Sailor 1911 Realo

saltypete

I was chuffed with how warmly my first review (of the Visconti HS) was received here by the good folks of FPN. Thus I am having another go, this time reviewing my latest aquisition, a Sailor 1911 Realo with a bold nib.

I purchased this pen from Pengallery in Malaysia during their Christmas sale. It was not cheap ($277 USD) but the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment and considering what I payed for my HS, I wouldn't class this pen as expensive.

What attracted me to the pen was the fact that it is a piston filler. I really like the piston filling method, I certainly prefer it over the cartridge/converter system and I also favour it over Visconti's power fill.

Now to the pen. It comes presented in a very uninspiring Sailor box that is identical to those of Waterman and Parker, save for the logo on the top.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911008.jpg

However, when one opens the box, you are greeted with a pen that I can safely describe as extremely attractive. It has nice curves, the gold furniture shines brightly and is offset by the glimmering black body, which according to Sailor's webiste is made from PMMA resin.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911010.jpg

The pen is on the larger side, about the same size as a Pelikan M800 which I have used in my photos as a comparison. It is far lighter than the Pelikan though and I can only assume this is because the Pelikan uses a brass piston set up.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911024.jpg

When the pen is posted, it comes in a little shorter than the Pelikan. I have a big hand and when I post this pen it feels just right. Its is well balanced and easy to grip. The thread for the cap sits comfortably above my grip. Unposted, the pen feels far too small and light but this may suit smaller hands.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911028.jpg

Filling the pen is very easy, no different to filling a Pelikan or a Lamy 2000. It has a clear ink window just above the cap line and it is very easy to see the ink level inside. I can't comment on ink capacity as I'm on my first fill but I think it will be enough for my needs.

So how does it write? I filled the pen with Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku and off I went. The nib is made from 21k gold and is, in my opinion, quite stiff. Certainly no semi flex here. Having said that, it requires no pressure to write with, and produces a line which is neither to dry nor too wet. It's not buttery smooth like the Dreamtouch nib on my Homo Sapiens and is quite tactile, providing the writer with a fair amount of feedback. I find it very nice to write with and overall am very happy with this pen.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911031.jpg

I have included a writing sample for which I used a page from my Clairefontaine notebook. Please be gentle with me as my handwriting is average at best.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/tooflogged/SailorRealo1911007.jpg

Bottom Line: I like this pen. It is aesthetically pleasing. I like the piston fill system. It is comfortable in the hand and writes very well. If you are not a fan of stiffer nibs or like to really press down on your pen, it may not be for you, but I can see myself enjoying the Sailor 1911 Realo for a long time to come.

Pete

My Pens: Visconti Homo Sapiens M, Pelikan M800 F, Sailor 1911 Realo B, Lamy 2000 M,Conway Stewart 28 M,1946 Parker Duofold M,Waterman Carene F, Waterman Expert F, Parker IM F

My Inks: Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo, Iroshizuku Ku Jaku, Iroshizuku Shin Ryoku, Iroshizuku Tsyu Kusa, Visconti Blue, Stipula Calamo, Pelikan Black

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian

• Jwolf24601

• saltypete

• revbyrd1

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

Thank you for the review. I am most grateful for the size comparison pictures.

I have a Sailor Pro Gear Realo and have been very pleased with it. I like the size of the 1911 better and hope to acquire one.

Peace,

Kenny

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

Nice review, thanks. I have one with a medium nib and it is indeed a good, solid pen.

As you noted, the pen is short for those of us who prefer to write unposted. It measures 120mm from tip of nib to end of barrel, which is even a little shorter than a Pelikan M600.

Great pictures and review. This is the second Realo review I've read in this forum and made me already hooked to the pen. I was browsing over PenGallery as well but totally forgot to check out the pen when I was at their shopfront retail last month. Love that nib.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

I was chuffed with how warmly my first review (of the Visconti HS) was received here by the good folks of FPN. Thus I am having another go, this time reviewing my latest aquisition, a Sailor 1911 Realo with a bold nib.

Pete, Thank you for such an intelligent review. I also agree with another FPN member that the comparison with the Pelikan M800 is very helpful. I own one of these terrific Sailor pens, and I also have an older 14K nibbed Profit which is very nice, but the inclusion of a piston filler makes this series so much better.

BTW, one additional feature of this model is the spring-loaded inner cap that, I believe, protects the nib. One can hear the spring when screwing on the cap. A similar-type of inner cap can actually be seen on the inexpensive Platinum Preppy.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

I wish they made this pen with Rhodium plating, would be perfect for me.

Joshua

Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery: "I neither drink nor smoke and am a hundred percent fit"

Winston Churchill: "I drink and smoke and I am two hundred percent fit."

Nice review Salty. I especially like the comparison to the M800 as I was curious as to how it compared in size. I agree with one of the posters that a rhodium trimmed model would be very nice and hope that in a short time Sailor will offer it that way.