I Need Some Esterbrook Help!

Hey guys! I've got a question for anyone who's got an answer. :)

I trying to replace the clip in an Esterbrook. My problem is this. - That brass rivet which holds the clip in. How do you remove it? Then how do you put it back in tight again? Do you need a tool for this?

I have this problem also when I'm trying to tighten up a clip. I need to know how to tighten that rivet-thingy.

Thanks in advance for any answers. notworthy1.gif

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• kathleen

• Autopoint

Replacing the clip on an esterbrook is no easy task. The rivet needs to be replaced and re-tightened with a new rivet. Problem is you can crack a cap trying to tighten the rivet.

I am working on a tool to do this operation, but it is not finished yet. Problem is the tool will cost more than the price of a pen (or two), so will only be for my own repairs.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

...That brass rivet which holds the clip in. How do you remove it? Then how do you put it back in tight again? Do you need a tool for this?

Regards,

I'm also working on a solution to this problem. Check the other thread below, which explains how to get to and then remove the brass eyelet, and where to locate new eyelets.

Replacing Pocket Clips

I expect to be able to add a solution to that thread yet this month, since I already have the tools and am currently experimenting with pressing/reinstalling the clip with the eyelet.

- - - Happy Fixin', Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

Brian,

You are certainly a Master. In Estie-land I think of you as the Wonderful Wizard! All knowing. I can not foresee that I would ever develop the skill needed to go beyond sacs and j bars, exactly why my Estie clinic does not treat patients with missing broken clips. I presently have one beautiful, streaky blue J with a chipped cap jewel and a clip ring with what appears to be a sawed off clip (the length of the clip is missing). I would love to send this patient to someone with a transplant, donor clip, and the ability to replace the cap jewel. Please advise me concerning your charges and when, how to admit a patient to your care.

I have a desire to see every Estie restored. This very dark, streaky blue could be particularly stunning if not for it's present injury.

Jim, would you like to try? I know this repair is way beyond my ability.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Thanks for the answers guys! Thanks for the link Autopoint. Very useful information you've got there. I can't wait to see the outcome!

WOW, sounds like a complex surgery. Still, I've heard tales of doom with all complex Esterbrook surgery. So maybe it's not so bad once you get the right tools. I don't seem to have any problems replacing jewels so I might, might, just maybe try and replace a clip myself. Or I might try and send it to someone who actually can...

Kathleen - I agree with the philosophy that every Esterbrook should be allowed to come to it's full potential. I hate seeing pens that are almost perfect EXCEPT for that missing clip or broken jewel. It sorta' nags at me...

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Welll, there are always those heroes that sacrifice themselves for the well being of the others. Let's all think for a minute of all these Esties slaughtered for their J-bars, nibs, jewels, levers, sections, clips, caps etc. to give a new life to some other, more 'desirable' kin!

:notworthy1:

swisspenpal

Those that sacrifice themselves for another", you say! Look at this horrific display of carnage!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...08#ht_500wt_997

Sad, so sad! Many here are jewel-less, clip-less, lever- less. Have these Esties donated their

j bars? Where are their sections, nibs and feeds? it is difficult to determine the full extent of the sacrifice these have made, Sac less, section-less, nib-less, they can neither consume, store or dispense their life's blood (ink), the fluid so essential to their purpose and a meaningful existence; I suspect many here may never know the joy of writing again. crybaby.gifWho shall want them now in their deplorable condition? I grieve for them. sad.gif

Let us observe a moment of silence................................

And now a call to all restored Estie pens, those who became the beneficiaries of cannibalized, transplanted bits and pieces, I entreat you to write boldly, fearlessly and with gratitude so that, these your brethren who sacrificed so much, will not have perished in vain!

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

I saw that that lot, barely even a lever insight. When we were partly remodeling our kitchen last year, Lisa and I were discussing what to do for a backsplash behind the sink. There used to be fake brick. My suggestion was to cut a bunch of Estie barrels in half and make that the backsplash. Somehow the reality that we probably had enough parts barrels lying around and the fact she knew I was partly serious made Lisa say NO. I thought it would have looked pretty cool. Oh well, Paint is nice too. :ltcapd:

Cheers-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I saw that that lot, barely even a lever insight. When we were partly remodeling our kitchen last year, Lisa and I were discussing what to do for a backsplash behind the sink. There used to be fake brick. My suggestion was to cut a bunch of Estie barrels in half and make that the backsplash. Somehow the reality that we probably had enough parts barrels lying around and the fact she knew I was partly serious made Lisa say NO. I thought it would have looked pretty cool. Oh well, Paint is nice too. :ltcapd:

Cheers-

Brian

All the beautiful colors, what a cheery sight to greet you with your morning coffee, yes Brian, I can appreciate your backsplash. These parts need to come to some good end.

Estie bodies are so gorgeous in their luminescent colors, could they be further cut to pieces and then strung like beads, into jewelry, necklaces and bracelets? Would your wife appreciate a piece of Estie jewelry, I think I would. Or could they be made into a mosaic work of art? a sun-catcher, a mobile, a picture frame, or Christmas ornaments?

Edited by kathleen

Mosaic Esterbrook art... Now that IS a thought. hmm1.gif

Just a little update on two things if anyone cares to know.

1. - I got the inner cap out of a J without an inner cap puller OR a tap/die thingy. I just pushed on it from the top with a screw driver (very carefully mind you) and it came right out (after soaking in water for a few minutes).

2. - I got that brass rivet and broken clip off of the same J without any damage to the pen! And all I used were some pliers and more screw drivers. I think I might be able to do this thing! eureka.gif

I guess I'll see what comes of it...

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

I'd offer small lots of Bates eyelets suitable for replacing Esterbrook pocket clip holding "eyelets" or "rivets" if you need them. Just PM me for a lot of 10 shipped. For the moment I've got plenty, and I know where they live.

- - - Happy Fixin', Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator