Pilot Parallel Pen

WontonST

First Impressions (8/10)

After watching many other people using this pen and being amazed at the amount of control, I decided to get one of these pens. It doesn’t disappoint. Only gripe is that the pen is completely plastic and feels a bit cheap. Of course, I’ve been using heavy metallic pens for too long.

Appearance (7/10)

Aesthetically it’s quite minimalistic. Very simple cap and pen body labeled PILOT Parallel Pen. No 14k gold here. I love the nib though, reminds me of my automatic pen.

Design/Size/Weight (5/10)

In a way this reminds me of a cheaper feeling version of a rOtring artpen. It’s extremely light and a little bit long (which is just perfect for me). It uses a cap that unscrews with is a little annoying, but other than that it’s generally fine.

Nib (10/10)

This is the main reason I bought this pen, and it moves just like an automatic pen. The amount of control offered is astounding for its cost.

Filling System (2/10)

This is where the pen’s drawback’s located, and as many people mentioned, there’s something wrong with the converter-pen joint. It’s extremely loose and can pop off when unscrewing the pen which turns into a nice mess if uncareful. Definitely could use some revision.

Cost and Value (10/10)

For $11.27, I think this was more than worth it. However, we must see if it will stand the test of time.

Conclusion (7/10)

For a pen of this low price and this high performance, I would say as long as it lasts for than a 2 years assuming no accidents occur, it would be worth every penny.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2eda96u.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/219cv3n.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zzrs5v.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/24kzjp3.jpg

-WontonST

www.sanjosecalligraphy.com

www.wontonst.info

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Struthious

• WontonST

• lovemy51

• opus7600

Hey,

I am looking into this pen but I am entirely new to calligraphy.

What is the nib width you used for writing the example above? The 3,8mm?

Thx,

Mathieu

Respectfully disagreeing since 1978.

Hey,

I am looking into this pen but I am entirely new to calligraphy.

What is the nib width you used for writing the example above? The 3,8mm?

Thx,

Mathieu

It's generally accepted that the larger the nib, the easier it is to control/see your work.

The pen pictured is a 6.0mm, and I would recommend it for starters, although the paper/ink consumption is also significantly higher.

-WontonST

www.wontonst.info

just bought one today... still don't know if i like it. i lack control (too wet, yet it skips, etc)... i need practice writing with it, i guess...

I wish I had read this BEFORE I tried to use the converter. The instructions call it a converter, but they also word it to imply the converter is more of a flushing out / cleaning mechanism. I was looking forward to filling one or two of these with odd-ball inks. Maybe I have a gasket that I'll try... if it works I'll post here again. I think there's someone on flickr who may have a solution too... wish me luck.

I feel a lot more like I did before than I do now.

I wish I had read this BEFORE I tried to use the converter. The instructions call it a converter, but they also word it to imply the converter is more of a flushing out / cleaning mechanism. I was looking forward to filling one or two of these with odd-ball inks. Maybe I have a gasket that I'll try... if it works I'll post here again. I think there's someone on flickr who may have a solution too... wish me luck.

Okay, I've found that some converters fit well, others fit too loose. Some folks are suggesting the converter is only for cleaning, others suggest to refill used cartridges, and still others suggest the old eye dropper fill for the entire pen body.

The most helpful info I found was here, in a Flickr set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carmelscribe/sets/72157622082982460/with/3835920187/

I am not a calligraphy guy, but I have one of these I received as a gift a while back. I intend to put a highlighter ink in it eventually.

- I have the 6.0 mm and the 3.8 mm and they work fine for me with the converter if you push it in really hard.

If you don't do this the converter is likely to fall out at any given moment.

I have been using the pens with an array of different inks, works great :)!

(Don't sue me if you break your pen though.... Good luck!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carmelscribe/sets/72157622082982460/with/3835920187/

Wow, I never thought of that. And it doesn't leak?

I guess the worse case scenario is that you accidentally open it, expecting a converter.

-WontonST

www.wontonst.info

The Pilot Parallel pen takes an innovative approach to flat pen design that combines the best aspects, it offers crisp edges, sharp hairlines and a totally accurate, smooth flow of ink for beginners and seasoned lettering artists.

http://www.flickr.co...ith/3835920187/

Wow, I never thought of that. And it doesn't leak?

I guess the worse case scenario is that you accidentally open it, expecting a converter.

So far no leaking.

I've filled one 3.8mm with Noodlers V. Mail Burma Road Brown, and one 3.8mm with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

I've worked with both pens last night and this morning with no leakage. That said, I am wondering what a mess

it will be to open them and clean them when its time to refill them or change the color. I'm not looking forward to that.

Hi all,

I LOVE THESE PENS!!!

They are incredibly easy to use and work every time. My only complaint is that it is a really wet writer and most papers I practice on, even the ones that work with dip pen ink and fountain pen ink, tends to bleed and pile up much too easy. But that may also be a good thing depending on the effect you are looking for.

I have the whole set, got one for Christmas a few years ago then bought the rest and along with several boxes of the Pilot ink. By the way, these cartridges are the same ones I use in my Vanishing Point so when they run dry I will refill some with regular ink. I also got the Parallel Pen book from John Neal and the author says she has filled the bodies with ink, sealed the threads with Vaseline or something like that.

I would highly recommend these pens to any one who is a beginner or even professional. Several people in my calligraphy club have them and use them a lot.

Thank you and have a great day!!

James E. Merritt

Thank you and have a great day!!!

James E.Merritt

I'm going to have to get one of these pens. From what I understand, you can fill them with just about anything (watercolor, walnut ink, acrylic inks, etc.) I've got homemade walnut and iron gall inks that are too "dry" to flow well in a Platinum Preppy. I'm glad to hear the Pilot Parallel is a wet writer. That might just work. Also thrilled to learn you can use them like an eyedropper pen. Thanks for the review! I know what I want Santa to bring me...

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

UPDATE:

One of my new Parallel pens (with the body filled with ink) does leak just a little bit.

I was not using any 'goop' to seal the threads.

I will try that (as JamesEM mentions) and hopefully that will solve the problem.

I think I saw some type of oil/lubricant/sealant for sale the last time I placed an online order.

I am not a calligraphy guy, but I have one of these I received as a gift a while back. I intend to put a highlighter ink in it eventually.

hmm! this is a good idea. thx!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow... I just tried treating the American Eel inks as if

they were Pilot inks in my Parallel pens...
and they mix in this really cool way.

Please disregard my disregard for properly formed calligraphic letters,

and just check out the inks blending... I think it's interesting

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5296566109_bb57ba3b57_b.jpg

Great review!

I'll let you in on a secret. You can use the Pilot con-20 pump converter with your favourite fountain pen ink. My new blackletter signature below was done on the Pilot Parallel 3.8mm. I also have the set. Another option is empty one of the ink cartridge that came along with your Pilot Parallel and fill it with you favourite fountain pen ink.

Edited by Signum1