Noodler's Axmatoba (Russia Series)

The Classicist

The full review can be found below:

http://pennedhouse.blogspot.com/2010/12/ink-review-noodlers-russia-series.html

I experienced this ink to be only alright, because of how fast it dries (which has been a problem with other inks in the series). I really enjoyed writing with it though and it is certainly a light green that looks pretty darn good on the page. This picture makes the ink look grayer than it really is.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_K2KrModKgm0/TR0SvnzYa5I/AAAAAAAAAGU/tSZ9QQY_jC0/s1600/IMG_20101230_152233.jpg

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Classicist

• Thornton

• Signum1

• inkspot

Welcome to the ink review section!

That is an interesting feature (visible with black light) with this ink. The blue ghost ink may provide you with hours of creative writing. :)

Can you tell us if the ink is waterproof?

Very nice review. The color reminds me of the reformulated version of Victoria's Royal Mint from the British Eternal series.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Welcome to the ink review section!

That is an interesting feature (visible with black light) with this ink. The blue ghost ink may provide you with hours of creative writing. :)

Can you tell us if the ink is waterproof?

It is advertised as being eternal, so I'm guessing that it is waterproof, but I'll do some testing later today to find out for sure.

Very nice review. The color reminds me of the reformulated version of Victoria's Royal Mint from the British Eternal series.

Unfortunately, the combination of yellowy Moleskine paper and the poor quality of my camera, the ink came out much more gray than I was hoping. It's really a very bright ink that is very bright and cheery! (not that Royal Mint isn't)

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

What a lovely green! Thanks for the great review. There's something so refreshing and pleasing about a bright, lively ink. It looks lovely on the ivory paper.

I've heard some bad things about the Russian series concerning flow and behavioural characteristics in pens. Do you think you might be able to verify/refute these claims?

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

I really like some of the colors in the Russian series. However, I don't tend to use them often.

They all exhibit two common issues, only one of which I've been able to address:

1. Flow- generally very poor flow. A healthy dose of InkSafe does a great job improving flow with all the colors/ in all the pens I've tried.

2. bleeding/"absorption": It is pointless to try to get any line variation (or a XF or F line) using these inks sue to how severely they "bloom" onto/into the paper.

This problem is common in many of the bulletproof Noodlers Inks I've used, but the Russian inks seem to be worse still. It is like writing with a Sharpie.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I've noticed that the ink flows just fine. The problem is that the ink tends to dry out in the pen after a five minutes of sitting. With the cap on it still does this. I use a piston filler with this ink and just give it a slight twist and it wets the nib. Therefore, I don't have any problems with it.

In my experience though, the ink is fine as far as feathering goes, even on cheap papers. I managed to get a fine line with a Noodler's piston filler and Nib Creaper fountain pen as well.

I have yet to try other inks in the Russia Series, but this one was fine based on my use of it.