ImolaS3

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:56

Thanks Ukedan, good link

I think the nib on mine is just too stiff and having to press so hard is spoiling the experience. I'll play with it over the Christmas break of course and maybe extending it by a couple of mm as suggested in the thread wilkl help 'lighten' it :)

Merry Christmas
Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk
Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.
10% discount for FPN members

#62 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:33

I've gotten to the point now where I feel alot more comfortable with them. Using the flex for addresses and occasional embellishments and then using it like a normal pen with some nice XF to Medium variation when writing seems to be what works the best. Copperplate for a page or two is also doable as long as you don't try and stretch it out too far.

When I first got it I was a bit worried that flex nibs just weren't for me, in truth it was just that my expectations were out of line with the real capabilities of the pen, it's not something you're gonna write page after page of fine calligraphy with, but does give excellent line variation on a day to day basis which IMO is more natural and pleasing to the eye than a stub italic type. It is however harder to use when you want lots and lots of consistent line variation.

Comments from others who own some vintage fountain pens with flex nibs seem to put these noodler's in the middle range of flexibility, not approaching the really soft and wet-noodle ones but not too far off what an average flex nib was capable of. I really enjoy taking it all the way out though, so I'm gonna give dip pens a try with some Hunt 101 nibs which I'm told are about as flexible as you can get and still actually write with.

#63 kcunvong

kcunvong

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 20:34

Wow! I just opened up my Christmas present: a Noodler's Flex pen, demonstrator! This nib is insane. I can give my Skylines a break now. Just look at the length of the tines! They go all the way into the base of the pen's body. The flex is amazing! I don't have a ruler with me, but it easily goes from xxf to bbb, at LEAST. I can't wait to go to work to test this guy out. I've never been a fan of demonstrators, but I think I may have just changed my mind. I have to admit, the finish is a bit strange. Maybe some sort of soft acrylic? Brillant pen, otherwise. Currently testing it out with PR Sonic Blue.

The Redlands Pen Company

I am also on eBay

#64 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 22:47

Wow! I just opened up my Christmas present: a Noodler's Flex pen, demonstrator! This nib is insane. I can give my Skylines a break now. Just look at the length of the tines! They go all the way into the base of the pen's body. The flex is amazing! I don't have a ruler with me, but it easily goes from xxf to bbb, at LEAST. I can't wait to go to work to test this guy out. I've never been a fan of demonstrators, but I think I may have just changed my mind. I have to admit, the finish is a bit strange. Maybe some sort of soft acrylic? Brillant pen, otherwise. Currently testing it out with PR Sonic Blue.

They're made of a type of Vegetal Resin, just not quite as high grade as some fancy pens and with a low quality of final polishing. There's no "finish" applied to the pen, I think they're just given a quick machine buff. From what I gather it's kinda similar to celluloid chemically, but with higher stability/chemical resistance and not capable of producing the vivid coloration celluloid can. I'm tempted to give my demo a 2000 grit sand and buff to see what the plastic is capable of.

Edited by Yoda4561, 25 December 2010 - 22:48.

#65 kcunvong

kcunvong

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 23:23

Hmmm, 2000 grit, huh. I'll have to look into that. Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the scratches already on the pen. Will it yellow with age?

The Redlands Pen Company

I am also on eBay

#66 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 23:29

Hmmm, 2000 grit, huh. I'll have to look into that. Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the scratches already on the pen. Will it yellow with age?

I'd wager it will, here's hoping the bodies last long enough to find out. :)

#67 eds

eds

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 23:56

I seem to recall gouletpens giving away something like noodler's ebonite flex - where the flex nib is just transferred to the ebonite pen. Anybody think it's worth a try?

#68 Hangglidernerd

Hangglidernerd

Retro-grouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 00:45

I seem to recall gouletpens giving away something like noodler's ebonite flex - where the flex nib is just transferred to the ebonite pen. Anybody think it's worth a try?

I'm just waiting on the mail.

