Sheaffer No-nonsense

Vargouille

A while ago, I purchased a different Sheaffer, an Imperial III, from terim, a very nice seller on eBay, and guess my surprise to see a free pen thrown in, with a Sheaffer cartridge! With soccer-ball print, no less.

Appearance (8/10)- It’s a Sheaffer No-Nonsense, with a screw-in black section, and a flat-top cap, which screws on, with the word “SHEAFFER” on the clip, which I find isn’t flexible enough for my tastes. Like I said earlier, it has a soccer-ball print on the plastic cap and body.

Quality (7/10)- This is by no stretch of the imagination an expensive pen, and it shows. Despite that, it still holds together well enough, with the possible exception of the cap band, which spins, and the little doohickey that goes into the top of the cap, which I believe fell out. Even if it didn’t, it looks like it did.

Weight and Dimensions (8/10)- The length of this pen is 5 3/16 inches capped, 4 13/16 inches uncapped, and roughly 6 inches posted. It is very light, due to the all plastic construction, and I can’t feel much of a difference in terms of balance between posted and not posted.

Nib (8/10)- It uses an open steel nib, with a medium-sized point, which it about the same size as a 1980-90‘s Sheaffer School Pen’s fine nib. It is fairly smooth, considering.

Filling System (6/10)- This pen uses the proprietary Sheaffer cartridge-converter system. Nothing more to say, really.

Cost and Value (10/10)- With a cost of nothing, this is the best value I could get unless I found a free Montblanc sitting in my doorway.

Conclusion (~8/10)- This is a good-enough pen, provided you can get it at a low enough price, although it will never be a daily writer for me.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vargouille

• rahulg

• lreiley

• Harlequin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got one of these free pens from Terim as well, but I have never used it, so your review is interesting. thank you.(I would happily give mine away if I could find someone who would like it.) :meow:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Nothing fell out at the cap, BUT there was an upscale version that did have a brass insert there. The NoNonsense pens were one of Sheaffers best ideas, a plain, simple workhorse pen that can be dressed up or down. A few version like the Guys & Dolls series even carried the famous white dot.

My Website

I'm not sure whose "nostalgia pen" came first, the NoNonsense or Parker's Big Red from the '70's, but the NoNonsense seems to be the one with the staying power. Mine (also a "freebie" from Terim) has a basketball motif. I haven't used that pen, but keep it as a future "giveaway" to someone who might want to try out a fountain pen. However, just a few days ago, I decided to try one of the Sheaffer Calligraphy pens that had been kicking around the house (Medium Italic nib). It was a surprisingly nice, smooth writer.

I think a lot of the Sheaffer steel nibs from this era (including the 330 I bought from Peyton Street Pens) are really great writers. A little on the "light" side, in terms of weight, but very good value for the money.

• 1 month later...

i love mine. i wish i can get more colors (not showing the solid red, the Soccer ball motif from Teri and other viewpoints red, blue, green and black, i also have).

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/nononsense-1.jpg

enjoy yours, Vargouille!

I have 3 NoNonsense pens, they are very good pens, especially considering two of them I got (with 6 assorted Italic nibs) for only $1.50 at a thrift store today, combined! I also have a NOS Calligraphy kit that I bought on eBay. I love the retro look.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• 4 weeks later...

how long did the plastic on urs last before tiny scratches and scuffs showed up? and is the plastic soft enough to be marked by a fingernail on the edges? im especially interested in the solid (incl transparent) colored ones, i already know the sports ones have shoddy plastic.

and which color looks best?

im thiniking of buying either the 3-pack of sports, or 1 or 2 of the solid colors.

the gold-plated ones seem to temp fate - scratches, anyone?

Edited by amyx231

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

I have a blue NoNonsense medium point fountain pen with a steel nib that I have had for 15 + years.

I have carried it around and used it without any special care and I see no scratches or marks.

It still works as well as it always did.

• 1 year later...

This my Nononsense directly from the year 1984, it is slightly worn on the cap, but it is working good without problems at these days. I use a converter instead of the cartridge, I hate cartridges.

post-88871-0-02545400-1353593692.jpg

I got hooked on NoNonsense pens by none other than Ward Dunham, the co-owner of Atelier Gargoyle, who claims that a finer writing inexpensive pen isn't to be had from any source. I love mine and use them everyday.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have around four NNs, and there would probably be more in the offing.

NN are a lot of pen for their money. Superbly balanced, light, smooth, fuss-free, and can be converted to ED with a bit of silicon grease. What more could you want?

Love 'em to bits.

Best,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com