Conway Stewart In Administration

AltecGreen

This was posted in another pen board.

Looks like CS filed for administration earlier in the month.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Makers-163-10K-luxury-pen-administration/article-2810174-detail/article.html

Hopefully, they'll survive.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• michaelembley

• Ghost Plane

• Hugh200au

• Mary Burke

As the owner of 7 fine CS pens, I am truly saddened. I hope that they make it.

What really surprised me was the vitriol in the comments below, one stating that "he couldn't imagine paying that much for a pen...."

MD

Sad news.

The warning bells rang when they pulled-out of the London Show in October, during the week before the show, at which they usually have a high profile.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

This makes me sick. Aside from a couple of small issues which CS graciously resolved, I have had wonderful experiences with them. I hope they pull through. It would be such a shame to lose them.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

This is truly very sad news :(

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

this happened in October from the looks of it...i got a Happy New Year email today from CS with some details of an offer so clearly there is some life left.

I sincerely hope that this fine British Company makes it through.

Pens actually MADE in England is a real relief compared to some of the so called British/English watch companies for example...

Always difficult to trade on a history that you gained without earning it, the fact is no matter how good the pens now produced they had no link to vintage CSs...the real ones that is. I have strong views on the use of expired trademarks to gain a history that is not connected to the new entity. The venture was always a risky one, as now proven.

Regards

Hugh

Nonetheless a whole slew of companies do so quite well, in the watch world i can think of many that are resurrected "brands". "Swiss made" watches are often not quite what one might believe from that designation at all, at least CS are more honest in that regard.

rebuilding heritage is certainly tough no doubt about it but it is quite possible.

Nonetheless a whole slew of companies do so quite well, in the watch world i can think of many that are resurrected "brands". "Swiss made" watches are often not quite what one might believe from that designation at all, at least CS are more honest in that regard.

rebuilding heritage is certainly tough no doubt about it but it is quite possible.

While legally correct, ethically not. The modern CS was nor "rebuilding" heritage, simply acquiring a heritage through the use of an expired trademark.....a heritage in no way connected to the modern company. Very convenient really.

Regards

Hugh

Clearly an area in which you have strong views and that of course is your prerogative. The issue of what makes a "brand" a brand is complex and not one i know enough to talk about in detail. I suspect it's all rather subjective in the end. Is Rolls Royce still RR now it's owned by BMW? Mini? The list could be extended of course.

For myself I'm happy that CS was revived after it's demise in '75 and hope that it will not go under this time, i have had a number of dealings with them over the past few years and have found them to be really nice people to deal with.

I can see a number of areas in which they could have improved and perhaps done things differently from a business point of view and i think QC was one of those as well (though they are far from the only pen company i could refer to in this regard). Recent marketing activity seemed more innovative than in the past and i think that could be built upon effectively.

There is much that is good about CS as it is now, not least the people working there.

I hope it can be preserved.

Edited by michaelembley

It would be interesting to know the reasons for their failure: quality control, production costs, too many "yet another" limited editions, or UK payroll overheads. My bet's on the costs - reductions drive down quality, as anyone on the Strasbourg-Nice train last week would tell you (26 hours for 900 km).

FWIW, I don't think they'll be saved in their current form: they're more likely to become a badge in another company's range, the way Parker has become a division of Waterman and Sheaffer of Bic. As to where the pens will be made, I would guess China, but I wouldn't put money on it.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Whatever their status, I'll keep buying their pens as long as I can. They're wonderful :cloud9:

Well said :)

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

i wouldnt buy them if made in China...simple as that

what on earth would be the point

If the Swiss can retain a watch industry (though i'm well aware many of those companies are more or less SWATCH in disguise and some use CHinese parts...) then there is a way to retain some industry in the UK.

Sadly, the economic climate worldwide is not good and luxury goods will be amongst the first to suffer as people reduce their discretionary spend. It is a shame that yet another UK company fails, despite a good reputation built around its current product range, but as an accountant I would assume that increasing costs and slackening sales have conspired to close the doors. Unfortunately, the companies most likely to survive are those with a continuous history and/ or substantial financial backing.

Last but not least, perhaps a less expensive (austerity?) range should have been introduced to bring their products closer to the budget of most if only to prop up CS short term during the recession. Anyway, the original CS company covered most bases in terms of price.

Iechyd da pob Cymro