#1 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2010 - 23:41

I recently received (thanks, farseer911) a bottle of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. Here's a writing sample, on Rhodia Dotpad No 19 paper:

Posted Image

The colors in the image are very close to what I see on paper, perhaps slightly more saturated if anything.

This ink is less wet than a typical Noodler's ink, and not quite as saturated. It exhibits some pretty impressive shading performance as well. The color is quite similar to the FPN exclusive ink, Dumas Tulipe Noire, though DTN is a little wetter and more saturated.

This ink is very different in different pens. The first writing sample is from a Waterman 52-1/2V with a #2 needlepoint flexible nib. This particular pen writes writes a little on the dry side compared to my other flexible nibbed pens. In this pen, BSAR is completely controllable, very smooth and consistent, but with just a hint of the "Black Swan" effect. The ink dries very quickly with this pen.

Posted Image

The second writing sample is from a Pelikan M620 Shanghai with a B nib converted to cursive italic by Mike Masuyama. The ink is also a little on the dry side with this pen, but it still exhibits some nice shading effects. Note that the "Black Swan" effect is there, but pretty faint.

Posted Image

The third writing sample is from a Waterman 52 with a fine flexible nib. In this pen, the ink is very wet and lays down a thick, wet stroke. The ink takes the better part of a minute to dry from this pen, and it verges on being too wet for this pen. Shading is pretty dramatic as well; the "Black Swan" effect is somewhat more evident.

Posted Image

I've added a few swabs of similar inks at the bottom, for comparison purposes.

I really like this ink and expect to use it in my flex pens frequently.
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.

#2 Apotheosis

Apotheosis

A Gathering Of All

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2010 - 23:44

SWEET ! I'm more in awe of the penmanship i/o the ink :huh:
kinda looks like MB's Violet tho..doesnt it ?
Posted Image
"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

#3 karinh

karinh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 23:49

Pretty! Gorgeous script as well.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 00:09

I don't use Noodlers as much as other brands, so I'm wondering - all the best shading Noodlers I have write very dry off my pens. Does this continue across ALL the great shading Noodlers, or have I hit a statistical anomaly?

I'm making do with my bottle of Tulipe Noire until I can luck into a bottle of this. :mellow:

#5 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 00:16

I don't use Noodlers as much as other brands, so I'm wondering - all the best shading Noodlers I have write very dry off my pens. Does this continue across ALL the great shading Noodlers, or have I hit a statistical anomaly?

I'm making do with my bottle of Tulipe Noire until I can luck into a bottle of this. :mellow:

You may be right about the best shading Noodler's inks being dry. Apache Sunset, the all-time shading king of inks, is dry enough to use in a flex pen. Most of the rest of Noodler's inks are too wet to use in a flex pen from my experience.
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.

#6 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 00:17

I have MB Violet, but unfortunately, it is too wet for my flex pens. :gaah:
Regards,

Joey

#7 arz

arz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 00:29

Great job showing the possibilities of this ink, jgrasty! Thank you for sharing.

Edit: in my own samples, it doesn't look at all like mb violet. Black swan is more of a cherry or wine color (more on the red spectrum), while violet is definitely purple (less red in contrast to black swan).

Edited by arz, 30 November 2010 - 00:33.

#8 iiixvix

iiixvix

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:09

That ink looks gorgeous, especially in the third writing sample. Thanks for sharing! I might have to add this one to my wants list now.

#9 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:32

I don't have any flex or semi-flex nibs, so this ink would be wasted on me, but it sure looks good in the right hands. Great samples. Thanks!
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#10 farseer911

farseer911

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:03

Very nice review... better than mine, and the handwriting blows mine away.

I like the color, just wish it flowed a little better in my Pilots....
A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Basset

Basset

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:28

The MB violet is bluer; this is redder. I have both and like both.

#12 Stephany

Stephany

The road less travelled....

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:45

Great review; thank you!

#13 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:13

That's a nice looking ink. He can keep making more like that, perhaps in some nice blues or greens! :hmm1:

Not really a color I'd use, but I feel myself drawn to it....

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#14 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,796 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:26

Makes me all the more determined to get my hands on a bottle....:puddle:
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#15 OPG4711

OPG4711

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:02

Gorgeous review! You have seriously beautiful penmanship!