#69 kcunvong

kcunvong

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:30

After a day of evaluating this pen, I've concluded that it drinks ink like... a fish... submerged in ink. Perhaps the pen should have been larger to hold more ink. The nib is really sweet, athough I wish it were 14K, rather than steel. Alas, I am probably wishing it were another pen entirely. I'm amazed, however, at the amount of flex this pen can handle. It is almost a near wet noodle Even under great pressure, and with the tines competely spread apart, ink will continue to flow through in copious amounts. With slow writing in this state, there is still no "railroading."

The Redlands Pen Company

I am also on eBay

#70 Senate1123

Senate1123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:59

i do know that the flex nib fits into the nib creaper. the only problem is that the nib doesn't seat as far enough since i used the nib creapers feed. it'll write but it's rather prone to railroading. i'm thinking of modifying the flex nib's feed to fit into the nib creaper.

on a slightly separate note, i think the consistency between flex nibs are different. i have a demo version and a red/green version and for sure the red/green is much easier to flex. my demo version requires considerably more pressure to split the tines.
Posted Image

#71 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:14

I have been enjoying the Flex nib for a couple of weeks now. Mine has been great, it goes from really fine to super thick with reasonable speed and minimal pressure. I am looking forward to the music nib pen coming in the future! :vbg:
Gobblecup ~

#72 Hangglidernerd

Hangglidernerd

Retro-grouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 19:39

It's here...Now I get to go play with it at work.

#73 Hangglidernerd

Hangglidernerd

Retro-grouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:00

I've posted a little review in the reviews.....here's a preview...I like it.

#74 rikki

rikki

Vulgar Materialist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:45

Nathan seems to have revealed a number of the future colors for this pen in a video on his YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVXYsZ476w

The video's prime purpose is to announce his art contest and go through all the pens the first prize winner will receive...but it also shows a number of pens that have not yet been released.

Starting at around the 6 minute mark, Nathan starts talking about the flex pens—first the clear demo and the December 25th everyone's familiar with, then five other pens that they're grouped with.

In order, from right to left:
  • "Lapis Inferno" (blue with white swirls)
  • "Vulcan's Coral" (burgundy with white swirls)
  • "Ivory Darkness" (black with white swirls)
  • "Cardinal Darkness" (red with black swirls)
  • "Poltergeist Pumpkin" (orange with black swirls)
...Furthermore!

The "Ivory Darkness" is featured in a video posted later the same day (December 30th). In its description, Nathan writes:

This pen will be available in limited numbers within the next two weeks. We will not have more for some time after that period and will instead issue a different pen with the Noodler's flex nib when these sell out.

So those who are interested in a specific color may want to keep their ears to the ground, lest they miss out and have to wait until some undetermined future date...
keeping an eye out for: a vintage ED with a battered body but a superflex+ nib...and more M640s. ;)

#75 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 00:19

Awesome! Thank you for posting this rikki!
Gobblecup ~

#76 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:44

In that video... was that Nathan speaking? Is he the one who designed and built that prototype precious metal pen? (wow... very very nice)
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#77 rikki

rikki

Vulgar Materialist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:03

You're welcome, Gobblecup.

In that video... was that Nathan speaking? Is he the one who designed and built that prototype precious metal pen?

Yes, and yes.
keeping an eye out for: a vintage ED with a battered body but a superflex+ nib...and more M640s. ;)

#78 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:04

Bet Watch_art wins...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#79 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:50

Bet Watch_art wins...

:glare:.......:crybaby:
Gobblecup ~

#80 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:22

Nathan seems to have revealed a number of the future colors for this pen in a video on his YouTube channel.

The video's prime purpose is to announce his art contest and go through all the pens the first prize winner will receive...but it also shows a number of pens that have not yet been released.

Starting at around the 6 minute mark, Nathan starts talking about the flex pens—first the clear demo and the December 25th everyone's familiar with, then five other pens that they're grouped with.

...Furthermore!

The "Ivory Darkness" is featured in a video posted later the same day (December 30th). In its description, Nathan writes:

This pen will be available in limited numbers within the next two weeks. We will not have more for some time after that period and will instead issue a different pen with the Noodler's flex nib when these sell out.

