Pilot Plumix Medium Nib Review

ThirdeYe

Here is my review of the Pilot Plumix. Enjoy!

When I went on a late-night stroll to Target, I saw the Pilot Plumix fountain pen on the shelves. Thinking that I already have a Platinum Preppy with a medium nib, the Plumix might end up being redundant. However, I liked the style of the barrel, which looks like a clear, plastic desk pen. So, I splurged and spent $6.37 on the Pilot.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2817/pb200161.jpg

When I got home and opened the package and uncapped the pen, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t have just an ordinary medium nib. It had a medium italic nib! I had been wanting to try one for a while, so I was very pleased with my choice. Nowhere on the package did it say that it had an italic nib. It simply stated “Real Fountain Pen!” along with “Blue Ink, Medium Nib” and “Fine Writing” at the bottom of the package.

The pen is available in the following barrel colors: black, light blue, and purple. I opted for the black/clear barrel. The pen’s cap has little “wings” on it to prevent it from rolling around since it lacks a pocket clip.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1624/pb200156.jpg

All barrel colors come standard with a blue Pilot cartridge, but I opted to use one of my black Pilot cartridges I had lying around instead. As far as I know, the Plumix sold in the U.S. can only use Pilot’s proprietary cartridges and cannot use international cartridges. However, I believe there are some sold overseas that can use international cartridges. One nice feature about the Plumix is that it can be turned into an eyedropper pen without much trouble. Just make sure yours doesn’t have a hole on the end of the barrel before filling it! I’ve heard it can be a 50/50 shot of having one with a hole or not. It can also use one of Pilot's converters, such as the CON-20 or the larger CON-50.

I have been testing this pen extensively since I purchased it, and I have fallen in love with the italic nib. It makes my ordinarily bad cursive writing look amazing (to me, at least). However, there is one minor annoyance I have with the barrel design. It bulges slightly in the middle and causes my hand to hurt a little after a while. Usually though, this is just reminding me that I am gripping the barrel too tight and I need to relax my hand and just let the pen do the work.

The nib on the Plumix is interchangeable with the nib on the Pilot 78g, however I don’t think I will be switching them because the 78g’s nib is gold plated, whereas the Plumix’s nib isn’t gold colored. If it was gold colored, I would probably make the switch on one of my 78gs.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3479/pb200160.jpg

In conclusion, the Pilot Plumix is an excellent pen for the price, especially with its fantastic italic nib. Even if you already have a Preppy or a 78g (my other two favorite <$10 pens), those do not come with an italic option. Definitely put this pen on your list, especially if you’ve been wanting to try an italic nib. If you don't have a Target store nearby, you can also purchase it on Amazon.

From the back of the package:

-Advanced Ink Feed System for smooth writing

-Visible, long-lasting ink supply

-Available in Black, Light Blue and Purple barrel colors with Blue Ink

-Refillable-Use Pilot Ink cartridge UIC50BLU-K

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Direct link to my review: http://derekspensandpencils.blogspot.com/2010/11/pilot-plumix-fountain-pen-review.html

Appearance/Design: 8/10

Construction/Quality: 7/10

Weight/Dimensions: 7/10

Nib/Performance: 9/10

Filling System/Maintenance: 10/10

Cost/Value: 10/10

Conclusion: 51/60

Comments welcome!

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iiixvix

• ScottDHansen

• Alohamora

• ThirdeYe

Good review, I think you've summed it up very well!

Personally, I think the appearance is a little odd, but it's very fun to write with. I use mine mostly for penmanship practice, I think the italic nib makes my writing just a bit better looking.

With regard to eyedropper conversion, it's easy enough to plug the hole with a dab or two of superglue.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I was fortunate to get a European Plumix here; I can use international cartridges. My "B" nib looks like your Medium nib on the American version.

I'd say everybody needs a Plumix. After all, it's easy to refill the proprietary cartridges. The chance to do everyday writing with a smooth little italic nib is not to be missed.

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I love these Plumix or Pluminix, too.. I have several of them, just to use different inks... For me the B nibs of the 78g are a little too wide, but the M of the Plumix-Pluminix are perfect. In Europe, we find them available only for international cartridges, that's right.

I changed the B nibs of two 78g for pluminix nibs too, to have cheap and very pleasant medium italic pens with a classical look and a converter. With my waterman Man 100 and my Pel 605, these two pens are the most often used

Edited by yoplaboum

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

ThirdeYe, thanks for your great review of this pen.

I'm another fan of these pens - I have 6 Plumix and 12 Pluminix in various colours. For such a cheap pen the nib is really very nice to write with and I much prefer it to the B nib on the 78G pen. It's a really nice width for everyday writing and I use them in my journals. I also find the grip on them comfortable and because the feed/nib part can be turned I can get that and the grip part adjusted to suit the way I hold the pen. I just refill the cartridges using a syringe. I've tried using a converter (the twist-filling gold coloured and plastic Pilot one) in the longer Plumix but had problems with the flow of the ink - seems to flow a lot better from a cartridge for some reason.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

This pen was my first introduction to fountain pens. I prefer it to some other "real" fountain pens I've tried so far. Everyone should really try one of these pens at least once!

So far I've found the pen to be a bit scratchy. That being a bunch of pressure is needed to leave a darker mark on he paper. I am going to try loading it with some of my Noodler's ink (Heart of Darkness) that I have at the office. Once I have a go at that I will report back to see if the pen flows a bit better after a flush and refill.

I drained the pen&pilot cartridge and rinsed. I then I loaded the cartridge pen with some noodler Heart of Darkness. I think it is performing a bit better. I will try again tomorrow. I would still say this pen is a bit rougher then I would like. Is this just the feel to an 'italic' nib?

I've been writing with mine for a while and it seems to have gotten smoother with time (and several flushings/refills). It writes wetter and more smoothly than my new 78g (I'm hoping it will write as well as my Plumix with some breaking in).

I wouldn't say my italic Plumix or 78g are rougher than regular nibs, but the edges can catch when I'm writing quickly. They're both infinitely smoother than my Lamy Safari (which cost 3x as much ugh).

Thanks for the review and bringing Pluminix/Plumix onto my radar. I have been wondering how to get a 0.9mm italic nib to try and this fits the bill perfectly.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

• 1 year later...

The Plumix is my first fountain pen and so far I really like it it can be a bit fickle for my handwriteing so I am getting a bit of skipping, i am not shure if thats me or not though. I also had a bit of trouble with the inital ink flow but again that was probibly me.

Do you know what the range of nibs for these are? If Target is carrying them, I might check to see if one of the stores by me has them (I presume in the office supplies department?). I had been thinking about trying a 78G, but if these have the same nibs....

Also, do you know if there is a converter that fits them?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Con-20 that came with my 78g fits easily inside my Plumix. I don't have the Con-50, so I can't verify it myself, but I've read it fits.

They're in the office supply department of Target, yes. Every Target I've checked for them has carried them. Nibs are comparable to the 78g, but I find the weight and body shape of the 78g more pleasant for extended writing periods than the Plumix.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."