Noodler's Flex Pen

shaylenwilliams

I reviewed this on my blog (which is HERE), and did both the Flex pen and Black Swan in Australian Roses in one post. I will separate them here at FPN, but you can view it all together at the link.

Well I can honestly say that I am thrilled with the new Noodler's Flex Nib Pen. The first time I filled it, I put the newest ink offering from Noodler's, Black Swan in Australian Roses in. Using this pen to the maximum potential took some getting used to, but WOW! I still cannot say that I know what I am doing, but the learning curve with this pen isn't bad at all. This is the first time I have ever used a flex nib, and the experience has been more than rewarding.

I wrote my review the first night I had the pen, so it is not the greatest representation of what this pen is capable of. On the other hand, I feel like this pen is kind of intended for folks who don't have a lot of experience with Flex pens, so an honest portrayal of what things are like starting out is fitting. I wasn't sure if I would like a flex nib or not. I did not want to have to alter my writing to fit one pen. I do feel that this pen can be used reasonably without having to slow down so much that it makes letter-writing or journaling a pain. When you do slow down though, oh my! The line variation between flexed and un-flexed just looks outstanding. While we here at The Poor Connoisseurs are indeed poor, I didn't feel too terrible chancing $14 on a pen I wasn't sure if I would like. Having tried it now, $14 is an ABSOLUTE STEAL! This has pretty much become my favorite pen, although my dear Sheaffer is still amazing. People seem to either love this pen or are completely unimpressed. Count me in with the former crowd. The nib does give a "rail roading" effect when it is fully flexed and moves too quickly. As I have learned to use it more, this has lessened, but I don't really mind it, and I think the effect looks cool.

The Flex pen is a piston filler, and it was also my first experience with that type of filling system. I was quite content with my cartridge/converter fill pens, because they are easy to refill and clean using the Private Reserve Syringe kit. I was not looking forward to empty/fill with water/rinse/repeat schtick to clean this Noodler's pen. I did my first routine last night, and I was pleasantly surprised! The pen came clean without too much hassle, and the nib and feed were also very easy to remove, which sped things along nicely.

I have since refilled with J. Herbin 1670, and that ink looks stunning as well. I did have a problem starting it up today, so how big of an issue that is remains to be seen. I never had a problem with Black Swan.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TQkt7pn8WNI/AAAAAAAAAGo/mJIP1LZnXcs/s1600/NoodlersFlexandBlackSwan.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TQkuK0q1uoI/AAAAAAAAAGs/ifbomx9Tavc/s1600/Flexnibtrial2.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/Herbin1670inFlexy.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• linearM

• jniforat

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

beautiful handwriting! i used one today that a friend of mine bought, and my handwriting looks awful with it :( but it sure is fun!

Shaylen,

Welcome to the wonderful world of flex nibs! I'm thinking of a Noodler's flex for an everyday pen so I can leave my vintage flex pens at home. Thanks for the review.

Shaylen,

Welcome to the wonderful world of flex nibs! I'm thinking of a Noodler's flex for an everyday pen so I can leave my vintage flex pens at home. Thanks for the review.

Yeah, until I picked one of these up, a "cheap" flex nib pen usually meant a $30 vintage pen, usually with a fairly worn or discolored barrel, loose clip, etc. The Noodler's doesn't quite match those pens for flex, but the price makes it such a value that it can be thrown into a travel kit without a second thought.

I think this pen is a great option, and even more for those who are flex-hesitant like I was. Since it isn't quite as flexy as other pens, it is a really good introduction.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Shaylen,

Yeah, until I picked one of these up, a "cheap" flex nib pen usually meant a $30 vintage pen, usually with a fairly worn or discolored barrel, loose clip, etc. The Noodler's doesn't quite match those pens for flex, but the price makes it such a value that it can be thrown into a travel kit without a second thought.

I don't have any vintage flexes, but my only other flex nib is a Mottishawed Falcon. I totally feel what you guys are saying. This Noodler's Pen is now my daily, go anywhere, don't worry about losing/damage, beater pen. I love it! Especially when you consider cost.

...now if Noodler's put that nib into the the Nib Creaper body...... :puddle:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Your handwriting is beautiful and the results from the flex pen is fantastic! Thank you for the review, I'm considering of a flex pen as well and this seems like a good start :)

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Your handwriting is beautiful and the results from the flex pen is fantastic! Thank you for the review, I'm considering of a flex pen as well and this seems like a good start :)

Thank you, but the credit all goes to the pen! I think this pen is a great place to start flexing!

The Poor Connoisseurs