the shelf (IMs, Urbans, and Vectors) were all made in china.

Jotters were made in UK EXCEPT for the higher priced Jotters (the premiums) which are listed as being made in china.

the Urban FP did NOT have a country of origin marked on the package.

I also noticed a packaging mistake. The Parker IM ball points are labeled, on the front face of the packaging, as roller balls, yet on the back side they are correctly labeled as ball point. Right next to them were the correctly labeled ball points.

I did not buy the incorrectly labeled package but I am thinking perhaps I should...

I eventually walked away with nothing..though the IM gunmetal RB and BP sure look pretty and the Urban FP felt better (in my hand) than what I expected.

One last thing...am I the only one annoyed with Parker's website?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joane

• richardandtracy

• icardoth

• ReverendPen

All very interesting questions. I'm a real Parkerphile but I don't think I'll be buying any of those Parkers made in China. I'm also wondering where Duofolds are going to be made, now that the Newhaven factory is closed. Any coming out of France? Some French Parkers I have seen like the original Première are exquisitely made. I'd like to see what they can do with a Duofold.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

All very interesting questions. I'm a real Parkerphile but I don't think I'll be buying any of those Parkers made in China. I'm also wondering where Duofolds are going to be made, now that the Newhaven factory is closed. Any coming out of France? Some French Parkers I have seen like the original Première are exquisitely made. I'd like to see what they can do with a Duofold.

I tried a french Parker Duofold pearl and black last week(perhaps you remember!).The built quality was well,don't think there was any difference from the previous Duofolds I've seen and tried.The nib quality, however, was far away from what I expected...Scratchy,scratchy,scratchy...and not flexible at all(that's a personal taste,of course...)

Materials' science and engineering dept, University of Ioannina, Greece

I tried a french Parker Duofold pearl and black last week(perhaps you remember!).The built quality was well,don't think there was any difference from the previous Duofolds I've seen and tried.The nib quality, however, was far away from what I expected...Scratchy,scratchy,scratchy...and not flexible at all(that's a personal taste,of course...)

Tzimios, I did not realize that Duofold was made in France, Sorry to hear they turned out a scratchy nib, but as I said, you can exchange the nib with Parker for a different one and if you decide to go that route I hope you can get a satisfying nib in return.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

• 1 month later...

Tha Parker web site is very frustrating & the silly 'try a pen' app is no more than a gimmick.

Regards,

Richard.

Yeah... it's a headache :bonk: :wacko:

I'm not your 'friend', bud

chinese parker? absolutely not for me!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Jotters were made in UK EXCEPT for the higher priced Jotters (the premiums) which are listed as being made in china.

One last thing...am I the only one annoyed with Parker's website?

I've been trying to confirm the production country of the premium jotters - when you say "listed" do you mean this was shown on the packaging as "made in China" or some retailer blurb.

Yep, the website is a SHOCKER.

• 4 weeks later...

Tzimios, I did not realize that Duofold was made in France, Sorry to hear they turned out a scratchy nib, but as I said, you can exchange the nib with Parker for a different one and if you decide to go that route I hope you can get a satisfying nib in return.

Duofolds have been made in France since about January 2010. Although they have alot of experience with nibs for handmade pens from the Waterman range, you cannot rule out the possibility that they had some problems taking over the production of the Duofold nib. Newhaven had been making this pen for 30 years so it was down to a fine art.

I also noticed a packaging mistake. The Parker IM ball points are labeled, on the front face of the packaging, as roller balls, yet on the back side they are correctly labeled as ball point. Right next to them were the correctly labeled ball points.

This rang a bell... took me a while to remember why, but I recall the Frontier fountain pen blister packs having no indication whatsoever of their colour. I wanted a black barreled version, and got sent purple versions by two different sellers. It's pretty hard to tell by looking at the blister packs. It couldn't have done sales much good... A bit of a "meh" attitude to brand image, after all the effort of producing youthful colours and finishes.

I've just been on the site, the "meh" theme is at least consistent.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

You will find that the nibs bed in.

I have a mix of Duos - but never write with them, but a colleague in my office uses all his but his Rockwell.

He loves the nibs.

I think you should just use your nib until it settles and enjoy it :)

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"