Noodler's Flex Pen

sentraser165

I was one of the pen junkies who made sure to be at the computer at noon yesterday to pick up a flex pen from goulet (among other things that I probably shouldn't have bought, but did anyway). I've never really written with a flex nib before, so I am kind of excited about this! Does anyone know how these things write?

Edited to add: by "these things", I meant the noodler's pens specifically.

Edited by sentraser165

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• Yoda4561

• UkeDan

• 79spitfire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been earlier batches of them and at least one review written here if you search. I found I didn't like how hard I had to press with the earlier ones.

I'm one of those junkies too! Can't wait to try it out. I've played around with dip nibs for a while and now I also have a Falcon, so I've played with flex nibs before. I read the reviews that the noodlers flex nibs are a bit tough but still excited to get one in my hands.

:thumbup: for Goulet Pens!

Edited by Senate1123
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I got one from the first batch that went to Todd at isellpens.com.

They have a nice bit of flex, but you've really got to try for it. Here's a sample. I think I've posted this before:

http://dizzypen.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/flex-creaper-e1288027179113.jpg

They are smooth writing little pens. Definitely a good buy for the money. I can't wait to try Black Swan with it.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I ordered one from isellpens a couple days ago. Seems like 14 bucks worth trying out, but my gut feeling Is that my handwriting is too bad for flex.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

I bought a couple to try out. I have some pens I bought from Peyton Street Pens (these ones http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/servlet/the-236/Vintage-Piston-Fill-Fountain/Detail ) that write very well and have a bit of flex and I really really enjoy them. I'm hoping the Noodler's flex pens flex a little easier and/or a little broader than those. I am ridiculously excited for my Noodler's pens to arrive.

I'm really eager to hear what everyone thinks of the Noodler's flex nibs. I (of course!) immediately inked one up myself when they first came in, and I thought it was actually quite easy to flex. I don't know what the first batch was like, but the one I was using flexed quite easily. I will be the first to day that flex nibs will absolutely show the worst your handwriting has to offer, so it takes a bit of practice :rolleyes:

I plan to post a little something about the pens once I get myself collected. Things have been understandably nuts around here the last few days :blink:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

I'm really eager to hear what everyone thinks of the Noodler's flex nibs. I (of course!) immediately inked one up myself when they first came in, and I thought it was actually quite easy to flex. I don't know what the first batch was like, but the one I was using flexed quite easily. I will be the first to day that flex nibs will absolutely show the worst your handwriting has to offer, so it takes a bit of practice :rolleyes:

I plan to post a little something about the pens once I get myself collected. Things have been understandably nuts around here the last few days :blink:

After using it for over a month now I can say that it is easier to flex than it was for that sample.

I don't know if he changed the nibs at all, but they look identical from the pictures: ventless, slightly longer tines, Noodler's Ink Co straddling the nib slit...

I've been practicing in a Clairfontaine Seyes staplebound notebook. My flexing is getting better, but I'm many many many moons away having a decent hand.

I can't wait until I get that bottle of Black Swan I ordered from you. That ought to be fun out of the flexy creaper!

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

My Noodler's flexible nib should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I bought a Noodler's Stylographic rollerball a couple weeks ago and I like it (even if it is a rollerball) as I can load it with Legal Lapis and Bad Belted Kingfisher. It is good for forms with attached carbons. If I could change anything about it the line would be a bit thicker.

Pen junkie? Nope - I only ordered 5 or so this week. :) I got a TWSBI Diamond 530 medium nib in the mail today - if you do not have one, add it to your list.

Definitely excited. All my pens at the moment are steel nails, so I was actually encouraged by the reports of the firmness of these flex pens. Basically that they wouldn't be too easy to "overflex" accidentally and I could use them as a regular writing instrument unless I wanted to get fancy with it. I also orderd a few ink samplers (sorry Brian!) including a couple inks that I noticed had no reviews in the Ink Review index, so should be a fun couple weeks for me.

Edited by Yoda4561

My Noodler's flexible nib should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I bought a Noodler's Stylographic rollerball a couple weeks ago and I like it (even if it is a rollerball) as I can load it with Legal Lapis and Bad Belted Kingfisher. It is good for forms with attached carbons. If I could change anything about it the line would be a bit thicker.

