• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pickwick

• Halden

• fwyun

• corniche

Going through a box of stationery left by my Father-in-law I found a bottle of Waterman's Aztec. It was half full and still in good condition. Not sure how old it was but it still had the price tag: 10cents. Like you I enjoy the Sepia colours and did some pen drawings with it. Waterman changed the name, to "Havana Brown". I bought another bottle after I used it up.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

For my full thoughts check :My Havana Review

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe it's just my monitor, but . . .

I know you describe this as a "reddish" brown, but on my screen I'm seeing more of a hint of purple.

In any case, I like the color (and I'm not generally a big fan of the browns). May have to pick up a bottle :)

Francis

Greetings Halden,

Waterman's Havana Brown is the one brown ink that I like. It has a rich color, excellent flow and it is the only Waterman ink to be pH neutral - 7.0 - right on the nozzle, (red is next at 7.9). Thanks for the review and reminding me that I have a bottle.

Best regards,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

For my full thoughts check :My Havana Review

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe it's just my monitor, but . . .

I know you describe this as a "reddish" brown, but on my screen I'm seeing more of a hint of purple.

In any case, I like the color (and I'm not generally a big fan of the browns). May have to pick up a bottle :)

Francis

I'ts very difficult getting true colours on a monitor. The bottle of Waterman's Havana Brown I have is virtually the same as the old bottle of Aztec I used. There is no hint of purple in it. It has that old Sepia tone to it which I like.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I'ts very difficult getting true colours on a monitor. The bottle of Waterman's Havana Brown I have is virtually the same as the old bottle of Aztec I used. There is no hint of purple in it. It has that old Sepia tone to it which I like.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

good to know! thanks!

Francis

Waterman havana was the first brown ink I bought. And I'll be buying annother bottle when that runs out.

Chris B.

Edited by Ipno Tizer

Waterman havana is the brown ink I prefer. Used with a dip pen, on a Lalo Vergé paper, it has a wonderfull look.:thumbup:

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

While I am currently on a PR Chocolat kick, Waterman Havana is an ink I use very regularly. Great ink with a rich red base.

Always good to see other people discovering this ink.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

I have used this ink since my return to fountain pens a couple of years ago. I use 4 browns off and on, but I prefer Waterman Havana in my vintage pens along with Waterman Blue-Black.

The color reminds me of my long gone Cuban cigars. (and my long gone Honduran cigars and my long gone Nicaraguan cigars...)

I adore this ink; I was always keep a bottle of it handy. Once, though, it gave me trouble with a Parker 51---it would gunk up on the nib and cause flow problems. Weird. Fortunately, this hasn't happened with other pens. My Pelikan Tortoise LOVES this ink. I hope that Waterman Havana is never discontinued, as happened with Montblanc British Racing Green.

• 3 months later...

We picked up a bottle of this ink this past weekend.

Really like the colour of it, but we are having skipping issues with it in a Pilot 78G M nib pen.

The pen previously had Pelikan Violet in it and it worked flawlessly with that ink.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• 6 months later...

I use the Waterman Havana daily in a vintage Parker Vacumatic. It performs exceptionally well for me. I have noticed though that the bottle I have produces a much more rich chocolate brown color with less hints of red than I have seen in other members writing samples. Overall this is one of my favorite inks and best performers. It lays down a smooth wet line and I have had no issues of skipping or feathering with the ink. I also think that it makes for a very classic look when combined with the Vacumatic.

I use havana brown in a couple of my Waterman pens. I find a big difference with this ink between my Gentleman and my Carene. My Gentleman leaves a rich dark colour whilst the Carene which seems to have a lesser ink flow leaves a much lighter line. Although both different I find them each agreeable colours. Rightly or wrongly I prefer using Waterman inks in my Waterman pens to try and avoid corrosion on the gold nib rings. Can anyone say if it advisable to use only Waterman inks in my Waterman pens?