Noodler's Zhivago Review

ThirdeYe

Hi all, this is my first ink review so be gentle on me. :) Any constructive criticism for my next review would be much appreciated. Also, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. This review can also be found on my blog: Derek's Pens and Pencils: Noodler's Zhivago Review

I ordered Noodler's Zhivago after wanting a dark, saturated green. I wanted to still be able to make out the green, though. I was slightly disappointed with the Zhivago as to me it looks just like a slightly less saturated black to me. The green is hardly noticeable at all, and isn't quite what I expected. The only time I notice the green is when I look at it in very bright light situations. In a regularly lit room, I cannot notice the green and all I see is black. I'm going to order Noodler's Green Marine in the near future and hopefully it will be more of what I'm looking for. Anyways, onto the review...

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9840/scan0002oz.jpg

An explanation of the water test:

The first sample was written, then passed over with a wet q-tip.

The second sample is just a control sample of ink that hasn't been in contact with water.

The third sample was first run under a faucet for about 15-20 seconds, then smudged with a q-tip afterwards.

Here is a close-up of a writing sample to try to better bring out the color:

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/9743/scan0003m.jpg

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThirdeYe

• WendyNC

• Gobblecup

• tnmike1

Derek, my old monitor is getting a little dim so I can't trust the colors I see on it, but you're not the first person to mention the lack of sufficient green. I may have the only bottle of really green Zhivago and, if that's so, I'll be disappointed when I crack into the next one.

Send me a PM with your snail mail address if you'd like to see how my Zhivago appears.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Derek, my old monitor is getting a little dim so I can't trust the colors I see on it, but you're not the first person to mention the lack of sufficient green. I may have the only bottle of really green Zhivago and, if that's so, I'll be disappointed when I crack into the next one.

Send me a PM with your snail mail address if you'd like to see how my Zhivago appears.

That's interesting. By the way, I don't have Zhivago. I still think it's interesting though. Do you use broad-ish nibs?

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Just remembered something-one thing which is helpful in a review is to know the paper the reviewer used. Thanks!

I mixed a little Zhivago with a cartridge of pale, worthless light blue and came up with the deepest, richest forest green I have ever written with. Unfortunately, it was a one-off and can never be repeated exactly. What a shame.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

That's interesting. By the way, I don't have Zhivago. I still think it's interesting though. Do you use broad-ish nibs?

No, I tend to the medium-ish, although I do have one of those which has been stubbed and is currently sporting Zhivago.

Just remembered something-one thing which is helpful in a review is to know the paper the reviewer used. Thanks!

I think I put it in there... let me check...

Yeah, I used standard 20lb. copy paper. I think it's HP brand, but it could be Office Depot's brand as well. Not sure what I have in the printer right now.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I have a color corrected monitor and I can see some green but it is not what I would call a saturated green. Of course on the smudge test you can see the green. I would almost call it a black/green.

This is off-topic, but I took the nerd test in your signature and got a rank of 76 "Mid-Level Nerd" Haha. I knew I was slightly nerdy, but not quite that much :P

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I have a color corrected monitor and I can see some green but it is not what I would call a saturated green. Of course on the smudge test you can see the green. I would almost call it a black/green.

I wanted a black/green but I wanted some shading so I could see the green more along with the contrast of the black. In person, I cannot see the green at all but when scanned or held under a brighter light source, I can see a faint green.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

Zhivago's green is very subtle in any nib narrower than a medium. Really only starts to show green when used in Broad or fat italic/stub nibs.

Edited by Yoda4561

In my limited experience, the colour one gets from Zhivago depends heavily on the pen (the wetter the pen, the darker to colour) and the paper (the nearer you get to Rhodia & Cf, the darker or more shaded the colour). Other Noodlers are similar, ie Red-Black, Air Corps Blue-Black and Midnight Blue. :bonk:

Zhivago's green is very subtle in any nib narrower than a medium. Really only starts to show green when used in Broad or fat italic/stub nibs.

I recently purchased Zhivago as I, too, have long searched for a very dark green.

When I first inked a pen, I used an EF. The ink color on paper was black with no visible hints of green. I was ready to give up and order something else (Noodlers Sequoia, Diamine Green Black?). I gave the Zhivago another try and inked a M. What a difference. Now I have the very dark, but obvious, green I was searching for.

As Yoda recommends, try out different nib sizes before you give up.

I recently purchased Zhivago as I, too, have long searched for a very dark green.

When I first inked a pen, I used an EF. The ink color on paper was black with no visible hints of green. I was ready to give up and order something else (Noodlers Sequoia, Diamine Green Black?). I gave the Zhivago another try and inked a M. What a difference. Now I have the very dark, but obvious, green I was searching for.

As Yoda recommends, try out different nib sizes before you give up.

Maybe I'll try it in my medium Plumix italic nib, that one I think would tend to show more shading than my 78G medium. I don't have anything larger than a medium nib, so I'll just have to make do. My Parker 45 Medium and my Platinum Preppy Medium both tend to be more broad than the 78G, so I'll consider using those as well.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I have the Noodler's Zhivago and, though I loved it at first, I too decided it was too black for me. It's a great color (though slow-drying) but it doesn't have that pop of green. I tried Diamine Green Black recently, and it does have the green tone that I really wanted. I still have the Zhivago, but it's been bumped down the favorite ink list a bit by the Diamine :)

Tamara

I also recently purchased a bottle of this ink, and though I'm enjoying it as is I would maybe prefer just a slightly lighter green shading. Has anyone had any success in diluting this ink to get it to be a shade lighter?

Enough of this chocolaty goodness, we've got work to do.

Recently I picked up a bottle of Noodler's Sequoia green. I love the color however, I think it is too green, I was looking for something darker. This might fit the bill!

Fast, Cheap, Good... you can choose two.

I just ordered a NOS Sheaffer calligraphy set on eBay so I'll be updating my review when I get it and try it in a broad italic nib. Perhaps then I'll be able to actually see the green. :)

Derek

Derek's Pens and Pencils