Tightening A Loose Section - Best Way?

corniche

Greetings all,

I received my first Estie J the other day and I just love it. I'm already figuring on what color I'm going to get next. I do have one question; however, on the one I have now. The section is slightly loose; I'd like to tighten it a little, but I'm stuck on what would be the best way. Here are my existing options- if you have any thoughts on which would be best or if there are others- please lmk.

1. "Dorothy," aka Kathleen, suggested applying a coat of shellac, letting it dry and then reassemble.

2. "Scarecrow," aka Stephen, chimed in to clarify the shellac should only be applied to the section base and not on the barrel.

3. "Dimwit," aka me, had the idea of wrapping a short piece of Scotch or masking tape around the base of the section.

Things had been left up in the air, so I'm asking anyone and everyone for their thoughts. Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• kathleen

• Gobblecup

• watchin

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the shellac on the section. Let it dry first - then reassemble. You can apply as many coats as you need to make the section thicker.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Me... AKA: Nikko, the leader of the Winged Monkeys, thinks the masking tape to be both tacky and doubtful to provide lasting results without side effects.

Listen to Scarecrow and all should be well. :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

If you follow the yellow brick road back to Kansas it will be littered with empty shellac bottles.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Greetings all,

Thank you all for your sage advice. Just two more questions, if you please...

1. Is the 15cc bottle of Orange Shellac at Pendemonium for $5 the stuff I'm looking for?

2. What other tools, chemicals and book(s) should I have in my possession if I wanted to start learning to repair a fleet of Esties?

Thanks again,

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

I really can't speak with authority on which shellac is best.

You will need pure Talc.

A good supply of Ink sacs, #16 for most Esties. And most here prefer to use Latex over Silicone. These are, along with shellac, necessities!

Other things I would recommend:

A nice pair of section pliers, also known as "Spark plug pliers".

Some pure, plain old ammonia.

This stuff should keep you going for most Estie repair. But you could always have a J-Bar or two on hand, along with a selection of small tools to work with your pens, like thin tweezers and a barrel brush.

Gobblecup ~

You can trust Scarecrow, remember he was the one who already had a brain and only received the paper (diploma) that allowed others to recognize and trust in his wisdom.

I always trust Stephen's advise! and Todd, aka The Tin Man, remember the Tin Man had the heart, we all know how much Todd loves Esties he would never steer you wrong.

Dorothy knows there must be a way back to Kansas but she is not ready to leave just yet; there are so many friends to be made here.

Nikko, aka Jeffery, the Flying Monkeys scared the bee-zee-bees out of me until the Witch's Palace Guard handed Dorothy the witches broom commanding , "Hail to Dorothy, the wicked Witch is dead!! One more wonderful cast member accounted for, now who will be the Cowardly LIon? and do we have an Auntie Em ?

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

One more wonderful cast member accounted for, now who will be the Cowardly LIon? and do we have an Auntie Em ?

Greetings "Dorothy,"

I could be the cowardly lion; I purchased a completely restored Estie in the first place because I was fearful about the thought of restoring one myself. I was also leery of buying a sac pen in the first place; I've always used c/c pens or Pelikans. I'm still "afraid" of the thought of tackling a stubborn J-bar or replacing a sac... even though, just like the cowardly lion, deep down... the courage to tackle these obstacles was always there... down deep. :lol:

All the best,

Sean, aka, "The Cowardly Lion, pending"

PS: Feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves to find out if you have room for me as the "C.L."

I really can't speak with authority on which shellac is best.

You will need pure Talc.

A good supply of Ink sacs, #16 for most Esties. And most here prefer to use Latex over Silicone. These are, along with shellac, necessities!

Other things I would recommend:

A nice pair of section pliers, also known as "Spark plug pliers".

Some pure, plain old ammonia.

This stuff should keep you going for most Estie repair. But you could always have a J-Bar or two on hand, along with a selection of small tools to work with your pens, like thin tweezers and a barrel brush.

Hello Gobblecup,

Thanks for the input, this will get me off to a great start. Does the need for a nib knock-out block come up? I'm thinking probably not with Esterbrook's fabulous "Renew Point" nibs... but I could be wrong???

All the best,

(aka, the cowardly lion, pending) ;)

Sean, I think you are the perfect Cowardly Lion! You proceed cautiously. I did not ask near so many questions before I was pulling apart sections and barrels and cementing on sacs! But, as I recall it, I too was perplexed at the start. I was highly motivated and wanted to restore my late fathers pen. I considered sending it off for repair before Toto aka Bruce, Ocalaflguy, assured me I could do it myself with a few simple supplies. One successful resac and I was buying another Estie, and not long after, deep into Estie-land, wandering and crying for help! Luckily, I was not left long without expert advice. Rewind to my earliest posts on FPN. http://www.fountainp..._1#entry1621568 Toto, Scarecrow, Tin Man were quickly guiding me and I soon began to seek the Esties needing repair for the sheer joy of tinkering and the satisfaction that comes when you have brought a beautiful pen back to its purpose.

Knocking out nibs? Do you need a knock-out block? I have only needed to soak and unscrew nibs, but as always, your answer should come from others, Dorothy is never very sure.

Cowardly Lion, aka Sean, I am sure everything will be alright....."if ever a wonderful pen there was the Estie, the Estie is one because....

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

You can trust Scarecrow, remember he was the one who already had a brain and only received the paper (diploma) that allowed others to recognize and trust in his wisdom.

I always trust Stephen's advise! and Todd, aka The Tin Man, remember the Tin Man had the heart, we all know how much Todd loves Esties he would never steer you wrong.

Dorothy knows there must be a way back to Kansas but she is not ready to leave just yet; there are so many friends to be made here.

Nikko, aka Jeffery, the Flying Monkeys scared the bee-zee-bees out of me until the Witch's Palace Guard handed Dorothy the witches broom commanding , "Hail to Dorothy, the wicked Witch is dead!! One more wonderful cast member accounted for, now who will be the Cowardly LIon? and do we have an Auntie Em ?

The flying monkeys are really nice monkeys at heart, they were just under the witches spell! :blush:

I don't think one needs a knock out block with Esties. :thumbup:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I always trust Stephen's advice! and Todd, aka The Tin Man, remember the Tin Man had the heart, we all know how much Todd loves Esties he would never steer you wrong.

The flying monkeys are really nice monkeys at heart, they were just under the witches spell! :blush:

I don't think one needs a knock out block with Esties. :thumbup:

Yes, Jeff, the monkeys released from the witch's spell were really nice monkeys and I am sure they were repentant.

We still need a Glenda, the Good Witch of the North, (she was so pretty!) and we need an Emerald City Gatekeeper and a horse of a different color....oh, that reminds me the Esties have so many pretty colors, I think I will skip on over to ebay and see what's selling.

Edited by kathleen

Just a simple caveat on the 'spark plug wire pullers' tool (aka: section pliers). I have two pair, one to hold the barrel, one to hold the section. Yes, they do offer you a good grip but the downside is they also allow you to crush said barrel or nib without much muscle. I prefer to use my thumbs to push the section up and out of an Estie barrel. I have never broken or chipped a section or barrel with my bare hands and fingers. I have crushed old brittle hard rubber sections (with the nibs in them) using the pliers. They just don't allow me to feel how much pressure I am applying. Heating the barrel and using your thumbs is the safest way to go.

BTW, both of the sections I broke were from mid-thirties Dollars (oh...the horror!). I have since fitted both with new sections and they are totally restored and very happy.

Orange shellac is the stuff for building up sections, fine sandpaper is the stuff for making them smaller (sections can vary so much in size from one pen to another).

Pulling a J (pressure) bar can be accomplished with long nose hemostats or long needle nose pliers or even home made tools (like a piece of hanger wire). I have never used a sac stretcher since the right sac slides on the nipple pretty nicely with the lubrication supplied by the shellac. The clear plastic sac tray in the J size pens is not absolutely necessary but I usually leave them in place (funny how I have some lying in my parts box though). #16 sacs seem to work in all Esties I have.

Excellent advice here on FPN. If someone here hasn't done it, it probably has not been done or can't be done.

-William-

Just a simple caveat on the 'spark plug wire pullers' tool (aka: section pliers). I have two pair, one to hold the barrel, one to hold the section. Yes, they do offer you a good grip but the downside is they also allow you to crush said barrel or nib without much muscle. I prefer to use my thumbs to push the section up and out of an Estie barrel. I have never broken or chipped a section or barrel with my bare hands and fingers. I have crushed old brittle hard rubber sections (with the nibs in them) using the pliers. They just don't allow me to feel how much pressure I am applying. Heating the barrel and using your thumbs is the safest way to go.

BTW, both of the sections I broke were from mid-thirties Dollars (oh...the horror!). I have since fitted both with new sections and they are totally restored and very happy.

Orange shellac is the stuff for building up sections, fine sandpaper is the stuff for making them smaller (sections can vary so much in size from one pen to another).

Pulling a J (pressure) bar can be accomplished with long nose hemostats or long needle nose pliers or even home made tools (like a piece of hanger wire). I have never used a sac stretcher since the right sac slides on the nipple pretty nicely with the lubrication supplied by the shellac. The clear plastic sac tray in the J size pens is not absolutely necessary but I usually leave them in place (funny how I have some lying in my parts box though). #16 sacs seem to work in all Esties I have.

