Black Swan In Australian Roses

jgrasty

I recently received (thanks, farseer911) a bottle of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Here's a writing sample, on Rhodia Dotpad No 19 paper:

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/black-swan-sample.jpg

The colors in the image are very close to what I see on paper, perhaps slightly more saturated if anything.

This ink is less wet than a typical Noodler's ink, and not quite as saturated. It exhibits some pretty impressive shading performance as well. The color is quite similar to the FPN exclusive ink, Dumas Tulipe Noire, though DTN is a little wetter and more saturated.

This ink is very different in different pens. The first writing sample is from a Waterman 52-1/2V with a #2 needlepoint flexible nib. This particular pen writes writes a little on the dry side compared to my other flexible nibbed pens. In this pen, BSAR is completely controllable, very smooth and consistent, but with just a hint of the "Black Swan" effect. The ink dries very quickly with this pen.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/closeup-waterman-52-1-2V.png

The second writing sample is from a Pelikan M620 Shanghai with a B nib converted to cursive italic by Mike Masuyama. The ink is also a little on the dry side with this pen, but it still exhibits some nice shading effects. Note that the "Black Swan" effect is there, but pretty faint.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/closeup-pelikan-shanghai.png

The third writing sample is from a Waterman 52 with a fine flexible nib. In this pen, the ink is very wet and lays down a thick, wet stroke. The ink takes the better part of a minute to dry from this pen, and it verges on being too wet for this pen. Shading is pretty dramatic as well; the "Black Swan" effect is somewhat more evident.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/closeup-waterman-52.png

I've added a few swabs of similar inks at the bottom, for comparison purposes.

I really like this ink and expect to use it in my flex pens frequently.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jgrasty

• 79spitfire

• CatBookMom

• JonSzanto

I don't use Noodlers as much as other brands, so I'm wondering - all the best shading Noodlers I have write very dry off my pens. Does this continue across ALL the great shading Noodlers, or have I hit a statistical anomaly?

I'm making do with my bottle of Tulipe Noire until I can luck into a bottle of this. :mellow:

I don't use Noodlers as much as other brands, so I'm wondering - all the best shading Noodlers I have write very dry off my pens. Does this continue across ALL the great shading Noodlers, or have I hit a statistical anomaly?

I'm making do with my bottle of Tulipe Noire until I can luck into a bottle of this. :mellow:

You may be right about the best shading Noodler's inks being dry. Apache Sunset, the all-time shading king of inks, is dry enough to use in a flex pen. Most of the rest of Noodler's inks are too wet to use in a flex pen from my experience.

Great job showing the possibilities of this ink, jgrasty! Thank you for sharing.

Edit: in my own samples, it doesn't look at all like mb violet. Black swan is more of a cherry or wine color (more on the red spectrum), while violet is definitely purple (less red in contrast to black swan).

Edited by arz

That ink looks gorgeous, especially in the third writing sample. Thanks for sharing! I might have to add this one to my wants list now.

I don't have any flex or semi-flex nibs, so this ink would be wasted on me, but it sure looks good in the right hands. Great samples. Thanks!

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Very nice review... better than mine, and the handwriting blows mine away.

I like the color, just wish it flowed a little better in my Pilots....

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

SWEET ! I'm more in awe of the penmanship i/o the ink :huh:

kinda looks like MB's Violet tho..doesnt it ?

The MB violet is bluer; this is redder. I have both and like both.

That's a nice looking ink. He can keep making more like that, perhaps in some nice blues or greens! :hmm1:

Not really a color I'd use, but I feel myself drawn to it....

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Makes me all the more determined to get my hands on a bottle....:puddle:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Gorgeous review! You have seriously beautiful penmanship!

And this is a unique color that's sedate enough for the office (OK, some offices...) and just exudes subtle class. Putting this one on my Wish List.

- OPG4711

having the 3 samples juxtaposed to compare the black swan effect is *really* useful! thanks for a great review-- i think i'm gonna have to go get myself a bottle to try now, too :)

Currently inked:

Smoke TWSBI 540, F, with Diamine Onyx Black

Pilot Prera, M, with De Atramentis Jules Verne

WOW, did your review show things about this ink that no others have! Beautiful writing too! Thanks! :notworthy1:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Thanks for the review.

This looks like my sort of colour (blue blacks and purple blacks). I'll keep an eye out for when it arives on these shores.

Chris B.

• 4 weeks later...

Black Swan runs wet in one of my Van Gogh Maxi pens with a Pd stub. The inkcame from Goulet's first shipment, and I've so enjoyed this ink that this pen hasn't had any other color since the day the Black Swan arrived. The stub gives great shading, but no Black Swan effect. For that I have to use my vintage flex nibbed pens.

Thanks. Got a bottle in my last shipment, but I'm using up some Herbin first before opening it, so that's good to know.