Parker Frontier Fountain Pen Review

ThirdeYe

Here is a review of my newly acquired Parker Frontier fountain pen with an Extra Fine nib. One thing I'd like to add that I didn't include in my review is that it looks and feels a lot like a lower end version of the discontinued Parker Insignia from the late 90s. It has a somewhat similar size/shape/cap/clip, etc. That's what it reminds me of, at least. :) For larger versions of the images below, please visit my blog here: http://derekspensandpencils.blogspot.com/2011/01/parker-frontier-fountain-pen-review.html

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1238/parkerreviewsmall.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6277/p1030192j.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3839/p1030193x.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4808/p1030195f.jpg

Comments and questions welcome!

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• M@rtin

• Dino71

• InfernoOrangeSS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thx for the review. i agree with prety much every you pointed out. i have the grey body version with a M nib. truly one of the smoothest steel nibs i own.

grats!!!

I've got one of these in a medium nib and translucent blue - love it. One of my favourite pens, and for such a low price. I also like the design. Feels modern and traditional at the same time.

Nice review of an underrated pen. It feels just right in my hand. But I have to admit, the rattling converter can really get on your nerves!

Thank you for the review.

I must admit I thought the Frontier is closer in design inspiration to a Sonnet than the Insignia.

It's a nice pen, but I do have concerns over the longevity of the cap click area rather than the rubberised section. Non-metals in this area seem to wear fairly rapidly.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

richardandtracy - You might be right. I do not have a Sonnet, so I was only able to compare it to pens I own. I'd like to get a Sonnet someday. :)

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I have a jet flighter version SS (M nib, fine or extra-fine nibs doesn´t exist in Argentina).

It's a good pen for everyday use. I agree with richardandtracy about a cap-click area.However, I think it is a beautiful pen.

Enjoy it!

Saludos

I have a jet flighter version SS (M nib, fine or extra-fine nibs doesn´t exist in Argentina).

It's a good pen for everyday use. I agree with richardandtracy about a cap-click area.However, I think it is a beautiful pen.

Enjoy it!

Saludos

Most companies primarily sell pens with medium nibs in the U.S. now (Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, etc.) and finding a fine or extra fine seems to be harder and harder these days.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one of these today. It's got a steel cap and a black barrel and is made in the UK. I don't know where the production date code is or how to read it. I also don't know what size nib it wears as I could find no size markings on the steel nib.

I'm using Quink Blue cartridges in it as I bought this pen for travel. I was surprised at how smoothly it writes. I chose it over the other entry-level Parkers because I liked the feel of the barrel. Fits me well and I like using it unposted.

“It's not the last blow of the axe that fells the tree.”

I purchased one of these today. It's got a steel cap and a black barrel and is made in the UK. I don't know where the production date code is or how to read it. I also don't know what size nib it wears as I could find no size markings on the steel nib.

I'm using Quink Blue cartridges in it as I bought this pen for travel. I was surprised at how smoothly it writes. I chose it over the other entry-level Parkers because I liked the feel of the barrel. Fits me well and I like using it unposted.

On the cap it should say something like "IIP" or "IY", that is your date code. See the link the poster above me posted for what they translate to. The nib should be marked on the feed, on the opposite side of the nib in the black plastic. Mine says "X"

Derek's Pens and Pencils

The codes tell me it is a 2008 Production. Nib is an F.

The pen started acting up though. It stopped so I rinsed the nib section with plain water. It was able to go about 7 pages of notes before stopping again.

I immersed the nib section in water mixed with 1 drop of dishwashing soap. After an hour, I rinsed it with clean water and then replaced the cartridge. Wrote another 12 pages of notes before stopping. I tried blowing through the nib assembly and that usually gets the pen started again. However, it is stopping a lot.

Don't know what is causing this but if anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd be thankful!

Regards,

Dino71

I think you must use a converter and 'ink' your pen with water only.Flush the pen. Repeat these a few times (to eliminate particles/oil on the system). With a tissue let the nib section to dry.

Edited by M@rtin

Nice review! I really like writing reviews.

Lovely color & finish. Frontier is one of the most reliable entry pens! Absolutely robust!

Best regards,

Fabricio

I'm new to this FP game and I bought a Frontier Dawn just before Christmas coz it has such a traditional Parker look (at least to me!) and an awesome modern colour!!

Found it such a great value buy and went on to buy a S/S GT one on new year day and now waiting patiently for its arrival!!

Nice review! I really like writing reviews.

Lovely color & finish. Frontier is one of the most reliable entry pens! Absolutely robust!

Best regards,

Fabricio

Thanks! It is a nice pen indeed.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I think you must use a converter and 'ink' your pen with water only.Flush the pen. Repeat these a few times (to eliminate particles/oil on the system). With a tissue let the nib section to dry.

Finally found a cartridge converter. I flushed the pen with water mixed with a drop of dishwashing liquid, then again with just clean water. I changed ink to Quink Black and so far, it's writing like a champ!

I'll see how it behaves over the next few days.

Finally found a cartridge converter. I flushed the pen with water mixed with a drop of dishwashing liquid, then again with just clean water. I changed ink to Quink Black and so far, it's writing like a champ!

I'll see how it behaves over the next few days.

I think you'll like it. :) I'm surprised at how quickly it's becoming my go-to pen. The XF nib is the perfect size for me, and the pen is good looking, smooth and comfortable. Good luck!

Derek's Pens and Pencils

A very nice pen, one of the smoothest I have. But sadly, the pen cap somehow loosens over time. I mean, most clip on caps should come loose with age, but the symptoms started appearing only after around 1 month of daily use, for all 3 of my Parker Frontiers.