Sealing Cartridges

Gonz

Hi everyone!

Since joining FPN, I've been given instructions on how to refill a used ink cartridge, but from this rose a question, with a background history, of course:

Being in college, and since I use Parker Quink Mini cartridges, I expect (read: fear) I may someday run through a whole cartridge in a single day. I just did that writing on my pseudo-novel, and it didn't take much effort.

Since Parker doesn't sell cartridges full of Blue Black ink, I'm thinking of buying a jar and filling a few cartridges, but... If I fill more than one, and leave it unsealed, it will most likely (read: certainly) leak, or worse, it might spoil the ink.

So, have any of you out there run into this problem, and maybe have a few suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gonz

• rwilsonedn

• Yoda4561

• Doodledevil

I've often considered this but never tried. I do remember this subject coming up before. It might be worth doing a search of the forums to find the other thread. I've come up with an alternative solution which many others here have also used (even if not with the aim of avoiding having to seal refilled cartidges) and that is to carry several pens. One of the best excuses for buying more pens!

Hope you find a good solution for your circumstances.

I've often considered this but never tried. I do remember this subject coming up before. It might be worth doing a search of the forums to find the other thread. I've come up with an alternative solution which many others here have also used (even if not with the aim of avoiding having to seal refilled cartidges) and that is to carry several pens. One of the best excuses for buying more pens!

Hope you find a good solution for your circumstances.

I'll search ;)

As to having multiple pens, I currently only own two fountain pens, but have already discovered that different pens apparently serve different purposes. My Parker Esprit (fine nib) seems perfect for cursive writing, but I believe I'll use the Parker I.M. more often when writing math. Only time will tell. Still, the question remains...

EDIT: I've found this other thread, but nothing seems quite useful... Maybe there have been deveolpments?

EDIT2: Found this also. A few good ideas so far. Maybe this thread ends up being some kind of an index on the subject or something.

Edited by Gonz

I believe a couple of folks have said in previous threads that they use a hot-glue gun successfully. I haven't tried it.

ron

When I remove a cartridge that still has ink in it, or fill one and then change my mind, I put the cartridge right-side-up in a shot glass in my ink tray. It sits there quietly until I want to use it. If the ink dries a little, I squirt in some water.

Okay, so it takes me a while to realize you want to carry the cartridge with you. I've been known to put a straight pin, one of those that has a little ball on top, into the cartridge. Then I seal it into a tiny plastic bag. If it's only in there a short time the pin won't rust.

—Jill

Edited by Aunt Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I believe a couple of folks have said in previous threads that they use a hot-glue gun successfully. I haven't tried it.

ron

To be honest, I can't imagine a hot glue gun getting the job done, but maybe that's just the sleepless hours accumulating...

I've used ordinary candle wax, but to remove it I put the cartridge in a cool place so all of the wax cap came off, of course you can just carry fresh cartridges with you.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I use a hot glue gun. I have to apply the glue on the rim first, then gradually make a little spiral into the middle. It take a little bit of effort to pop off the glue, but I've had pretty good success so far. I usually try to make a little glue tab on the side so my fingernail has something to grab on to.

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

I use a hot glue gun. I have to apply the glue on the rim first, then gradually make a little spiral into the middle. It take a little bit of effort to pop off the glue, but I've had pretty good success so far. I usually try to make a little glue tab on the side so my fingernail has something to grab on to.

Paperskater: Thanks for the practical suggestion! I wondered about getting the plug out again.

ron

I'd say hot glue as well. I'm pretty sure you can still buy glue sticks that work on different materials- they used to at least. If you put enough glue on it, you can just pick it off later when you're ready to use it.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I don't know what a Parker mini cartridge looks like. I use a fat rubber band to seal regular size Parker and Waterman cartridges. The right size rubber band will stretch end-to-end on the cartridge and seal it perfectly. No leaks.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Thank you very much, everyone, for your kind replies :D

I don't know what a Parker mini cartridge looks like. I use a fat rubber band to seal regular size Parker and Waterman cartridges. The right size rubber band will stretch end-to-end on the cartridge and seal it perfectly. No leaks.

Paddler

I like your idea very much, sounds safe, and has a reduced risk of contaminating the ink. Thanks a lot :)

ron

To be honest, I can't imagine a hot glue gun getting the job done, but maybe that's just the sleepless hours accumulating...

Why's that?

I've used the small hot-melt glue guns you can get in home improvement or hobby stores for many projects. I've found that once the glue has cooled it's quite indestructible and entirely waterproof.

Using a small blob over the opening of an ink cartridge works well to seal it, yet flicks off with a finger nail when you want to open it again.

For all that, I wouldn't quite trust it enough to carry the cartridges loose in my pocket or bag however. I would carry them inside a pill bottle or mint tin (like an Altoids tin).

First thing I would try is that Glad Press'n Seal wrap. That stuff sticks and makes a great seal with glass, ceramic, and plastic containers for leftovers. I'm sure it would attach/seal the top and sides effectively, while being easy to remove. Much better than Saran or other plastic wraps.

My favorite use was when I broke a bone in my foot, and had to find a way to seal the opening taking showers. Perfect for that with stick and stretch characteristics.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

First thing I would try is that Glad Press'n Seal wrap. That stuff sticks and makes a great seal with glass, ceramic, and plastic containers for leftovers. I'm sure it would attach/seal the top and sides effectively, while being easy to remove. Much better than Saran or other plastic wraps.

My favorite use was when I broke a bone in my foot, and had to find a way to seal the opening taking showers. Perfect for that with stick and stretch characteristics.

!!! Press and seal for wound care!!! I would never have thought of that even though I've noticed how it sticks to skin too. I'll have to try that next time I get a roll of it.

A glue stick works a treat, wonderful idea, I give my thanks and take a bow to the people who posted this advice.

I found that just melting the very end of the glue stick, then pushing it so that the glue penetrated 2mm into the nozzle .... followed by a twisting and then withdrawing action of the glue stick .... permitted an easily accomplished professional finish. Waited a minute to cool then tried squeezing cartridge, no problems encountered. Use of a finger nail allows the glue cap to be removed easily.

A glue stick works a treat, wonderful idea, I give my thanks and take a bow to the people who posted this advice.

I found that just melting the very end of the glue stick, then pushing it so that the glue penetrated 2mm into the nozzle .... followed by a twisting and then withdrawing action of the glue stick .... permitted an easily accomplished professional finish. Waited a minute to cool then tried squeezing cartridge, no problems encountered. Use of a finger nail allows the glue cap to be removed easily.

Great info, thanks! I'll probably try this with some lamy cartridges soon. Store them in a ziplock or other leakproof container if they're on the go just in case the recapping fails.

Update to previous post on this subject.

I found that slightly squeezing cartridge (before placing the glue stick to the cartridge's nozzle) will remove a little air which, when pressure on the cartridge is released, causes a vacuum that will suck a little of the glue into the cartridge's nozzle. Such a small amount of glue in the cartridge’s nozzle is enough to seal it (once the glue has hardened) even when pressure is applied.

A nice clean cut/professional finish can be achieved by giving a straight wipe of excess glue from the outside of the nozzle. However, to open the cartridge you have to use a pin to lever out the hardened glue.

Edited by Doodledevil