J Herbin Bleu Myosotis

carpedavid

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5176892448_fb95993df5_b.jpg

J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis is a lovely, pale blue ink that evokes a field of wildflowers – like its namesake "myositis," which is more commonly known as "forget-me-not." The low level of saturation allows for an extremely high degree of shading in both fine and wide nibs. In fact, in a wide enough nib, it almost looks like one is painting with watercolors.

Like Vert Empire, Myosotis is one of the wetter J. Herbin inks, which are, as a group, among the wettest inks I own. As a result, it writes smoothly, but tends to feather on Moleskine and other lower quality papers. On Rhodia paper, it behaved itself, but just barely. I could tell that it was giving the paper a run for its money – especially with the 6mm calligraphy pen I used.

Beyond the tendency to feather, this ink is otherwise well behaved. Both show-through and bleed-through were low to negligible, and the drying time was consistent between Rhodia and Moleskine paper: about ten seconds.

Blue inks are generally acceptable in business use, and I expect that Bleu Myosotis would be no exception. It's a bit pale for my tastes, and, in fact, I find it a bit challenging to read on off-white paper due to its low level of contrast, but it is a lovely ink. For those who like a more ephemeral ink, this would be a good choice for journaling or correspondence. Where I see myself using it most often is in calligraphy, since the level of shading in a wide nib is simply gorgeous.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5214279157_9af378cd52.jpg

J. Herbin fountain pen inks come in a 30ml bottle with an integrated pen rest that is suitable for displaying on top of one's desk. In fact, the colored labels provide a nice burst of color when one has a significant collection assembled.

J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis is a very pretty ink that will appeal to those that like softer, more artistically inclined inks. Those that prefer bold inks that produce consistent lines, however, should avoid it.

Review materials: For the wide strokes, I used three calligraphy pens: Pilot Parallel 6.0mm and 3.8mm pens, and a 1.9 mm Lamy Joy. All three have steel nibs. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy EF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper is Rhodia 80g.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• Inkquest

• kwpalzang

• Fabienne

I was not very impressed with this ink, I found it to be very much like Lamy Blue. That said, I must provide the disclaimer that I tend to like very saturated, dark inks, or bright, loud, and obnoxious ones. :embarrassed_smile:

No matter my opinion of the color, your review is stunning!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Oh, but I loved Lamy Blue, at least judging from the sample cartridge they gave me in my Safari. A nice light and cheery colour, but not very water resistant. I think that Bleu Myosotis may be a bit more green, is this correct?

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Were it not for its complete lack of water resistance, Bleu Myosotis would be my most used ink. Its strange, emphemeral-blue-dries-to-slightly-more-purple colour is enchanting, and its behaviour is stellar - I use it for testing new pens; I've tried Waterman Florida Blue for this purpose, but Myosotis flows better, which is saying something. The scan shows, on my monitor, a slightly darker colour than the ink shows on paper for me, even when wet. Accepting that Myosotis is less likely than many inks to last centuries and centuries, and is vulnerable to spills, highly reccommended.

Oh, but I loved Lamy Blue, at least judging from the sample cartridge they gave me in my Safari. A nice light and cheery colour, but not very water resistant. I think that Bleu Myosotis may be a bit more green, is this correct?

I wouldn't say it is more green, but that is just MHO. To me, they look very near identical. Other than wanting different behavior properties (which I am too "new" to nit-pick about/want to take advantage of), I would say you probably wouldn't need both inks, they are that similar. People with more discerning tastes would probably tell you that the two are totally different! They both remind me of what I think of as a periwinkle blue. I think Herbin should have named this ink Bleu Pervenche. I was hoping Bleu Myosotis would be more lavender-ish, as it appears in certain swabs online. I purchased it as one of my first inks, and I have learned a lot since. I have also gifted my bottle to someone who will appreciate it. This is a very nice ink, if it's your cup of tea. It just isn't for me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 2 months later...

I love writing with this ink. Thank you for making it look so magnificent, David.

I love this ink as well - the first blue that I purchased.

I like this ink. Only "trouble" is that I found that had to get used to it. It's not a blue, it's not a gray, it wasn't supposed to be . If you have lots of blues and grays and violets (or purples) etc, then you should try this one on for size too. It is intended to be a new colour of its own. IMO very subtle. The name says it all.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

One of my favorite Herbin's 4 personal correspondence....antique-y different color is a mood setter.

Edited by SnowLeopard

• 6 months later...

Grrrr - I had just decided on my next pen to use and the ink for it, and then I read this review. So, scrap all plans and prepare the pale blue Rotring Surf for the Herbin Bleu Myosotis I've just ordered.

Sometimes I hate FPN. :)

Edited by PDW

I am over here drooling, I absolutely love your mini-review.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

nice color and interesting calligraphic technique!

Speaking of colors, what is the ink used in the writing sample in your signature?

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Thanks for reminding me of the subtlety of this marvelous ink! Now I must take my bottle off the shelf and ink a favorite cursive italic pen with it. Succinct and accurate review!

• 2 weeks later...