Pen junkie? Nope - I only ordered 5 or so this week. :) I got a TWSBI Diamond 530 medium nib in the mail today - if you do not have one, add it to your list.

On my list; just trying to decide between a F and a M nib.... so difficult not being able to try one first!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://asolemate.wordpress.com

I was at the computer at 10:30am Central time and I had made my order by 11:04am even with a computer crash. This is my first fountain pen that will have any flex, and also my first demonstrator. So I would say I am pretty excited to get it, and I already have Black Swan! :P Its wonderful FYI! ;)

I think that Nathan may have taken feedback on the first small batch and made minor improvements, either way there are few pens to be had at $14.00, much less flexible piston fillers!

Gobblecup ~

Mine should be here any day now! I also bought a bottle of Black Swan. I'm hoping for a difference between this and the earlier pen based on the Dollar brand demo. I got the "December 25" version, if nothing else the pen will look wicked cool in the collection!!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I did a review of all the Noodler's pens, and you should be prepared to adjust the nib, either removing and rotating it so it is not pushed up against the plastic stop inside, or in some cases to pull it out just a touch. Doing this, you will find a "sweet spot" in terms of having optimal flow, and minimize the "railroad tracks" from tine separation with flexing. Also, write slower and do the flexing only on the downstroke.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I'm pretty excited about it, but I dislike demonstrators and the red/green sets my teeth on edge. I'm waiting to get a nice blue or orange one, and re-learn how to write.

I'm pretty excited about it, but I dislike demonstrators and the red/green sets my teeth on edge. I'm waiting to get a nice blue or orange one, and re-learn how to write.

I didn't want the pen in clear, and I had a similar concern for the red/green being to Christmas-y for using other times of the year.

My pen (realizing YMMV) is a nice deep, year-round red with very minimal swirling.

Enough to know its not solid red, but not so green that you wonder why its January and I'm still writing with my Christmas pen.

Consider as I'm sure you have that you can dress it up further by your color choice of ink for the windows on the piston-fill body.

Outside of looks, I really enjoyed the flex of the pen.

I know others have indicated earlier versions were stiffer than they would have liked - cannot speak to that as I never tried those but the one I purchased this week has more than exceeded my expectations in line variation and ease of use. It is a firm flex, rather than soft or bouncy or springy if that distinction makes sense...

Happy Festivus.

Edited by aspendigger

I didn't want the pen in clear, and I had a similar concern for the red/green being to Christmas-y for using other times of the year.

My pen (realizing YMMV) is a nice deep, year-round red with very minimal swirling.

Enough to know its not solid red, but not so green that you wonder why its January and I'm still writing with my Christmas pen.

Consider as I'm sure you have that you can dress it up further by your color choice of ink for the windows on the piston-fill body.

Outside of looks, I really enjoyed the flex of the pen.

I know others have indicated earlier versions were stiffer than they would have liked - cannot speak to that as I never tried those but the one I purchased this week has more than exceeded my expectations in line variation and ease of use. It is a firm flex, rather than soft or bouncy or springy if that distinction makes sense...

Happy Festivus.

Yes, it's a little firm but has some great range, mine goes from an XF to 1.3-1.5mm before I feel uncomfortable. That said it seems my normal writing style isn't very "flex friendly" as it were, slow and deliberate are real necessities if you want to get nice looking letters with variation. On the bright side mine also works great if I ignore the flex aspect and just use it like a regular xf pen, it's the finest nib I own right now and would work great for note taking or crossword puzzles.

These are my very first doodles, I got my "flexy" in the mail today!!! Please bear in mind that I HAVE NO IDEA what I am doing. I just wanted this pen to play around with and have fun!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/NoodlersFlexPenTrial1.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Just got the pen this evening and its been all fun since! I am very impressed at how much line variation you can get from these pens. It is, as another noted, a bit on the firmer side of flex. But not in that its difficult to flex, more in that it wont flop around like a noodle as soon as it hits the page.

My only problem with this new pen is that I only got one! Now my family is trying to pry it off me... Its my pen darnit!

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~