Waterman Kultur

Bart1979

Hi there,

My first very brief review over here of a FP.

In other topics I have discussed my Lamy Logo, Pelikan M150 and my new Montblanc Starwalker rollerball.

Since I still wanted a type of demonstrator FP I have been looking around for one for a while. The TWSBI is nice, but not easy to get to in Europe, and the Pelikan M205 demo is also nice but I was looking for something low-budget after my expensive Montblanc ;-).

So I browed some auction sites and so I found the Waterman Kultur in a clear version (which is in effect a demo version of their Philéas model).

At only 8 Euro I couldn´t resist it and bought one with a fine nib and included a converter into the package. A few days later it arrived in the mail in a nice but very basic cardboard Waterman box.

I must admit that it has surprised my in a positive way. It is quite a chunky pen, but of course lightweight. A nice size nib (steel, of course) with some Art-Deco engraving/stamping and a solid chrome plated clip. It writes OK unposted, but seems more in balance when posted. The cap is a click-on.

The writing was a bit scratchy at first, but it has started to run in now so it is improving. The standard Waterman converter works just fine and I have inked it with Waterman blue-black that I had laying around. The line width is a fine indeed, a lot finer than my F nib on the Lamy Logo that I also own. Perticularly nice is to see the ink flow in the feed towards the nib, very cool.

All in all, a nice addition to my collection and a bargain for this price (it was new in the box).

The pen is already discontinued for some time but still available through online resellers or auction stites.

Some pictures of my daily runners now (Waterman Kultur FP and a Montblanc Starwalker resin rollerball) as well as one with one of my watches (a Maurice Lacroix, I thought it was a nice combo of stuff like this ;-)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/bart1979_photos/IMAG0082.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/bart1979_photos/IMAG0083.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/bart1979_photos/IMAG0085.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk319/bart1979_photos/IMAG0086.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• countrydirt

• vickiehof

• watch_art

• mori45

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kultur is a great little pen. Glad you have discovered it. Enjoy your new finds!

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

I have 2 of the Kultur pens that I purchased from FPN members. They feel good in my hand, write very well and I enjoy them. They've never given me a moment of any problem.

Very nice pen. Did you try to use it as an eyedropper filler?

+1. It does make a very nice eyedropper/demonstrator, so if you haven't tried it yet, it is something to think about.

My clear Kultur was always dry and hard to start; I had to screw the piston to force ink to the nib to start the capillary action every time I tried to write with it which was very frustrating. (I've tried dish soap, etc. etc.)

I've found that it now writes immediately since I've switched to a Noodler's eel ink. The J. Herbin 1670 ink also works well.

Edited by vickiehof

I had two of these. I always had to turn down the darn converter knob. I disliked that, so I ubercleaned the pens with ammonia (diluted with water of course) and they wrote fine for quite awhile. I gave them away as gifts.

Very nice pen. Did you try to use it as an eyedropper filler?

+1. It does make a very nice eyedropper/demonstrator, so if you haven't tried it yet, it is something to think about.

Yes they make good EDs. I just put some grease on the threads and filled my Kultur with Diamine Grey. It worked well and takes a reasonable amount of ink. A nice pen.