Yard-o-led Grand

Russ

Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand

First Impressions – 10/10.

The Viceroy Grand (VG) was the second YOL I purchased from Pam Braun, and I was reassured of her professionalism when the package arrived via Priority Mail, insured, with delivery confirmation. Working with Pam is always a pleasure.

A black cardboard box contained a faux-wood inner box with clasp and purple fuzzy interior, a fitting inner box for a pen as noble as the VG. Included was a leather(ette) carrying sleeve for the pen, and a polishing cloth with two grades; the inner white cloth to loosen tarnish, the outer grey cloth to remove it. It was nicely stamped with the YOL logo.

Of course, the big moment of removing the pen from its bed led to a visual and audible “Wow!!! That pen is huge!!” And it is. Somehow, photos don’t convey the size. Even the end of the cap looks mighty. Picking it up, the weight suddenly made me realize how m u c h larger the Grand is than the pencil-size Standard I bought a few years ago. I have to admit that I gulped. Had I bought a pen too big to use?!? Would I secretly feel disappointed, taking it out of the storage case just to show family that I was using it after all? For that answer, you have to read below!

Appearance & Design – 10/10.

The VG was produced in three finishes: Plain, Barley, and Victorian. I had the Victorian finish on my Standard, and love it. The patina fills in the depressed areas over time, and has a nice tactile feeling which does an outstanding job holding moisture from hands. “Warm and grippy” might be a good description. The Barley finish is quite common and, while less attractive than the Victorian, nevertheless offers a grippy surface as well as visual effect. I wanted the Plain since I liked its clean appearance (I’m also a Lamy 2000 loyalist in terms of design), because it was rare, and because I wanted to see how the patina will occur on a smooth body as the pen eventually reflects me as its user. The Plain finish felt a little more less grippy than the Victorian, but that was to be expected. However, the feeling of cold slipperiness departs as the pen warms up in the hand. It became so nice and comfortable that I could close my eyes, rotate the pen, and just by its warmth find the right spot so that when I opened my eyes the nib was right-side up and ready to write. Fun!

Construction & Quality -- 10/10.

YOL users don’t need to read this section; it writes itself. For those who want to make themselves very happy, this is for you. While the Standard model clearly appears to be made from a silver tube, the Grand was less clearly so. Unscrewing the barrel, I was surprised at how thick the barrel walls were. And the threads stood out from them. It looked like something machined from a rod, not a tube. The section threads were a surprise; they were not the usual short, fine threads found on many pens. These were machinist-quality threads: tall and unusually thin. Almost sharp. I began using a mechanic’s trick when threading the barrel on: touch the parts together, turn backward one turn to ensure threads engage, then turn them together. I didn’t want to cross-thread this wonderful pen. A final surprise was the rubber o-ring, providing both an added sealant as well as enough resistance to prevent the barrel from backing out from the section. I added a film of silicone grease to extend the life of the o-ring, then inked it and went to business!

Weight & Dimensions – 10/10.

The weight of this pen makes its dimensions seem larger than they are. It feels like a baton instead of a pen. However, the chart shows that it is only 1 mm longer than the Americana and 2 mm longer than the M1000. Don’t let the weight dissuade you from purchase. It is a pen in a class by itself, and I believe its weight and wonderful nib create a writing experience which will please many. I secretly wonder whether I should sell my other pens; they are nice, but just don’t hold a candle to the Grand.

The cap clicks on security on both ends of the pen. While I am used to YOL caps fittings their sections nicely, I was impressed when the cap clicked onto the rings at the barrel end, assuring that it would stay posted and not fall off.

Nib & Performance – 10/10.

Here is the heart of the Grand: it’s luscious bold nib. Ghost Plane describes them as “precise,” distinct from bolds that are carelessly ground to a general shape to give a smooth feel without regard for their line. I agree. YOL tipping has the appearance of being carefully monitored to ensure the final shape conforms to an objective standard, a “YOL profile.” The result is a superb nib that lays down a perfectly defined line. Even this bold nib, wide and wet as it is, never feels like its out of control or going beyond my intention to lay a clean, refined line of ink. Whether I let it lay and float across the page or press for emphasis, it’s like driving a German sports car: always under control, always precise, always confident.

I was surprised that the feed looked very familiar, and a comparison with my Bexley Americana confirmed it: the feeds look remarkably similar in contour and cut. In fact, the nibs themselves look quite similar though they differ in color. I believe Bock makes them for both YOL and Bexley, and that’s fine. They’re both excellent. But the tipping on the YOL (Bold) was better than on the Bexley (Medium), which required smoothing before it reached its full potential.

I tried only Herbin Perle Noir during initial tests, but the marriage will be a long and happy one. The ink flows very nicely from this nib. In fact, it really flows! I went through two converters’ worth while writing 33 pages. Yet it never feathered, bled, nor laid wet too long.

Filling System – 10/10.

The Grand uses a standard converter, or cartridges if one prefers. The advantages and limitations of a converter come home to roost with the Grand. The barrel is wide enough to accommodate a wider, proprietary converter or a piston were one available. And with a broad nib, this converter is at the upper end of its limit at supplying ink. My Standard in fine writes a long time on a converter; the Grand went through two in one day. By comparison, my Americana can use one converter per day. I prefer that YOL limit manufacturing expense to quality converters and remain focused on outstanding nibs and bodies. I can fill a pen without complaining. And I don’t mind filling such a nice one!

Cost & Value – 10/10.

Let’s be honest. YOL is not inexpensive. Most vendors price the Grand between $625 and $750 USD. Somehow Pam Braun offers them for $400, shipped. I enjoy the trust many of us vest in Pam and stay with her. For $400.00, the Grand is a bargain. Many pens in its size and quality class have an MSRP at $500.00 and up. Given Pam’s service and YOL’s reputation for standing behind their product, I must disagree with anyone who suggests that a YOL is more expensive than comparable pens. Unlike other filler systems, there are no moving parts besides the converter. And the pens are built for a lifetime of use in all settings, not just at the house. The YOL Grand is an excellent value for the price.

Overall Assessment – 10/10.

I researched the Grand for a long time before buying, as many of us do. I was more than satisfied with the purchase experience and with the pen, once I adjusted to its massive size and weight. Somehow my M1000 doesn’t seem to be the pinnacle of refinement now. I think I’ll keep it anyway.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Russ

• Rena

• carlc

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who wants to coach me on how to place images where I want them in a post, instead of at the end, is welcome. Also, I was surprised the table didn't post as I visualized it.

The review is written and the information is there.

I hope it is helpful, and enjoyable, to all!

Nice Review!! Makes me want a YOL all over again!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Russ

Thank you for an excellent review.

I particularly appreciate the comparison photograph and the table! The differences between the Standard and the Grand appear to be more significant than I had appreciated (numbers are all very well and good but there is nothing like a photograph to bring the differences home).

Having said that - any chance of a photograph of the Grand capped (just out of interest - as you note the plain Grand is now rare)?

I have now book marked this thread so I can return to it many times over as I obsess/dream about another Grand YOL.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Thanks, everyone! I enjoyed writing the review. I always find creating such tables fun ... I wish I was as good at photography!

Attached is a photo showing the cap in comparison to the others. I should note that it is easier to remove the cap using both hands than slipping it off with one hand, as I do with the Standard. The Grand's cap fits quite snug, and it's large... :cloud9:

The photography is 'Just Fine' Russ .. !

The Grand is stunning - handsome .. didn't think I would appreciate it so.

Still, the Victorian sings to me.. it's Very me : )

I may have to rethink all of the misc pens here, in a state of disuse..

Wonder if they would equal one Victorian.. :hmm1:

Also, if the shape of the Victorian would circumvent the Carene weight issue.. the inked once Carene could go.. :hmm1:

ahh Russ.. back to reality.. Happy for you Sir!

Thanks for the additional photograph Russ - your photography is better then mine!

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

The photography is 'Just Fine' Russ .. !

