Review - J. Herbin - Bleu Nuit

corniche

Greetings all,

This is my VERY FIRST ink review; I have always shunned away from doing these because my penmanship is so atrocious- that is why I printed most of it- and even that isn't any bargain. :blush: Oh well, we can't all write like John Hancock- but I think I'll try working on that if I ever get the time. I was going to start with my favorite ink- Waterman’s Blue-Black; however, at the last moment, I decided to go with my second favorite color, J. Herbin’s Bleu Nuit, (Blue Night). I opted for the latter because I thought fewer people would have this color in their collection and so, more people would benefit from a review of the lesser-known ink. I hope I made the right decision.

If this review is to your liking- I can do more, perhaps I could do Waterman Blue-Black for the next one- or better yet- Welch has offered me his stash of Parker’s Permanent Blue because he doesn’t care for it- naturally, I accepted his more than generous offer with panting breath. :puddle: I definitely will be doing a review of that ink as soon as it arrives. At any rate, I digress, I believe the review form I designed covers all the basics- if I missed anything, please let me know and I’ll try my best to include them in future reviews.

I really like J. Herbin’s Bleu Nuit, it has excellent shading and the color is VERY vintage looking- I can easily imagine this being one of their original colors from the 17th. Century. It is in the blue-black family with a purplish/indigo chroma. The price quoted in the review is for one bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Nuit, shipped within the U.S. from Goulet Pen Co. You'll note that this is my ABRIDGED Ink Review format: I am currently working on an expanded format which will include more data. If you have any questions or suggestions, please lmk.

All the best,

Sean :)

post-50118-0-05355500-1290992408.jpg

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• dickens

• The Royal Pen

• lwang14

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review. A sample to look at would be really helpful and interesting, especially since I don't think the samples on the existing reviews look anything like this ink. Think about it. In an ink review, we're far more interested in seeing the ink and its characteristics than your handwriting.

Edited by dickens
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/4217057079_4694631cd9_m.jpg

Nice review. A sample to look at would be really helpful and interesting, especially since I don't think the samples on the existing reviews look anything like this ink. Think about it. In an ink review, we're far more interested in seeing the ink and its characteristics than your handwriting.

Greetings all,

I scanned the images on my old computer/scanner, because that is the system I am used to; however, the Explorer software is from 2004 and none of my up-loads are working. I tried downloading the new version of ME8, but my computer won't accept that either.

SO, please bear with me, I am going to try to figure out my NEW scanner on my NEW computer and upload the images a little later tonight. Sorry for the mix-up.

All the best,

Sean :huh:

Edited by S. P. Colfer

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Greetings all,

OK! I think I got it!

- Sean :D

Lovely review. Actually, I think your writing is very good! Both your print and your handwriting :)

trpofapprobal.png

Hi,

Thanks for the Review of a great ink. :clap1:

I was impressed at seeing the shading on the 25% rag paper! Usually I've found that type of paper is so absorbent that shading is much reduced. So instead of the harder less absorbent papers, I'll give it a go on the 25% rag.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Thanks for the Review of a great ink. :clap1:

I was impressed at seeing the shading on the 25% rag paper! Usually I've found that type of paper is so absorbent that shading is much reduced. So instead of the harder less absorbent papers, I'll give it a go on the 25% rag.

Bye,

S1

Hello Sandy,

Yes, but make sure you get the Staples brand; I have the same absorption problems you discuss when I use my Southworth brand papers. Actually, I believe the type of paper I bought was Staple's 25% cotton premium laser paper available in white or ivory. I can look up the SKU # if you like.

All the best,

Greetings all,

I hadn't noticed it before; however, when I "blew-up" the image, I did detect slight feathering here and there- so I am now officially changing the score from 5 to 4.5 for "Feathering."

Best regards,

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the nice review.:thumbup:

I have a bottle of Bleu Nuit... somewhere. Used it once and rejected it since I thought it looked dull and flat.

After seeing the shading in your review I will take another look with different pen and paper.

There's nothing wrong with you handwriting by the way. It's certainly better than mine.

Regards,

Marc

It's a nice shade. Only comment I might make is the fact that it changes colour more than my other inks when it's dry. Don't know if other users notice this. No complaint,just an observation.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Lovely review. Actually, I think your writing is very good! Both your print and your handwriting :)

Great review, and love the color :puddle:

Greetings Royal Pen & lwang14,

Thank you- across the board.

All the best,

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the nice review.:thumbup:

I have a bottle of Bleu Nuit... somewhere. Used it once and rejected it since I thought it looked dull and flat.

After seeing the shading in your review I will take another look with different pen and paper.

There's nothing wrong with you handwriting by the way. It's certainly better than mine.

Regards,

Marc

Hello Marc,

Yes, I would give this ink another chance if I were you- maybe you caught it at a bad time. ;) Thanks for the compliments.

All the best,

It's a nice shade. Only comment I might make is the fact that it changes colour more than my other inks when it's dry. Don't know if other users notice this. No complaint,just an observation.

Hello Bill,

I'll have to pay closer attention; never noticed that with this ink. I know my all-time favorite; Waterman Blue-Black is notorious for making like a chamelion...

All the best,

This is really a great review. Please keep on!

Hello Dickens,

Thank you very much- that is very edifying to hear; I'm glad I'm not wasting everyone's time, (including my own ;) ).

All the best,

I just noticed you designed your own layout for the review. I like it- nice review(s)! Keep on doing what you're doing :D

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

I just noticed you designed your own layout for the review. I like it- nice review(s)! Keep on doing what you're doing :D

- Thank you much. :vbg:

All the best,