Diamine Jade Green

shaylenwilliams

When I think "Jade" green, I think more along the lines of this color:

http://www.stylebakeryteen.com/images/ardenring.jpg

This Diamine ink is not that color, but it is indeed fabulous. (Wouldn't an ink that color be great too???)

A Google Image search shows that the actual Jade stone varies wildly in color, and a few examples do exhibit the color of this ink. Having learned this, I can't quite say that this ink has an official misnomer, but it could be confusing. To me "Jade Green" is "lime" green, that borders on chartreuse depending on the lighting.

That said, I still love this ink, and now that I know to research examples rather than buy ink based on names, I did purchase this ink because it looked like lime green

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDNrAcmRkI/AAAAAAAAAG8/AeKdpeHvhR8/s1600/DiamineJageGreen1.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDPvGmE4QI/AAAAAAAAAHM/mRges-1gj-0/s1600/DiamineJGreen5.JPG

The color, again, can best be described as a lime green. It is very bright, but stops just short of neon. This color would likely be considered too "loud", and perhaps even obnoxious by more conservative fountain pen users. If you have trouble reading bright or light inks, this would not be a good choice for you. I am posting both photographs and a scan, but the color in person seems much more like what the photographs show. The scan is too light and too yellow, and adjusting it did no favors. This ink does lean a little yellow, and thus looks chartreuse in some lighting. It is not an annoyingly obvious aspect of this ink, but it is there.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDPbDxcMeI/AAAAAAAAAHA/jK_z785auvo/s1600/DiamineJGreen2.JPG

This ink is about as well behaved as they come. Great flow, no feathering, and no bleed-through. The dry time seems a bit lengthy in my test, but I don't notice it when writing normally (like you do with say, Noodler's Black Swan in a flex nib). There is noticeable shading using this Safari B nib, and it really adds a nice touch to the overall appearance of this ink on the page. I suspect that in a dry, fine nib, that this color may be too light to read easily.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDPh4oh9XI/AAAAAAAAAHE/3and3SeYhT0/s1600/DiamineJGreen3.JPG

This ink is NOT waterproof, but makes no claims to be.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDPojyRIGI/AAAAAAAAAHI/cN21Az5ZB1A/s1600/DiamineJGreen4.JPG

Since this ink is so light and bright, I decided to do a "highlighter" test with it, where I just scribbled it over a black Sharpie Pen sample. I think I could work, especially if loaded into an appropriate tool.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TSDSKGUmwYI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/SEuO6sQoSRo/s1600/DiamineJadeGreen.jpg

(Scan of written review)

I ordered this ink as a sample from The Goulet Pen Company, and I wholeheartedly intend to buy a full bottle. I love this ink, and now I am craving some Key Lime pie!

Review can also be seen here.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• inkspot

• Bronze

• Stephany

Great review, thanks! Now you have me craving limes too! I've always been a fan of the dark, rich colours, but after trying Diamine Pumpkin and Kelly Green I've been converted to the brighter shades. This one is definitely making its way onto my must-have list!

Great review, thanks! Now you have me craving limes too! I've always been a fan of the dark, rich colours, but after trying Diamine Pumpkin and Kelly Green I've been converted to the brighter shades. This one is definitely making its way onto my must-have list!

Thanks!!!

That reminds me, I would really like to see a side-by-side of Diamine's Jade Green, Light Green, and Kelly Green. They all look pretty similar on the Swab Shop.

Also, I have seen Pumpkin in a letter from a pen-pal, and it seems pretty similar to Blaze Orange, which I have. You have to appreciate Diamine offering colors that are so similar to one another. YOU KNOW there are people who might hate one, and love the next shade lighter or darker. I have branched out and tried a few new brands of ink, and I have to say, Diamine is shaping up to be the favorite.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I would really like to see a side-by-side of Diamine's Jade Green, Light Green, and Kelly Green. They all look pretty similar on the Swab Shop.

From what I've seen, the Kelly Green is a more blue-toned green (though by no means a blue-green) than the Jade Green, which I find to be quite yellow - I kind of think of them as grass green and celery green. When I place my next ink order I'll be sure to do a comparison!

I agree that Diamine does produce several similar shades - something I really appreciate, as I am finicky about my colours. Case in point: I love deep rusty orange of the Pumkpin ink, but I find Blaze Orange a little too bright for my taste - I know, picky, picky, picky ;) I really like the variety Diamine offers, and the ink is so lovely to write with.

The Jade Green is so bright and cheery - I think it would look lovely with a lavender or a plum ink! How does it look with a finer nib? Is the colour still as strong or does it appear more washed out?

I would really like to see a side-by-side of Diamine's Jade Green, Light Green, and Kelly Green. They all look pretty similar on the Swab Shop.

From what I've seen, the Kelly Green is a more blue-toned green (though by no means a blue-green) than the Jade Green, which I find to be quite yellow - I kind of think of them as grass green and celery green. When I place my next ink order I'll be sure to do a comparison!

I agree that Diamine does produce several similar shades - something I really appreciate, as I am finicky about my colours. Case in point: I love deep rusty orange of the Pumkpin ink, but I find Blaze Orange a little too bright for my taste - I know, picky, picky, picky ;) I really like the variety Diamine offers, and the ink is so lovely to write with.

The Jade Green is so bright and cheery - I think it would look lovely with a lavender or a plum ink! How does it look with a finer nib? Is the colour still as strong or does it appear more washed out?

I'm not really sure, all I have had it in so far are a wide Calligraphy pen and the B Safari. I don't even have a pen that I would consider "fine". Someone else may be able to chime in on that one.

I also have Noodler's Dragon's Napalm loaded up, and those two look good side by side! They might sear some peoples' eyes out, but I like it! Ha!

The Poor Connoisseurs

- Thank you for the review :)

I found this ink to be a little on the light side and see it as an ink I might use every now and then, but not really a general purpose ink.

It also worked pretty nicely as a highlighter ink in a Pilot Parallel Pen.

Edited by Bronze

I agree with you Bronze. I am wondering if their Light Green is just a brilliant, but a bit more practical? If no one else chimes in, I may see if I can order samples of it and Kelly Green next time I "go Goulet-ing" and do some side-by-sides.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Thanks for this review. Very well done. First thing I thought of was Kelly Green, but this Jade green is more yellow, more golden. I too was expecting something more brown with a touch of blue, just like the jade rocks I myself have seen. But what the heck? At least somewhere between Herbin's Vert Pré and Omas' Green. Best shading of all of these (IMO).

Need it!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have been considering trying this ink, and now I think I may order a sample as well and see if its good enough for a whole bottle. As you said the name is not really descriptive of what most would expect from a "Jade Green". This ink is definitely more "Lime" than "Jade", which rather than being an almost neon yellowish light green is more of a slightly blue mellow green. I could see Pelikan adding a "Jade Green" of a more appropriate colour for the name to their Edelstein collection, I would try that too!

But as I said, your review was good, and I am liking the colour itself more now, if not the name!

Gobblecup ~

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

Gobblecup, I am on the fence as to whether or not I will buy a whole bottle. I REALLY love this ink, but it does seem to be slightly on the impractical side. It doesn't bother me to read bright or light ink, but when I write my pen-pals, well, their eyes may suffer, lol. I wish there was a color that was, well, the same color but easier to read on paper. I should be able to try Kelly Green soon, and maybe that will do me just fine. I would also like to try Herbin Vert Pre.

I hate it when I love a color but it is just too light to be practical. (I'm sending the evil eye to PR Foam Green and Herbin Bouquet D'Antan right now!!!)

The Poor Connoisseurs

I am totally in love with Herbin vert olive. Is there a Diamine green that comes very close to this?

Can someone do a comparison as mentioned previously in the ink flesh?

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

I just posted some scans of Jade Green vs. Kelly Green. They can be found here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/180979-diamine-jade-green-vs-kelly-green/

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 2 weeks later...

thx for the review, shaylen.

i find it too light. i've yet to use it in a wetter nib, tho'!!

i do think the chartreuse color is awesome!!

I love this ink! It is hard on the eyes, especially on bright-white paper. I prefer to use it on ivory paper as it seems to be easier to read.