J. Herbin 1670 Reviewed...

orange lamy

J. Herbin 1670, loaded into my Lamy Safari with 1.5 stub... this is my second converter with this ink, to get a good feel for it. I first used it in the EF nib and then on the 1.5.

I must say that this ink is a wonderful red. It's straight up red like wax seal red, and when the ink pools up, I do see the golden residue. Pretty in sunlight, and gives it this nice golden brown tint layered on top of a saturated red.

The lubrication properties are wonderful, made both the EF and 1.5 feel smooth. Not Aurora Black smooth. Very smooth indeed.

Its not waterproof, so I didn't bother with the water test, and it seems that this ink reacts a little to skin oil, it may not be very visible, but i was able to get random minute smears on the text.

For 20 dollars, I guess its worth having a bottle of limited edition ink, and its very suitable for the holidays and perhaps valentines day card. I worry about putting this ink into a vintage pen in fear of clogging because it does build up the gold residue on the nib very fast, but hasn't affected the writing or flow of my Lamy at all! Weird properties.

I would buy this ink again if i wanted a red with slight unique properties (the gold shimmer whatever thing that looks nice).

Overall I am very happy with this ink, no bleeding or feathering. I like this ink when its dipped even more, because the line is that much more saturated and that much more gold shimmer appears. It almost looks like a blood red.

fun things to do with this ink if you want to waste some... when I blotted my pen with a tissue, it looked like blood, so I kept it in my pocket to play nosebleed pranks on my friends. Lame I know, but it was funny for me. haha.

SHAKE the bottle before you load it up.. What a beautiful bottle indeed.

post-45122-0-31723300-1291360526.jpg

Did I miss anything? Ask questions if you want to know anything about this ink I will be glad to answer!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• RockFL

• breaker

• Surf Monkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

I use 1670 in my Sheaffer Bamboo, medium nib, and achieve delightful shading. Using a Rhodia Webbie, the buff-colored paper is calendered so the ink dries slowly, I must be careful and patient or my script smears inelegantly.

A few months ago I started filling a Sheaffer cartridge with 80% 1670 and 20% Herbin Saphir blue (described locally as the "blue of ballpoint pen ink in the 1960s"). This combination gives the deep purple color of venal blood and it shades wonderfully, going from almost black to bright red.

david boise ID

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Thanks for this review. I'm not tring to get off the track, but what do you suggest that I try out in order to see that goldiness which others also perceive? I use pens which are very wet and also have very broad nibs. I see the "piling up of ink" (as you say) especially under a 10x loupe. My papers are also 24 lb (90 g) as well as 80 and 100 g. No gold.

Why do I see your gold? Is it you scanner or my monitor?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I use this ink very successfully in a Sheaffer Prelude medium which is a very wet writer. Nib crip is significant, but the color and shading are worth it.

The gold flakes/particles/content separates from the ink while sitting unused. Mixing the ink thoroughly before filling the pen puts it back in suspension. Perhaps a piston fill pen with a large reservoir would need to be turned a few times before use to blend the colors if it has been sitting for a bit?

Good luck.

The gold flakes/particles/content separates from the ink while sitting unused. Mixing the ink thoroughly before filling the pen puts it back in suspension. Perhaps a piston fill pen with a large reservoir would need to be turned a few times before use to blend the colors if it has been sitting for a bit?

Thanks! I looked at both of my bottles (which have been having taken a nap for 2 months) and there's still no sediment as often described and also photographed by Sam recently. Yes... it's always an enticement to say "well, it must then be the charge". I shook the bootles and I shook my pens and then finally my head.

Maybe I need new bottles.

Hey, anybody out there who's got too much sediment? :mellow:

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to buy some of this for a while now. My primary red is Diamine Ox Blood and it's great, but it skews more toward brown/black making it look like dried blood (which is exactly what I was looking for when I bought it.) This looks like a much more vibrant red and I really like the sheen of the gold flakes. Can't wait to try it out!