And this is a unique color that's sedate enough for the office (OK, some offices...) and just exudes subtle class. Putting this one on my Wish List.
- OPG4711

#16 staypuft02

staypuft02

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 17:37

having the 3 samples juxtaposed to compare the black swan effect is *really* useful! thanks for a great review-- i think i'm gonna have to go get myself a bottle to try now, too :)
Currently inked:
Smoke TWSBI 540, F, with Diamine Onyx Black
Pilot Prera, M, with De Atramentis Jules Verne

#17 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:14

WOW, did your review show things about this ink that no others have! Beautiful writing too! Thanks! :notworthy1:
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#18 Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer

Would you like iron in your gall, Sir?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 20:03

Thanks for the review.

This looks like my sort of colour (blue blacks and purple blacks). I'll keep an eye out for when it arives on these shores.

Chris B.

#19 Alice L

Alice L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:15

Black Swan runs wet in one of my Van Gogh Maxi pens with a Pd stub. The inkcame from Goulet's first shipment, and I've so enjoyed this ink that this pen hasn't had any other color since the day the Black Swan arrived. The stub gives great shading, but no Black Swan effect. For that I have to use my vintage flex nibbed pens.

#20 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2010 - 13:57

Thanks. Got a bottle in my last shipment, but I'm using up some Herbin first before opening it, so that's good to know.

#21 Aunt Jill

Aunt Jill

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 14:18

I have a brass dip pen whose point slides into the body of the pen and then reverses for writing. The Black Swan ink wrote purty as can be and I was getting better at showing the special effects and then...

the top part of the pen dropped into the bottle of ink.

I conjured up some patience and used my long tweezers to remove the 1.5-inch nib assembly. I can't wait till I can use a Noodler's flex.

Edited by Aunt Jill, 27 December 2010 - 14:22.

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

#22 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,766 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 17:38

whoa nelly.. just filled my Lamy joy convertor - popped in the nib and it's a scene from "The Blob"s! the Swan is Fllooowwwing lol
however.. Black Swan in my Wahl rt semi-flex looks promising.
I have a bag full of cheesy MI postcards, where Are They!

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#23 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,700 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 22:05

Wonderful review! I might have to add yet another ink to my ever-growing wish list!

#24 MinasTirithScribe

MinasTirithScribe

Royal Healers' Scriptorium of Gondor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 20:09

Yikes, the ink and the penmanship are both achingly beautiful. I love the magenta-to-plum range and had been experimenting with ToasterPastry's method of blending Aurora Black with R&K reds and pinks for shading, so Black Swan has my name on it...

I have one question before I order Black Swan. How different is Black Swan from the FPN-exclusive Tulipe Noire?

#25 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:28

Yikes, the ink and the penmanship are both achingly beautiful. I love the magenta-to-plum range and had been experimenting with ToasterPastry's method of blending Aurora Black with R&K reds and pinks for shading, so Black Swan has my name on it...

I have one question before I order Black Swan. How different is Black Swan from the FPN-exclusive Tulipe Noire?

The colors are fairly similar, though Black Swan is less saturated than Tulipe Noire. Black Swan shades better.
Regards,

Joey

#26 Mauricio

Mauricio

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 16:15

jgrasty ... Great review and my compliments at your beautiful penmanship. Will have to check this ink myself as well.

Ghost Plane,

I have been very happy with the gorgeous shading effects Noodler's Turquoise (American Eel series) and Golden Brown inks create when used with vintage flexible nibs. The only disadvantage has been drying time in those inks. Using those superflex and wet noodle nibs that lay lots of ink on paper, Noodlers inks take a little longer to dry than what I am used to with other ink brands. But still, those are two great colors with amazing shading capabilities.
Tu Amigo!
Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net
Posted Image
E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

#27 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:17

jgrasty ... Great review and my compliments at your beautiful penmanship. Will have to check this ink myself as well.

Thanks! You sold me that Waterman 52 at the Dallas Pen Show... :thumbup:
Regards,

Joey

#28 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:48

Thanks for posting such a gorgeous review. I'm a big fan of Pelikan's Cities and Places series too. However, I'm always terrified of staining the transparent plastic sections. Has this ink left any marks on your Shanghai?

#29 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 16:41

Thanks for posting such a gorgeous review. I'm a big fan of Pelikan's Cities and Places series too. However, I'm always terrified of staining the transparent plastic sections. Has this ink left any marks on your Shanghai?

Nope, no staining at all in my Shanghai. I've used a lot of different inks and haven't had a problem with any of them.
Regards,

Joey

#30 DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef

Vintage Hobby Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 21:38

Using this in my Custom 74 demo F, While I'd love to try this in an italic nib, I just don't have one. This IS the ink I have been looking to use for recipes :) I really like how it looks in my books and notes :) I'm glad I got 2 bottles as in the past 2 days I have used half a pens worth :P I may have to get more :)