Pelikan Ibis

vans4444

Just a quick review of the Pelikan IBIS

I bought the pen in poor condition, for not much. The piston was broken. It has just arrived back from being repaired by a well known FPN member so I thought I would try a quick review.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/IBIS1.jpg

Pelikan IBIS

I understand the IBIS was first produced in 1936. It was not produced between 1942 and 1947. Before 1949 the pen was 115mm long. This one is 120mm capped, with a barrel diameter of 11mm which means it was made after 1949. I believe it went out of production in 1954.

The above information was obtained from this site

IBIS

First Impressions

It is a small pen. It looks and feels stiff and well made. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the pen looked compared to how it was when I sent it away to be repaired.

Design

It is typical of early Pelikan design. It has the domed cap shape of the 100 and 100N. The pen is completely black with gold clip and cap ring. I use the pen capped but it does not cap particularly securely.

Nib

This is the best part of the pen. It is a springy Fine steel CN nib and ranks as one of the best Pelikan nibs in my small collection. It is stamped IBIS. It is slightly oblique and semi flexible with a good ink flow. It is fun to use and deserves an owner with a better writing style than I possess. It is smooth but a little noisy on the page.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/IBIS2.jpg

Filling

A piston fill holding a large amount of ink for a small pen. The correct piston seals are hard to find so it was repaired using an O ring. This makes the piston a little stiff but perfectly usable.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/IBIS3.jpg

Overall

It is a great user grade pen, with a very good nib.

For size comparison I include the picture below. From bottom to top the pens are a Pelikan 100, 100N, IBIS, 120, 140

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Pelikans100100NIBIS120140.jpg

Edited by vans4444

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vans4444

• Professor Zlatko

• beak

• Inkwisitor

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Always like clear pix of old Pelikans. This one is too small for my hand, but if I were to collect for its own sake, this would be on my list. Good luck.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

• 4 months later...

Do you wanna sell a pelikan 120???

Thanks for the request, but no I am attached to all my Pelikans, especially the black ones.

Thanks for a nicely illustrated review. I'm very attached to my 140 in green striated uniform.

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys