Noodler's "stylo" Rollerball

GOB Bluth

I first found out about this cost-effective rollerball pen that uses fountain pen ink from this board. At a sticker price of $14.00, Noodlers advertises it as costing the same as a bottle of ink. I was intrigued. So, I ordered one and have decided to write a review to help other make the same decision.

Design: It is a simple, yet very comfortable design. The pen appears to be the same body as a Dollar 717 fountain pen. It fits in my hand perfectly with the way I grip a rollerball. It is not heavy by any means, maybe just a little heavier than a Pilot G2. To me, the Noodler's is the perfect size. The only downfall for me is that it is a threaded cap. While I certainly prefer the threaded cap, I find it annoying when taking notes that if I put the pen down I feel I need to cap it because I do not want it to dry out, but that may be a user error.

Fill: The piston works as it should. As advertised, the piston should be drawn down as you write to eliminate air bubbles. While I think this is so that the ink does not expand with a temperature change, I have found it helps the pen not write so dry. It is a bit of a pain to think about doing all the time, but not a huge deal. Pretty straight forward.

Nib: While the nib on this pen is a rollerball, I can still evaluate it because it used bottled ink. So far, I have been pleased. I have Noodler's Baystate Blue in here and have had no problems. I have only had it in for a few days, though. I find it can be dry, especially on a yellow legal pad. The pen lays down a line with BSB right between what a Pilot G2 0.5 and Pilot G2 0.7 lays down. The feel of the rollerball reminds me of writing with a Pilot Permaball rollerball pen.

Overall: This is a good buy if you are a fountain pen user who still has a use for a rollerball pen, as I do in my daily life. It allows me to still use fountain pen ink and at least have the good feeling that I am being economical. The only way that will hold true is if I keep myself from buying other pens, which hopefully this helps. I have to say that I do not like writing with it as much as a Pilot G2, but I would never be able to use Baystate Blue or other inks with a Pilot G2. I am never going to get as smooth a writing experience from a rollerball as I would a gel pen. I will use this pen A LOT on a daily basis. With replacement tips 4/$1.00, how can you go wrong?

Photo 1

Photo 2

Edited by GOB Bluth

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOB Bluth

• jimhughes

• JonB55198

• randyholhut

GOB may be on to something here. With this "stylo," Nathan has created a writing instrument that will use Baystate Blue without incident.

I also filled my Noodlers rollerball with BSB, and it has behaved better than any other pen I've put this ink in. I really love the color, but have hated the clogging and other issues. Now I finally have a pen I can use it in.

Will this replace a G2? No. I think the G2 is the best non-fountain pen writing instrument there is in terms of cost, reliability, refillability and writing smoothness.

But this Noodlers pen is a nice way to take advantage of the expanded color palate of fountain pen inks in a rollerball-like pen.

I agree overall with your review. However, I ran into a problem with the pen's nib after less than a month's worth of light use--I was writing with it a few days ago and the ball in the tip suddenly fell out. I like the idea of the pen, so I'll probably invest in some more nibs, but I'm concerned about just how well these pens are made if mine broke down after such a short period. In contrast, I have similar rollerball pens (though c/c vs. piston-fill) from Kaweco & other companies that are still going strong after several years.

Joshua and I have a combined use rate of about 2.5 months with the Creaper and BSB. Obviously, I still have problems following instructions. I was not drawing down the piston as I used the ink. Sitting in the sun with a fleece jacket on, resulted in a burp of ink. I didn't notice that till I went to use it and discovered my Smurf Fingers. Fingers came clean with a little work, but the cap has a mildly aesthetic permanent stain. The function remains excellent. Using a 10X English Scale reticule and a Pilot gel ink pen marked 0.4 mm as well as comparison with my usual Rollerball, a Pilot Precise V5 (0.5 mm), my Creaper leaves about an 0.3-0.4 mm line. This works well for an XF addict like myself. Neither Joshua nor I have experienced ball fall out. I'm about 6 weeks into the game with daily use. gouletpens or isellpens has the replacement nib/stylograph part for 25-30 cents apiece. gouletpens has on B/O replacement nib section parts. I'd replace the tip if I was you. It's a great little writer for those of us locked into rollerballs or gel ink at work. Now I can freely use my BSB w/o worrying about damage to my pen. Joshua posts here as jnforat. Looking forward to your photos, Jim

I would think if you flush and clean it till you get mostly clear water coming through you'd be OK. Maybe a bit of ink mixing at first, like a partially cleaned FP, then the 2nd colour choice would predominate. I've not tried this, but that's my supposition. At only 25-30 cents for the metal sleeve, fiber wick tip, I'd just change that after a good flush. gouletpens and isellpens has the replacement tips in stock. gouletpens. just got in today the section with the metal sleeve device mounted, at 50 cents each.

That might be another option. If your flush with $, you might consider one $14.00 pen for each ink you wish to use, unless that encompases a lot of inks/pens. Usual disclaimer, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a couple of these. I'm trying the first one out with Visconti blue ink. The line is slightly more "fine" than I prefer, but the write is smooth and wet on Day #1. So far, so good.

Just got a couple of these. I'm trying the first one out with Visconti blue ink. The line is slightly more "fine" than I prefer, but the write is smooth and wet on Day #1. So far, so good.

I also found it to be finer than I wanted, but maybe due to think ink i was using (Baystate Blue). I did just send in to get replacement tips, as the roller ball came out of mine after a week of using. It could also have been that the tip was dryer than normal. I'm interested to see how long it takes to get new tips from Noodlers ( I sent $1 and note to their address, as stated I could do in the literature that came with the pen) and also to see if there are any differences with a new tip.

I also found it to be finer than I wanted, but maybe due to think ink i was using (Baystate Blue). I did just send in to get replacement tips, as the roller ball came out of mine after a week of using. It could also have been that the tip was dryer than normal. I'm interested to see how long it takes to get new tips from Noodlers ( I sent $1 and note to their address, as stated I could do in the literature that came with the pen) and also to see if there are any differences with a new tip.

If you have any Polar Blue or Polar green, give those a try. They tend to be prone to spreading the line a bit in most fountain pen nibs, but might be perfect in one of the rollerballs.

Edited by Yoda4561

• 4 weeks later...

I've still not gotten anything in return from Luxury Brands as of 1/15

Edited by GOB Bluth

I've still not gotten anything in return from Luxury Brands as of 1/15

Finally gave up and ordered some from gouletpens. They came in three days and I am back to using my stylo. I have put in a non-BSB ink in and it is working fine, with a new tip. I think so long as I clean it out and have a dedicated Baystate Blue tip, i can change inks. I don't mind the cosmetic blue stain on the inside of the barrel.

I received some replacement rollerball tips from Goulet Pens and my goodness, what a difference. I thought I had a smooth pen originally, but the new tips write with no skipping with Baystate blue. I also have another one dedicated to non-baystate blue and that was great as well. If your pen is skipping, I suggest new tips (50 cents each)

Writes like a dream. Smoother than my pilot g2 now

thumbup.gif

Glad to hear the tip swap resolved all your issues. Mine is skipping a might, maybe time I switched tips. Jim

The other aspect to consider...paper. I am grading student's papers and it performs much differently (with baystate blue) in different computer paper they used.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine seems to clog or hard-start with Noodler's Heart of Darkness. Does anyone else experience this?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

I had HOD in mine when I first bought it and had horrible issues such as clogging too. I changed the rollerball out with a replacement from Goulet Pens and filled it with Bad Belted Kingfisher and it has been smooth sailing. I have been using it at work for about a week now and I love it.

Maybe I will try polar black

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

I like the idea of the pen, and still use it to sign checks with Noodler's black, but I gave up on using it as a daily writer after the second point died in less than a month.

-WontonST

www.sanjosecalligraphy.com

www.wontonst.info