Conklin Endura - New Model

ondine

Introduction

I'm from Ohio and lived in Toledo for 3 years, so I have a connection with the Conklin brand. My first vintage FP was a Conklin Crescent.

1. Appearance & Design (7)

Looks like a nice pen. Nice coloration, depth. Nicely finished for the price. Nib is nicely finished as well and smooth. Threads on barrel are fine but need some lubrication to screw smoothly - well it is smooth, just smoother. Clip is nice and secure. I like how they kept the protruding spring design of the old Conklins. The inner and outer boxes the pens come in are quite nice, present well.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5711.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5705.jpg

2. Construction & Quality (6)

Feels a tad cheap but it's not an expensive pen. The silver stripes on top are painted. The gold colored crescent (on cap above clip) is glue or something with glitter in it. Otherwise, it's solid and functional - not going to fall apart in the foreseeable future. BP is twist activated - works smoothly. Honestly, I like a less expensive pen to cram into my pocket and not worry about it. I'm usually in a hurry to get to work.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5706.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5708.jpg

3. Weight & Dimensions (7)

FP is lightweight but fine. BP is just right. Diameter (tapering from 1/2 inch) is a bit large for small hands, fine for average to large hands. Both pens are 5 3/4 inches long.

4. Nib & Performance (7)

Nib is steel, Broad nib which is close to a Medium for most other manufacturers. On first fill, it skipped a bit, not badly but some. I rinsed it with soapy water a few times and clean water afterwards, refilled with Waterman Blue and it's been great since - nice wet writer but not too wet. Nib has a bit of spring to it, allowing some line variation. I don't mind pushing a little on a less expensive pen like this one ;) Nib is probably the most finished part of the pen. Looks nice. Not sure why it says Toledo USA on it as I highly doubt it was made there.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5704.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5709.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance (6)

It's a cartridge/converter. Converter was supplied with 2 cartridges. Works fine.

6. Cost & Value (9)

Bought online over Thanksgiving (sale) for $59 (set, shipping included) from Colorado Pen Direct. Shipped quickly, nicely packaged. Really, I just wanted a BP as it takes a Parker gel refill, which is my preferred refill. The supplied BP refill (labeled Conklin) was actually very nice and it is still in the pen. I got the set as the FP wasn't much more.

7. Conclusion (Final score, 42/60)

This is a daily writer for me. I really like the coloration of the grey. I don't like taking MB's, Pelikans, Duofolds etc to work, so this set fits that role. For the price paid, great deal: runs good, looks nice.

I'm a teacher and don't mind letting the kids try out this 'olden days' pen (their words). Doing my part to keep fountain pens alive.

I'd read complaints about the new Conklins so I was hesitant. I guess Yafa now distributes these and have taken care of the problems from my experience. I'm happy with the set: excellent value, solid performance, unique look, attractive coloration.

Thanks for reading. Sorry about my photo focus - I have a stack of books I'm itching to get to here.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/sbkrame/IMG_5712.jpg

Edited by ondine

That's my great great uncle Charlie and his merchandise.

Ondine was my beloved childhood cat, with one eye blue, the other green, named for the Debussy Prelude.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• ondine

• akrishna59

• ThirdeYe

the best part of your review that i liked, apart from the well written description of the pen, is your efforts in getting your students interested in fps. as a teacher you are in a much more venerated position than any others to pass on the legacy to the new generation, hard as it may be.

best regards sir,

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Every review I see for this pen the more tempted I am to buy one, especially at that price. If it wasn't c/c I'd have one already. :thumbup:

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I'd been seeing these pens in various catalogs and websites for a while, and thought they looked interesting -- a decent enough deal, I reckoned -- but they didn't really fit into my pen collecting plans. I had bigger fish to fry.

And then. . . Then CPD put them on sale for the holidays, nearly giving them away. And then this mostly-positive review pops up. What, am I made of stone? I gave in, I'm getting one. :rolleyes:

Mine just arrived this morning, so here are a few quick observations. . .

It's faceted! I don't know exactly how, but somehow this feature had escaped me. It doesn't show up well in photos. The pen body and cap are 12-sided. That's cool, and it'll be somewhat less likely to roll off a desk.

The depth and translucency of the flake-patterned plastic is surprisingly rich and interesting to gaze upon. I got the gray one too, because the other available colors looked a bit too much like angry fruit salad. I'm not fond of Hawaiian shirts either.

I agree the crescent-shaped maker's mark formed from golden glitter is painfully tacky. It looks like they ran out of the proper parts and had some first graders do this as a substitute.

The converter it comes with is pretty cheap -- not surprising since they're almost giving these pens away. It looks like a Waterman or a Schmidt K5 converter will fit, and either should make a nice upgrade.

It comes with the typically huge display box that so many pens have these days. They're designed to make the pen look precious in a display case -- and crowd out competing pens, I suppose. I have a strong dislike for the big box, which is nothing but a nuisance for me to store if I decide to save it. I can't single out Conklin too much, though, as nearly all the major brands have gone this way.

EDIT: And yes, it is a large pen. Much like my TWSBI, it just barely will squeeze into my Mignon carry case, and is pushing the upper boundary of what I'd care to carry around as a daily user.

Edited by tonybelding

Thanks for the review-nice to know about an inexpensive pen that does the job. I have a Conklin I bought on closeout and love it as an everyday pen.

Every review I see for this pen the more tempted I am to buy one, especially at that price. If it wasn't c/c I'd have one already. :thumbup:

I bought one in Patriot Red from Colorado Pen myself. The price was terrific and I love the pen! Good size for my hands and a nice writer. I have it inked up with Noodler's Lexington Grey. If you want one of these, I'd say go for it.

Can anyone post some comparative size photos alongside another pen or two?

Like Ondine, I lived in Toledo, too - ten years for me. I may have to try one, for the old Toledo connection if for no other reason, though I realize that connection is long in the past. I never realized Conklins were available at such a low price. Bet my son, who is a lawyer with a passion for Ohio history, might enjoy one too.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/conklin_endura_1.jpg

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/conklin_endura_2.jpg

Snorkel, new Endura, Safari, Parker 45

Just bought one at Colorado Pens for $35.00 delivered, last night.

They are down to just the red mixed color and fine nib, but how can you go wrong for $35??

Just bought one at Colorado Pens for $35.00 delivered, last night.

They are down to just the red mixed color and fine nib, but how can you go wrong for $35??

That's a great deal, it's out of stock now. :(

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)