Noodlers Black Swan In Australian Roses

farseer911

Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses

First off I did not see what I thought I would see. Maybe someone with a better hand would have more luck. This was a dry slow starting ink for me.

But the photo explains it all....

One note the scanner did enhance some of the contrast on its own. the actual ink was more flat with less noticeable shading.

http://home.ptd.net/~farseer/newnoodlers.jpg

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• farseer911

• arz

• Raiche58

• cubic archon

I think it looks like a pretty color, but I don't think I'll be fighting anyone for it.

I think my experience with PDL must be quite different from others'. To me it is a light, dusty purple, not burgundy or red/pinkish toned at all. I've seen it described as burgundy, but I don't get that at all from the bottle I have.

Your dry time/smear test is very interesting. It looks like the blackish pigment is what is smearing, and the red/pinky color is what is being absorbed.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Secondary Note---

Went to use the Pilot 74 with the Medium Italic just a few minutes ago. It will not start. Never had this happen, I had to dip it to start it again.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

Wow, looks beautiful to me! Can't wait for my bottle to arrive.

+1 (except for the dryness :mellow: )

Dusky, deep burgundy and purple are my absolute favorites and this one seems especially interesting.

It will be fun to experiment with different nibs and see what we can come up with.

Edit:

I just read the review from Goulet, which is very exciting! https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/175053-an-epic-day-today-at-gouletpenscom/page__gopid__1757453#entry1757453

Edited by arz

I think it looks like a pretty color, but I don't think I'll be fighting anyone for it. I think my experience with PDL must be quite different from others'. To me it is a light, dusty purple, not burgundy or red/pinkish toned at all. I've seen it described as burgundy, but I don't get that at all from the bottle I have. Your dry time/smear test is very interesting. It looks like the blackish pigment is what is smearing, and the red/pinky color is what is being absorbed.

I agree, In my experience PDL is a dusky purple, with no red/burgundy to it aat all. It's very similar to Diamine Damson in tone.

OP - have you tried watering it down a little. Maybe its so viscous its struggling to get through the feed. I have to water PR Eb Purp for the same reasons.

Hi,

Thank-you very much for the quick hand-written samples. :thumbup:

Personally, I think the colour as depicted is just fine - I too like the dusky warm colours; and if it shades, so much the better.

I had the impression from the Mr Tardiff (sp?) video that the ink was designed with flex nibs in mind. So perhaps the maximum 'Look' can best be achieved using such nibs.

Perhaps the leisurely dry time can be accommodated by those who work more slowly & deliberately with flex nibs. (?)

And a bit of dilution to both open-up the shading, enhance the flow and perhaps shorten dry times might be something to investigate. But, I wonder if the viscosity of the ink necessary for effective use with flex nibs?

I still have not managed to achieve more than very modest competence with flex nibs - I tend to write quickly, rather than work more deliberately to utilise a flex nib. Doing so makes my writing look like drawing, without flow or cadence.

A full bottle? Not quite yet. Samples are more likely for me. It just might be the ink that makes flex nibs 'worth it' to me.

Seems to me, at this time, that this will be very much a 'YMMV' ink. Or not.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Great review. The color is wonderful. I love burgundy inks with lots of purple. I'm interested to see how the ink behaves in terms of staining after being in a pen for a while. Staining has been pretty much my only issue with Noodler's ink. Otherwise, I love it.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Great review. The color is wonderful. I love burgundy inks with lots of purple. I'm interested to see how the ink behaves in terms of staining after being in a pen for a while. Staining has been pretty much my only issue with Noodler's ink. Otherwise, I love it.

Really never had it happen, and I used over 40, even BSB did very well in my pilots.

With regard to shading. . . I suspect it will be necessary to experiment with nibs, paper and possibly blotting in order to maximize the effect.

My understanding is that the two components -- color component and black component -- have different soak-in characteristics. So, the trick would be setting up some kind of dynamic where the black goes one place and the purple goes another place. This seems to be (AFAIK) an entirely new thing in inks, so it'll take some learning how to work it.

It should be fun. I have a bottle on the way.

I'm also getting some other inks known for strong shading: PR Sepia, Herbin Vert Empire, Edelstein Topaz. These should be interesting to compare.

Secondary Note---

Went to use the Pilot 74 with the Medium Italic just a few minutes ago. It will not start. Never had this happen, I had to dip it to start it again.

Just speculating here, but I suspect that Nathan made this ink pretty dry, since it is intended for flexible nib pens. All of my flexible nib pens (except for a full flex added Binder XXF M250 nib) will work well only with inks on the drier end of the scale.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, since I bought your ink. :bunny01:

Secondary Note---

Just speculating here, but I suspect that Nathan made this ink pretty dry, since it is intended for flexible nib pens. All of my flexible nib pens (except for a full flex added Binder XXF M250 nib) will work well only with inks on the drier end of the scale.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, since I bought your ink. :bunny01:

Brian Goulet's review mentions that he finds it "a pretty wet writing ink" in the message I linked above, so it's definitely proving to be a mystery ink so far!

Brian Goulet's review mentions that he finds it "a pretty wet writing ink" in the message I linked above, so it's definitely proving to be a mystery ink so far!

It could be the Pilots I use do not like it. Pens are fickle creatures!!!

I really want to try it in my Waterman with a full flex nib to see if it does any differently....or see someone else's experience with it in a really flexy pen....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses

First off I did not see what I thought I would see. Maybe someone with a better hand would have more luck. This was a dry slow starting ink for me.

But the photo explains it all....

One note the scanner did enhance some of the contrast on its own. the actual ink was more flat with less noticeable shading.

http://home.ptd.net/~farseer/newnoodlers.jpg

Gosh, what a gorgeous color! I wish Nathan would make a 100% bulletproof version!

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I have tested my bottle from GouletPens in a Lamy Safari-M, Levenger True Writer- M, and Waterman Phileas-M. It is nice and wet last night and again after left sitting again today. No skipping or flow problems. It is a rich, dark burgundy, reminding me of ripe black cherries. I see some feathering on routine copy paper or Ampad Gold Fibre tablets, but none on HP Laserjet Premium 32#, or Clairefontaine Triomphe. Those papers give some shading, but it is a concentrated and dark enough ink, that like Sandy says, you would have to dilute it to get more shading. The red halo effect is quite striking, but only seen on kleenex.

I'm very happy with it, and this is a worthwhile addition to my collection. :bunny01:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Hi,

I had the impression from the Mr Tardiff (sp?) video that the ink was designed with flex nibs in mind. So perhaps the maximum 'Look' can best be achieved using such nibs.

Perhaps the leisurely dry time can be accommodated by those who work more slowly & deliberately with flex nibs. (?)

This is so. In the video, Nathan says that the effect happens when the tines are spread, pressing hard on the paper as two separate points, with a web of ink between the tines.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Only pen it is having flow problems in is my Pilot with a Double broad nib. I have concluded it is the pen not the ink. The pen just doesn't like the ink. Fickle sometimes aren't they?!?