Noodler's Bad Green Gator Review

The Classicist

Posted my review here:

http://pennedhouse.blogspot.com/2010/12/ink-review-noodlers-bad-green-gator.html

Apparently when I was writing I experienced no feathering and as such my experience is completely different from everyone else. I used Noodler's Nib Creeper FP and Rhodia paper for this. Maybe I got a good batch of ink?

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Classicist

• Yoda4561

• Sassafras

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought this without reading reviews because I liked the color and the name and the forgery proof qualities of it. Also, as I am new to the FP world, I had no idea there were tons of reviews out there on ink in the first place!

I haven't really had a problem with it. The first time I used it, it was a bit feathery but it hasn't been since. I am using 72gr/m2 weight paper with it and a Platinum Preppy 0.3 and it's been just fine. The line is a bit thick for the pen overall I think, more so than the Heart Of Darkness I was using in the pen prior to the BGG, but it writes lovely and the color makes me happy. I don't much pay attention to nib creep, so to say I haven't really noticed any doesn't mean it's not happening.

Based on all the other reviews I've seen, I was starting to wonder if my batch was different, or if I was just ignorant of what a good ink is, and leaning towards the latter.

I may have worded my review of it a big strongly ;) I'm glad you found it works for you, I liked the color but it wasn't playing nice for me. It seems to be a very tempermental ink regarding what pens and paper it'll work with. It never quite gets so out of hand as to be unusable, but the fine but oddly distinctive and abundant feathering REALLY bothered me on most of the papers I tried it on.

Now, had I only tried it on my current favorite paper, a years old Ampad Greencycle that I can't get more of, I'd think it was great. Other than some checks I tried it on it's the only paper I own that it works well on.

I'll stand by my "if you're interested, buy a sample before a whole bottle" recommendation.

Edited by Yoda4561

Based on all the other reviews I've seen, I was starting to wonder if my batch was different, or if I was just ignorant of what a good ink is, and leaning towards the latter.

I've used good inks before. I do believe that I struck gold with this fountain pen and ink combination. Every fountain pen has its soulmate ink and this is one that is close to soulmate status at least. I don't exert much pressure on the paper, because that is why I switched from ballpoints (to avoid wrist issues later in life), but that would definitely be a reason why this feathers. As I have been using this ink more and more, I find that I like it more and more. So what if it is a little wet and creeps on the nib sometimes!

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!