Excellent advice here on FPN. If someone here hasn't done it, it probably has not been done or can't be done.

-William-

William, How tall are you? Could you be our Mayor of the Munchkins or our Emerald City Gatekeeper? You give great advice, you might be a stand-in if we double cast the part of Scarecrow.

I am not in favor of section pliers, Its too easy to use too much pressure, even when using just your hands you must be careful how much pressure you apply. Warming and patience are the surest way to gain separation of section and barrel without damage. I keep reminding myself I am operating on a 60+ year old patient, be firm but gentle. Stephen advised me, when I started out that a chopstick or blunt wooden stick of similar size is very handy for poking into barrels and pushing into place J bars. I think Bruce likes a particular stick that is meant for stirring coffee. I would add to the list of must have tools, a powerful light, such as the Fenix, suggested by Bruce. It really helps when you are peering into a barrel to check out sac removal, or the condition of the J bar, if I see a shiny J bar, if I don't see rust, I leave the J bar in place.

Greetings all,

I'm pressed for time... but thank you all for your input and advice. I'll be back when I have more time.

All the best & God bless,

aka The Cowardly Lion of Estie-land. ;)

Greetings all,

After reading your replies and subsequent due deliberation; I have come to the following conclusions:

1. I am going to buy a copy of Esterbrook Pens and a copy of the "Da Book" by the late Frank Dubeil.

2. I am going to lay in a supply of pure talc, orange shellac, #16 sacs, long tweezers and an alligator clamp.

3. Two spare J-bars if I can find a source for them.

4. Wooden coffee sticks to push the J-bars into place.

5. Bottle of clear ammonia.

After reading watchin's post, I think I will hold off on the section pliers until I see how well I can fare with my own hands. A handful of these items I already have, the other things I still have to procure. I'm thinking of Pendemonium and Esterbrook.net as sources.

I think that covers it, if I'm getting more than I need, or am missing something, please lmk. Thanks again for your help.

All the best & God bless,

aka, The Cowardly Lion of Estie-Land, (aka, The Cautious Lion of Estie-Land). ;)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

In the sections that I have removed, running warm water over the section worked best. I have section pliers (spark plug pliers) but I haven't used them yet and hopefully will never have to.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to putting the ink sac on the section nibble so I spent $5 dollars on an ink sac spreader from http://www.pendemonium.com/penrepair.htm. Blunt tweezers to spread the sac over the nibble will also work. This is way easier for me than trying to spread the sac without any tool to assist.

I purchase extra J Bars from: http://www.woodbin.ca/index.html

I also use this selection of picks and hooks from: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=refp.htm

Working on Easterbrooks is extremely simple and fun. The only Esterbrooks I will buy are non-restored. Based on my limited experience, it's really worth it to try and restore them yourself, you'll save quite a bit of money vs. purchasing restored pens.

Hope this helps.

Bill

All good advice, and I, too, would much rather buy a non-restored Estie because re-saccing and cleaning is half the fun.

- Pendemonium and David Nishimura are my favorites for ordinary repair suppplies.

- I like the Pendemonium shellac because it comes with a nice brush. Always store the shellac bottle in a sealed baggie. I forgot to tighten a cap down properly and you can imagine the resulting mess in my pen-box!

- Buy "talc", which is definitely not "talcum powder"

- I've had good results after soaking the nib/section in tap-hot water. Not boiling water...never boiling water or anything too hot. My observation: Esterbrook material is stronger than sellac, so it only takes a little soaking to soften enough to get a section off.

- I use two section pliers: one is a classy high-leverage set that I use on the barrel. The other is a simple pair of pliers with rubber-covered grippers. I hold the barrel steady, then wiggle the section with the simpler pliers.

- I use sac-spreaders. Real professionals scorn sac-spreaders, but I like them.

- Work slowly and patiently. Ron Zorn works high-speed, while telling jokes and hardly looking at a pen when he re-sacs it. However, Ron is like a major league baseball All-Star. I'm just a weekend softball player.

- Again: after working on a couple of Esterbrooks and a few 3rd-tier pens, I am more an more impressed with the material and the internal design of the Esterbrook. I only wish more of the old pens had adopted the Estie srew-in nib.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I ordered allot of my supplies from the wood bin, they ship amazingly fast from Canada to Texas, three days or so. Richard Binder seems like the best supplier for books like "Da Book", etc.

Happy repairing!

Gobblecup ~

Hello Bill, John & Gobblecup, (Nikko),

Thanks for the advice and the input- it is appreciated. That woodbin looks like a great site- very complete.

All the best,

TCL of Estie-Land

Edited by S. P. Colfer