So those who are interested in a specific color may want to keep their ears to the ground, lest they miss out and have to wait until some undetermined future date...

Does anyone have any clue as to when we could see the other colors? I am particularly thinking about the pumpkin. I don't want that to be hidden until October 2011, but I also don't want to purchase another color just because it is currently out. Brilliant marketing!

#81 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:27

...Furthermore!

Does anyone have any clue as to when we could see the other colors? I am particularly thinking about the pumpkin. I don't want that to be hidden until October 2011, but I also don't want to purchase another color just because it is currently out. Brilliant marketing!

I want to know when Cardinal Darkness is coming out. As someone who prefers higher end pens, I actually like the Noodler's piston fillers. I have one with blue with the original non-flex nib and a clear demo with a flex nib. Aside from dry-out issues caused by the breather hole in the cap, I'm quite happy with them. Nice to find an inexpensive pen with a screw on cap as opposed to a snap or slip cap.
Posted Image"Instant Gratification Takes Too Long."-Carrie Fisher

#82 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:57

Bet Watch_art wins...

:glare:.......:crybaby:

WHAT? Wins what? I didn't even know there was a contest! :headsmack:
I guess I'll have to look into that.

edit: (and thanks spitfire!)

Edited by watch_art, 17 January 2011 - 03:18.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#83 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• 14,566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:17

Okay, I had a pretty cool idea while watching that video...
only thing is I don't have a Noodler's fountain pen. Lots of ink, no pen.
Anybody wanna donate one for the project and I'll send it back when I'm done?

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#84 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:50

Okay, I had a pretty cool idea while watching that video...
only thing is I don't have a Noodler's fountain pen. Lots of ink, no pen.
Anybody wanna donate one for the project and I'll send it back when I'm done?

You mean we could both win!?! :eureka:

Give me a PM, I have a flex creaper demo! :thumbup:
Gobblecup ~

#85 KCat

KCat

Honorary Administrator

• Admin Hon.

• 10,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 17:08

I was significantly disappointed with the "flex" - my VPs have more flex. I've tossed it in a box or drawer somewhere - can't even find it that's how little it impressed me. Only got it a couple of weeks ago and have misplaced it after a few minutes test drive. Maybe I got a bad one. I keep looking at my 9128 nibs and wondering why is this so hard to duplicate? It's just a steel nib with long, thin tines. Nothing fancy, no glorious feed that requires lots of excessive flow. Just a plain ol' Extie screw-in feed with collar that just happens to spread open beautifully and give me beautiful variation. And my VPs? Explain their impressive springy-ness which is just as good as my Falcon - albeit for a shorter distance. Got nothing like that with the Noodlers. Oh, it will spread wide - if I cramp my hand up good.

not what I expected from Nathan's capable hands. Guess there's no accounting for mass production - but wait, how many 9128 nibs were made? And what I would give to have learned about them 20 years ago and accumulated more of them. :( :crybaby:

Edited by KCat, 17 January 2011 - 17:08.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#86 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:00

Does anyone have a video (or want to make a video) explaining how to best use this pen?

After watching this movie, I'm amazed at how vertical it looks like he is holding the pen. Any instructions or "this is what works for me..." would be great!

Link to Youtube

#87 missclimpson

missclimpson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2011 - 19:55

...Furthermore!

It's like watching Soupy Sales with that hand waving around in the video.

#88 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 19:59

Does anyone have a video (or want to make a video) explaining how to best use this pen?

After watching this movie, I'm amazed at how vertical it looks like he is holding the pen. Any instructions or "this is what works for me..." would be great!

Link to Youtube

I hold mine very low (more horizontal than vertical) and use medium speed and (hopefully) highly controlled strokes, which seems to reduce skipping quite a bit.
Gobblecup ~

#89 heyva

heyva

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:41

The Ivory Darkness pens are in stock over at Goulet pens (I haven't purchased from them yet but like their blog.)

#90 Mr.Wote

Mr.Wote

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:15

Just got my Ivory Darkness in the mail tonight. It is a bit smaller than I thought, but very pretty. I'll be inking it up tomorrow and playing with it.