The Grand is stunning - handsome .. didn't think I would appreciate it so.

Still, the Victorian sings to me.. it's Very me : )

I may have to rethink all of the misc pens here, in a state of disuse..

Wonder if they would equal one Victorian.. :hmm1:

Also, if the shape of the Victorian would circumvent the Carene weight issue.. the inked once Carene could go.. :hmm1:

ahh Russ.. back to reality.. Happy for you Sir!

I like the Victorian finish very much, too! My dream retirement would be to create finishes like this. I think it's a wonderful art form!

Lovely review, Russ! I especially appreciate the vintage look of YOL pens.

Congratulations on a much researched purchase.

--Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thanks for the review, Russ. I read the post you made after you first received this pen and knew I'd be watching for your review with photos. I like silver pens. I don't have any, but admire many of the vintage silver pens that are out there, and some of the modern ones. In my opinion, the YOL Grand is the handsomest modern silver I've seen. Nice review. I appreciate your photos showing size and shape comparison too.

Thanks, Julie and Rena!

Rena, your response led me to realize that I really don't think of YOL as modern pens. Recent manufacture, yes. Yet everything about them, short of a converter, appears and feels vintage. The only thing lacking is an ebonite feed, and that could be added. Maybe that's why I enjoy them so much. They're really vintage pens which just happen to be made recently.

Anyone care to comment?

I'll comment. :) I agree with your assessment, and that's probably why I admire it so much too. I really like its vintage look. I've been in a "no buy" zone for a long time now, but still keep a mental note of which pens I'd like to have some day. I used to hunt for silver Wahls, but they were not easy to find; plus, if they were available, they were out of my price range and too small. The one thing this Grand has that's hard to find in vintage pens is good size. I don't mind metal sections when they are on a pen that is all metal like this one — it looks right. Ebonite would be nice too, but all silver is still lovely in my opinion. LOVE the clip on these.

If sometime in the future I am fortunate enough to get this pen, I think I'll let a natural patina develop on the silver. Do you polish or do you leave the patina? I have two pens with sterling trim; one I leave alone and the other I polish.

I attempted to post this earlier, but it didn't appear on the forum. Maybe I miskeyed...

Rena, I don't like metal sections, either, especially chrome. Cold and slippery. Silver, however, warms up like a mug of hot coffee held on a cold day. I don't want to put the pen down because it has become so comfortable.

My Standard in Victorian finish stays bright on the high spots while dark patina appears in the depressions. That's fine. I noticed that my Grand in Plain finish has little dots of tarnish left after I polished it following unboxing. I'll get them later. But I'm not going to polish the pen weekly; I think I'll let it develop it's own pattern of patina, making it unique. That's another plus of silver over chrome and other metals: each one gains an appearance unique to itself. It's charming.

I sold a few pens to raise money for the Grand and, since I'm usually slow to sell pens, I held them long enough that they had no real meaning for me anymore. I don't even miss them. And I am really enjoying the Grand. I hope you get one someday! I think you'll like it very much!

Thanks for a pleasant review of a very nice pen. I bought one (a Lined Viceroy - now out of production) not too long ago and agree with you on basically all accounts. What amazes me most is that while it is huge it is still very well balanced and lovely to write with. I also agree with what you say about silver as a material that ages well. I like some tarnish and "love marks" on silver.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I'm so glad things turned out well for you Russ, with this pen. I remember reading another post of yours, possibly in response to a review by Lady D, that you'd be wanting one of these.

Do you still have any of your Cross pens? I sold my only one, the Apogee in Titian Red in response to the enjoyment I got out of my CdA Leman. I've tried the Yard O Leds at my store and they are works of delight. You're right about the finish: silver is so nice to clean or even better, just simply admire its natural development with use.

10/10 for a pen like this is no hyperbole: enjoy for a long time to come :bunny01:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Now you all know what the fuss is about. Excellent review of the one finish I don't have and lust after. :puddle: This is why my 3 Grands are always on the keeper row in my pen case. :cloud9: